• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

2022 Television Predictions

The Raiders just won with a field goal 35 to 32 with 2 seconds left.
When it looked for all the world that they would settle for a tie and take the Chargers to the playoffs with them. But the Chargers called a late time out that may have convinced the Raiders that their opponents were actually playing to win and whatever unspoken deal they may have had was off. Now, to check for unusual betting patterns on this game.

Well, here we go. A tie. Overtime. Neither team scores and both teams are in the playoffs. Will either team try to score in these 15 minutes?
The Raiders showed integrity by kicking a last-second FG, rather than taking a knee and screwing over the Steelers. But I have a feeling that ties in the NFL are a thing of the past, and they will adopt the college OT rules next season.

When it looked for all the world that they would settle for a tie and take the Chargers to the playoffs with them. But the Chargers called a late time out that may have convinced the Raiders that their opponents were actually playing to win and whatever unspoken deal they may have had was off. Now, to check for unusual betting patterns on this game.
Is there a shred of evidence there was "whoever unspoken deal" existed?

Is there a shred of evidence there was "whoever unspoken deal" existed?
No, but the NBC announcers mentioned the Chargers' unexpected (at least to them) time out as having, perhaps, convinced the Raiders that playing to win was LA's intention and therefore the Raiders should go for the win. The tie scenario, which would benefit both teams, was brought up several times during the overtime period.

Benefitting both teams though is really different than there being anyone on either team actually contemplating trying to effect that outcome rather than winning. Even if one team felt the tie was in their best interest as time ran down, that is not at all the same as anything resembling an agreement of some sort.

Benefitting both teams though is really different than there being anyone on either team actually contemplating trying to effect that outcome rather than winning. Even if one team felt the tie was in their best interest as time ran down, that is not at all the same as anything resembling an agreement of some sort.
I did say "unspoken." Both teams knew the situation and the coaches on both could have decided to play for the tie without telling anyone on the opposing team. ESPN has a story up now about Raiders QB Derek Carr's postgame comment on the Chargers' late timeout that apparently was misinterpreted. It certainly looks as if both teams were going for the win, at least in the crucial final minutes of OT, but it's not as if collusion to manipulate an outcome to ensure advancement to or within a tournament or playoff is unprecedented. In the 1992 World Cup (soccer), West Germany and Austria kicked the ball around aimlessly for the entire second half to preserve both teams' chances for advancing out of their group.

No professional if going to extend a game any more than need be. They want to win and finish it. Every snap is a potential injury. That alone discounts the notion of an agreement, which takes a minimum of two parties by nature.

At least one of the talk shows that will launch in September 2022 will be designed with no studio audience. Also, studio audiences will never return to pre-2020 levels for shows that still have them.

The Grammys permanently move to March/April. The Oscars also make a permanent move to be a couple of weeks after the Grammy's new home.

Not directly TV-related, but with the Canadian teams in the NHL and NBA playing in empty stadiums or playing "home" games in the US, those leagues will give at least a couple extra home games in the 2022-23 season to each Canadian team (for example, in a normal season, each NBA and NHL team gets 41 home games; in 2022-23, I could see the Canadian-based teams getting 43-45 home games each)

Amy Schneider's run on Jeopardy continues until at least February.
In case you hadn't heard, her streak didn't quite make it to February. She was defeated on this past Wednesday's show by Chicago librarian Rhone Talsma after she blanked out on Final Jeopardy (and while Talsma got the correct answer and a high enough wager).

Since Jeopardy is taped at least a month or two in advance, I'm surprised the producers didn't try to delay airing the episode where Schneider's streak ended until during the February sweeps, perhaps tossing in another specialty week or tournament (e.g., Teen Tournament, Professors Tournament) to pass some time in order to hold that episode until the sweeps. Didn't something like that happen during Ken Jennings' original streak (other than it started at the end of the 03-04 season and continued until late in the November 2004 sweeps, with the streak "interrupted" by summer reruns, as well as tournaments), or even during James Holzhauer's run or other long winning streaks? To hold the inevitable "dethroning" episode until the sweeps?

Last edited:
In case you hadn't heard, her streak didn't quite make it to February. She was defeated on this past Wednesday's show by Chicago librarian Rhone Talsma after she blanked out on Final Jeopardy (and while Talsma got the correct answer and a high enough wager).

I watched that epsiode live, and I was overthinking the clue, as simple as it was. Like, C'mon Zman, just think of the top 10 most populated countries until you find one that ends in H! :ROFLMAO:

I watched that epsiode live, and I was overthinking the clue, as simple as it was. Like, C'mon Zman, just think of the top 10 most populated countries until you find one that ends in H! :ROFLMAO:
Unless she didn't realize that Bangladesh was among the top 10 populous countries. I saw the fateful clue after I got home from work and I quickly figured out the correct answer.

Since Jeopardy is taped at least a month or two in advance, I'm surprised the producers didn't try to delay airing the episode where Schneider's streak ended until during the February sweeps, perhaps tossing in another specialty week or tournament (e.g., Teen Tournament, Professors Tournament) to pass some time in order to hold that episode until the sweeps. Didn't something like that happen during Ken Jennings' original streak (other than it started at the end of the 03-04 season and continued until late in the November 2004 sweeps, with the streak "interrupted" by summer reruns, as well as tournaments), or even during James Holzhauer's run or other long winning streaks? To hold the inevitable "dethroning" episode until the sweeps?
You know you can't just whip up a special out of thin air, right? They already produced a professors tournament for the syndie version, and the college championship for ABC. The show in question was filmed shortly before Thanksgiving. There is no way to delay the show, nor do I suspect anyone there gave it a thought. It's the way the game works.

Tom Brady makes his recent retirement annoucement official (it had "leaked" over the weekend). One of the NFL-carrying networks (I guess most likely ESPN/ABC) picks him as a NFL studio host/commentator or as a PBP announcer. (If the ESPN scenario I'll guess they put Brady on MNF games that are also carried on ABC).

Brady joins Patroits Front Office. Theirs a shakeup af CBS Phil Simms joins his Brother at NBC. Meyer joins Buck in the both. ESPN brings back a former Anchor to do 11pm. MLB Network switches partnership to ESPN from Fox to share Insiders and Showcase Game gets shown also on ABC.

Retirement expert Chris Hogan, who was fired from Dave Ramsey's company last March, returns to radio with his own show competing against Dave Ramsey. TBN then picks up a TV version of Hogan's show.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom