• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the Week: 830

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberdad

Staff member
Far northwest suburban Chicago....

Days: Splatter from local WCPT (820).

Night: Usually all WCCO (Minneapolis) alone with a good signal. WUMY (3kw Memphis) sometimes "forgets" to sign off and becomes a pest. Same was also true for the now defunct WQZQ, only 2kw from the Nashville area...but just as much of a pest.

Other location: At our beach location near, Pensacola, KGLA from Norco, Louisiana is in dayand night with a fair signal. Even when they drip from 5kw to 750 watt night power. Cuba usually underneath if not mixing.

Shout out to David for snagging little 250-watt KIKI from Honolulu at his home location while growing up in Cleveland, I was in high school in Honolulu a couple of years later, and KIKI was weaker than the other Honolulu signals at our apartment between Waikiki beach and downtown!

Daytime in Rochester NY it's been empty since CFJR Brockville ON moved to FM years ago. At night, WCCO and sometimes WCRN.

Hartland, VT:

Days: A faint WCRN Worcester, MA, with conservative talk.
Nights: Weak signal hash, can't pick out any one station.

Meriden, CT:

Days: WCRN, much stronger
Nights: WEEU Reading, PA, takes over the frequency around sunset, but the frequency turns to mush after a couple of hours.

Shout out to David for snagging little 250-watt KIKI from Honolulu at his home location while growing up in Cleveland, I was in high school in Honolulu a couple of years later, and KIKI was weaker than the other Honolulu signals at our apartment between Waikiki beach and downtown!
Many of the Midwestern and Northeastern DXers in that era heard KIKI if they had a decent antenna and a receiver in the HQ-180 category. I was using that particular Hammarlund and a 40" altazmuth loop that was in the attic. A fellow DXer, who was an engineer at TRW, helped me use servo mechanisms to tune and set loop angles, and I used a TV rotor to turn it.

There was a narrow window to hear KIKI due to the early sign on of the Argentine station in Salta which, despite just 5 kw power, would often dominate 830 after 4 AM.

Kenosha, WI- Days- On a VERY good radio at a quiet location (usually, but not always near Lake Michigan) I can hear a very weak WMMI Shepherd, MI, just about the middle of Michigan's Lower Peninsula. 1000 Watts day only. The first time I heard it was on a boat in the Kenosha harbor in the mid-90s. The last time I heard it was yesterday in my old truck with a Pioneer AM-FM-CD radio and 30" fender-mounted whip. The Pioneer has a VERY hot tuner.

Nights- WCCO usually with a good signal.

A few months ago, I heard WTRU Kernersville, NC at about 4:45 AM. I assume they had just fired up their 50KW day power.

Wilmington Delaware

Days - WEEU Reading PA with a good signal.

Nights - WEEU with a weaker signal and some back round interference.

WEEU changed frequencies several years ago from 850 to 830 which eliminated any chance of me hearing WCCO. I used to enjoy hearing weather reports on WCCO when I was a kid to hear how much snow they had or how cold it was there in winter.

Melbourne FL

830 - WACC - Hialeah - Radio Paz - Spanish - Catholic - 2023 - most commonly heard

830 - HIJB - Santo Domingo - “Jota Be” - Spanish

830 - WTRU - Kernersville NC - 830 – WTRU - The Truth Christian talk - SRN (around sunset)

830 - CMBD - Holguin - Radio Reloj - Spanish – news & time

KW

Here in Wood Dale, IL in the near NW suburb of Chicago:

Daytime: nothing
Nighttime: usually WCCO. Sometimes KGLA Norco, LA forgets to power down and mixes with WCCO.

DX/Retro: some other logs include WCRN (Worcester, MA), WKTX (Cortland, OH), WQZQ (Goodlettsville, TN), WMMI (Shepherd, MI), WUMY (Memphis, TN). Also back in 1988 the Cubans used 830 to broadcast Radio Taino with reported 300 kW transmitter from La Julia site, which was quite easily received in the Chicago area. The latest new logs on this frequency are WTRU (Kernersville, NC) and XEITE from Aculco, Mexico. Both heard in 2022.

Pickerington, Ohio ... nothing daytime next to local WVSG on 820. At night, a steady to loud WCCO, still with some WVSG slop in my area.

Chicago by the lakeshore:

Daytime: nothing at all

Nighttime: WCCO is the norm, with fading at times. I have also received the daytimer WMMI in Shephard, Michigan in the evening, and the 50 KW station WCRN in Worcester, MA. Their nighttime pattern is pretty unfavorable but I did manage to snag it once.

WCCO at night. Can't hear it at my place during the day, although just outside my city I can pick it up on my car radio. Nights are all WCCO, although WFNO from Louisiana has interfered at times in the past. Cyberdad reports WUMY Memphis getting in the way. I've suspected that I was hearing WUMY at times but never IDed them. Have gotten an ID on WFNO. But mostly, it's a fairly consistent WCCO.

From the southwest suburbs of Chicago:

Days: nothing.

Nights: WCCO 8-3-0 rules the roost. Solid virtually every night with no interference from local 820 WCPT.

Others over the years: CMCA Havana (listed as such in WRTH, I think); KFYH Spring, Tex. on day power before signoff; WQZQ Goodlettsville, Tenn., with 2 kW in Dec. 2020; WYRU Kernersville, N.C., on likely 10 kW day power after midnight in Oct. 2021; and most recently WKTZ Cortland, Ohio, 1 kW on after bedtime on 1/19/2022, giving WCCO a fight. 1 kW goes a long way.

From west Houston, TX, daytimes are nothing but a little slop from WBAP. Around sunset I hear XEITE in Mexico City with SS religion dominating, with WFNO New Orleans in their null. WCCO is usually audible underneath them. A bit later, around Arizona sunset I've heard KDRI in Tucson with oldies music before they power down. Overnight and at sunrise, it's XEITE mostly, with WFNO and WCCO usually in there.

Nighttime - KHVH Honolulu
KHVH was on 1040 when I was at McKinley High School in Honolulu. "Keep Hawaii Very Hawaiian". All hawaiian music, Commercial free and no jocks. That was all well and good until they flipped to all news that spring. Owner was healthcare magnate Henry Kaiser. He also owned KHVH-TV channel 4. ABC afilliate.

"From Waikiki to Molokai, From Coco Head to Waianae....Everybody listens to KHVH at Ten-four 0". Nobody would have confused that one with a PAMS jingle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom