• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

96.5 = dumpster fire

Who is responsible for the reprehensibly poor ratings performance of WAKS?

How does a station that (supposedly) "plays the hits" only manage a 1.6 share?!?!

Never thought I'd see the day that 107.3 would lead 96.5 in the CLE book by a 2:1 margin!

Kudos to the team at WNWV.

WAKS is even behind WCLV! Even Q104 and Z107.9 are doing better than KISS. Only WONE is behind KISS.

Could the Real format move from 106.1 to 96.5?

Things are definitely bad when two Akron stations are nearly tied with WAKS in the Cleveland book. And, yes, the puny 106.1 translator broadcasting hip-hop is currently tied with 96.5!

My guess is iHM will stick with CHR, but man, what a disappointing performance.

The TX site was moved years ago into the Cleveland market. My guess is the Akron COL was kept to make the move-in an easier approval from an FCC standpoint.

The Kiss format was found at the station now known as 104.9 WCLV originally.

The current classical music format found at 104.9 used to be found at 95.5 (now home to Christian AC, 95.5 The Fish).

The present day WAKS was the original home of Akron's WKDD. A lot of WKDD's at-work listeners were upset when that brand was moved to 98.1 to pave the way for a Cleveland-focused CHR at 96.5. 98.1 used to be a Christian station of some kind, possibly owned by Salem. I believe the call sign was WHK-FM. One of the predecessors to the present day iHM bought the station and moved WKDD there. At the time, 98.1 was more of a Canton-focused signal. WKDD took a big ratings hit. Some time after the big switch, 98.1 WKDD was relocated to a tower site that serves Akron much better. I think they might be using the same tower site as the one used in the 96.5 WKDD era.

Last edited:
Who is responsible for the reprehensibly poor ratings performance of WAKS?

How does a station that (supposedly) "plays the hits" only manage a 1.6 share?!?!
What hits? All I hear is garbage being passed off as "hits".

Though it isn't surprising that their main demographic shifted towards streaming many years ago, and the listeners in that demographic who don't listen to that kind of stuff have no other option other than country.

They should switch to a format that attracts an older audience, but unfortunately, iHM cares nothing about ratings. They just use the same cookie-cutter approach in every market.

The Lake has also been beating out WDOK, plus WMMS has gotten better with its music selection lately.

KISS needs to do something to get the ratings back up.

Flip 96.5 to Urban AC with Steve Harvey mornings. Do an all out assault on WZAK (a 10 share earning radio station).

Right before the flip, direct 96.5 existing listeners to 98.1 WKDD (can't hurt!).

Flip 96.5 to Urban AC with Steve Harvey mornings. Do an all out assault on WZAK (a 10 share earning radio station).

Right before the flip, direct 96.5 existing listeners to 98.1 WKDD (can't hurt!).
I actually fantasized about this. It would be nice to have Steve Harvey on Cleveland radio. Plus, WZAK is #1 and could use come competition.

If not, move the Real format to 96.5 and launch the Urban AC on 106.1 to start.

Mostly over 40, with the median age around 48. 28% is 45 to 54, almost 30% over 55.
Really?! I didn't think listeners in that age range listen to that kind of music. I'm younger than 40, and most of my music consists of light pop from the '90s and '00s and soft rock, not exceeding into the 2010's. I frown upon the vast majority of songs produced since then, and I'm not into rap or hip-hop, with a few exceptions. A lot of music that I listen to is older than I am, including songs from the '60s, '70s & '80s.

Really?! I didn't think listeners in that age range listen to that kind of music.

The bulk of the music is from the 80s. People who were in high school and college during the 80s are now in their 40s and 50s. So this is right in their wheelhouse. Especially for men of that age. They may have listened to WMMS during that time.

The bulk of the music is from the 80s. People who were in high school and college during the 80s are now in their 40s and 50s. So this is right in their wheelhouse. Especially for men of that age. They may have listened to WMMS during that time.
And much of the 80's mass appeal music got played a lot in later decades because it researched better than the 90's and 00's stuff in many cases. So a lot of people in their 30's are familiar with and like plenty of music from that era.

Back
Top Bottom