• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Apollo, Standard General make $8 billion bid for Tegna

Either WSB or WXIA/WATL would have to be sold. There are a number of other conflicts as other posters will point out.

Charlotte is another market in the crosshairs. Apollo (Cox) owns WSOC and WAXN while Tegna owns WCNC.

Last edited:
Here in Houston the result would be a six station TV-Radio cluster, as Tegna owns KHOU and KTBU, and Cox has four FMs. The two existing studio facilities are only a few blocks from each other, so I would guess management and sales functions could be combined at one of the locations, and if they could squeeze it, the radio and TV broadcast operations could be combined at the TV site.

Guessing that under the Apollo-Standard General scenario that the Tegna stations would be folded into the Cox Media Group.

Haven't seen any further news about a counter-offer from Allen Media.

who ever buys TEGNA out, they should offer Disney WFAA so that way, Disney can have a O&O in the Dallas Market as ABC is the only big 4 network that don't have a O&O station in the DFW market while NBC, CBS and Fox owns 2 stations in the market.

who ever buys TEGNA out, they should offer Disney WFAA so that way, Disney can have a O&O in the Dallas Market as ABC is the only big 4 network that don't have a O&O station in the DFW market while NBC, CBS and Fox owns 2 stations in the market.
Sounds good in theory for Disney to take over WFAA but in practice probably not given that Disney is more interested in streaming than OTA TV at this point.

More like Byron Allen, and Apollo as the candidates.

Tegna currently has a duopoly in DFW with WFAA and KMPX. They do have an option in place to sell the current WFAA RF8 signal to Estrella Media sometime before early 2026, which would result in KMPX becoming the “new” WFAA.

Sounds good in theory for Disney to take over WFAA but in practice probably not given that Disney is more interested in streaming than OTA TV at this point.

More like Byron Allen, and Apollo as the candidates.

This isn't necessarily directed towards you, RadioPatrol, but I get very irritated and annoyed each time I see this statement about Disney not wanting to buy TV stations. I've always believed that if given the right time, and at the right price, Disney can scoop-up any TV stations (whether they're already affiliated with ABC or otherwise) they wish. Unless there's factual proof that Disney/ABC comes out and let it be known that they're not interested in buying any terrestrial stations, all it is conjecture and speculation...it's the same BS I used to read over on TVNewstalk, and it's more ridiculous there.

Last edited:

Update Apollo the Owners of Cox Media has announce cuts at some of their outlets.

This isn't necessarily directed towards you, RadioPatrol, but I get very irritated and annoyed each time I see this statement about Disney not wanting to buy TV stations. I've always believed that if given the right time, and at the right price, Disney can scoop-up any TV stations (whether they're already affiliated with ABC or otherwise) they wish. Unless there's factual proof that Disney/ABC comes out and let it be known that they're not interested in buying any terrestrial stations, all it is conjecture and speculation...it's the same BS I used to read over on TVNewstalk, and it's more ridiculous there.
I don't see Disney interested in more TV stations for the following reasons:

1. They are focused, and heavily investing in, streaming. If anything they may become a seller of some assets to boost the streaming aspect and they don't NEED to own an affiliate for it to be an effective vehicle to push people to streaming.

2. The largest money maker for Terrestrial by far at this stage is cable retransmission fees, which will continue to shrink as the vast majority make the transition to streaming.

3. While paid streaming has a viable financial model going forward (subscriptions) they have yet to come up with a viable streaming model for local stations, and really local stations only draw is news

Of course, I could be wrong. Everyone could be wrong. But if all this holds I just don't see OTA being the draw it once was. Even if making the argument that advertising is a big draw, increasingly advertisers are spending in streaming which allows them to target advertising to the demos and locations they want with greater precision than even cable once could. And Hulu makes MORE than ABC (Ad revenue is almost 50/50, but subscription fees definitely push it over the top).

I don't see Disney interested in more TV stations for the following reasons:

1. They are focused, and heavily investing in, streaming. If anything they may become a seller of some assets to boost the streaming aspect and they don't NEED to own an affiliate for it to be an effective vehicle to push people to streaming.

2. The largest money maker for Terrestrial by far at this stage is cable retransmission fees, which will continue to shrink as the vast majority make the transition to streaming.

3. While paid streaming has a viable financial model going forward (subscriptions) they have yet to come up with a viable streaming model for local stations, and really local stations only draw is news

Of course, I could be wrong. Everyone could be wrong. But if all this holds I just don't see OTA being the draw it once was. Even if making the argument that advertising is a big draw, increasingly advertisers are spending in streaming which allows them to target advertising to the demos and locations they want with greater precision than even cable once could. And Hulu makes MORE than ABC (Ad revenue is almost 50/50, but subscription fees definitely push it over the top).

Don't forget there's streaming retransmission services like YouTube tv, Fubo and Hulu Live. I'm not so sure how much Tegna, Gray, Nexstar, Sinclair, Hearst, Scripps, Cox and Allen media get in streaming retrans like Fubo, Hulu Live and YouTube TV or if these streaming retrans services for now are included in cable retrans data.

I also agree. If Disney wanted more TV stations, there have been no shortage of opportunities in recent years, and there have been no purchases nor any suggestions that they bid and lost out.

- Trip

Don't forget there's streaming retransmission services like YouTube tv, Fubo and Hulu Live. I'm not so sure how much Tegna, Gray, Nexstar, Sinclair, Hearst, Scripps, Cox and Allen media get in streaming retrans like Fubo, Hulu Live and YouTube TV or if these streaming retrans services for now are included in cable retrans data.
Sure, but long term, I think those streaming retransmission services are just transitionary services. They too will soon raise rates beyond what is considered "affordable" for most, and in the long term what people what most is either an on-demand streaming slate of programming (commercial free or with commercials) or local news/sports. If someone can get 90% of the entertainment they want for under $50 a month, most would do that. (and honestly, it's probably much more common to have one or two streaming services that have "enough" programming to keep someone entertained).

Local news, for the most part, is available on the website of the local TV station (and can serve up more targeted ads that demand more than generally targeted ones) and local sports have long been seen by some as "too expensive to watch" now that people can see $20 "sports fees" on their bills. I suspect that will soon be solved by subscription services as well (I think Sinclair even said as much, with Bally's looking to add a subscription streaming package early next year).

If I were a big local TV owner, I'd be looking hard at my business model right now. Yes, there is still money in it today, but that will continue to shrink. This is why even COMCAST is all in on streaming, because they fully realize the need to make up for the loss of revenue for OTA/Cable TV. It will always continue to amaze me that Fox sold the parts of their business that represent the future of entertainment, but kept the legacy stuff (Broadcast TV and Cable News).

Allen media is also named as a candidate to get KIKU-TV in Hawaii to form a duopoly with KITV the ABC affiliate on the islands.

Back
Top Bottom