• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the Week: 830

Status
Not open for further replies.
830 in the day here it's WEEU Reading -- 'The Voice'. They are the second-loudest AM on the dial. Yet they're not especially splashy onto 820 or 840 with the
GE SR2.
They were on 850 when we moved to here from Queens NYC, but changed their xmtr site and frequency. I haven't seen ther latest tower farm yet. But the coordinates put 5 sticks closer to our nearby county seat Pottsville than they are to COL Reading. In the day now they're IDable on Long Island's South Shore.
(Their old tower site was -- iIrc -- 4 sticks in a line at the Broadcastiers Plaza exit along the famed Road To Nowhere. Lol -- during traffic reports, area stations would refer to it by that name. For the record, the completed road is now used as part of U.S.222 that connects Allentown and Lancaster. Check out The Road to Nowhere on Wiki. It was a P*$$er for a while.)
WCCO was a faint, faithful nightlight on 830 early on here. But on a few idle occasions over the years at SSS and even nights I got a flurry of things on 830. I have those 'heard' ones as WETR, WXII and WTRU. I thought I'd scored a hat trick for the log totals!
Only DXers can know the utter despair of dicovering that all of those letters were the calls of just one and the same facility!

Last edited:
Far northwest suburban Chicago....

Days: Splatter from local WCPT (820).

Night: Usually all WCCO (Minneapolis) alone with a good signal. WUMY (3kw Memphis) sometimes "forgets" to sign off and becomes a pest. Same was also true for the now defunct WQZQ, only 2kw from the Nashville area...but just as much of a pest.

Other location: At our beach location near, Pensacola, KGLA from Norco, Louisiana is in dayand night with a fair signal. Even when they drip from 5kw to 750 watt night power. Cuba usually underneath if not mixing.

Shout out to David for snagging little 250-watt KIKI from Honolulu at his home location while growing up in Cleveland, I was in high school in Honolulu a couple of years later, and KIKI was weaker than the other Honolulu signals at our apartment between Waikiki beach and downtown!
Ah...KGLA, a set of calls used decades ago by SoCal's famous KOST 103.5, BTW we have a "Norco" here in SoCal...it stands for "North Corona" which is, not surprisingly just north of Corona, CA.

Another bit of trivia, KGLA was originally licensed to Glendale, CA.

A quick hit amid swimming through oceans of packing paper in Denver - at 830 at 5:30 pm - nothing. But there seems to be a source of noise in the house so I'll try again. Halfway between locals 810 and 850 so maybe it's kind of a dead zone?

At the old location in Oakland - nothing daytimes; nothing nighttimes.

A quick hit amid swimming through oceans of packing paper in Denver - at 830 at 5:30 pm - nothing. But there seems to be a source of noise in the house so I'll try again. Halfway between locals 810 and 850 so maybe it's kind of a dead zone?

At the old location in Oakland - nothing daytimes; nothing nighttimes.
Got a chance to step out and try to see what comes in on 830 at night in Denver. Answer: apparently nothing. I did get a little bit of noise from local 810 KLVZ which is running AM IBOC...even though one radio was on 3.5 kHz bandwidth and the other on 3 and 4. I'm surprised there was no hint of WCCO. Perhaps KLVZ's IBOC carriers are causing a deadening effect.

From NW San Antonio:

Day: blank

Sunset: XEITE in Mexico City starts to come up.

Night: XEITE is most dominant with WCCO sometimes mixing in and occasionally taking over. At times there is splatter from 820 WBAP. On rare occasions I've heard XELN in Linares mixing in with regional Mexican music. If I aim E/W, I can get a partial null of XEITE and hear KGLA "Tropical" in Norco, LA, in and out.

Sunrise: XELN is usually heard briefly under XEITE when it goes to day power.

DX/Retro: I caught KDRI in Tucson once at sunrise back in 2016. Before XEIK in Piedras Negras was retired, it was a regular at sunset. Also, XELK in Zacatecas was often in the nighttime mix before its retirement.

Got a chance to step out and try to see what comes in on 830 at night in Denver. Answer: apparently nothing. I did get a little bit of noise from local 810 KLVZ which is running AM IBOC...even though one radio was on 3.5 kHz bandwidth and the other on 3 and 4. I'm surprised there was no hint of WCCO. Perhaps KLVZ's IBOC carriers are causing a deadening effect.
Tried again tonight about 9:30 pm...and this time it was WCCO with a steady signal. Receiver was a Digitech AR-1780, using a 3 kHz bandwidth.

Same as Keno Guy from my location. However, having relatives in New England, I must say that WCRN Worcester does seem to get out there. It was the main 830 signal at my mom's in W. Lebanon, NH and I've picked it up just east of Albany, NY and west of Hartford, CT as well. In the latter two cases, I've heard it fighting with WCCO and/or WEEU down in the mud.

Warminster PA(Philly 'burbs):
Semi-local WEEU Reading PA(formerly 850)both day and night. Used to hear WCCO often at night, but thanks to WEEU, I miss hearing WCCO. Also, WNYC in New York was on 830 until around 1987, when it moved to 820.

Last edited:
South Mississippi:

Day: KGLA Norco, LA - Tropical 105.7
Night: mostly XEITE Mexico City - Radio Capital, rarely get Newstalk 830 WCCO Minneapolis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom