• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

2022 Television Predictions

Local News will pre-empt national news coverage in the 2022 elections.

Expect tell all specials from the cabinet members of Governors running for re-election in some parts of the USA to appear on their local newscasts. in the same way there were tell all ads that came out for Trump in 2020.

The managements of Right Wing Youtube Pundit shows, Fox News, OAN and Newsmax will have to appear in congress over the insurrection hearing and the Dominion and Smartmatic conspiracy theories.

Youtube, Twitch, Vimeo, Dailymotion and Tik Tok will deal with "Allegations of Censorship" by certain pundits as some of these pundits move to Rumble and other alternatives that cater to the fans of Red State Governors like Desantis and Abbott in 2022.

Disney, Gray, Cumulus will win their lawsuit against former staff members over vaccine mandates and cite the state laws of their jurisdiction the removals took place.

Youtube and Twitch put more emphasis on retrans revenue and operate as Cable TV was at its peak.

Fox will air primetime shows produced from Marvista Studios.

Last edited:
My take for 2022 is that the subscription "plus" services (Paramount Plus, Disney Plus, CNN Plus, Peacock, ESPN Plus) will exponentially take away College Football from the cable networks, after proving that they could do it to Notre Dame 🤬. In addition, the regular shows might disappear at a lower rate, or be so loaded with ads that you'll want to switch to these new services just to find a sense of normal. Last year, a lot of movies did not even have theatrical releases. Whilst I think the physical releases will make some form of comeback, don't be surprised, if, for example, Sonic 2 will end up only being released on these new platforms, and maybe Hulu.

Next: Christmas Specials will be gone for good from Broadcast Television. :cry:Even PBS probably won't pick them up again (but we can try to sway them, so contact your local PBS NOW!) I was amongst millions who noticed that Hulu let me watch about 2 minutes of Santa Claus is Comin' on CBS before I got the "not available in your area" notice. I already pay $70 for Hulu+Live TV, so why are people getting punished all over again? Some good news: You can find the entire Charlie Brown Holiday collection at Walmart for like $25 bucks, and then all of the Burl Ives Animated movies for another $19, so that's what I did, ha! (Don't let the corps on to my savvy ways, or they'll probably ban Walmart from carrying it, 🤣 ).

Okay, I did not think I was going to be that negative right off the bat, so let's do some positives:
*Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune will get renewed,
*Hopefully Manning-cast will resume 🥳 for another year before they fully can it in favor of ABC.
*Radiopatrol, you already mentioned that Local News will start preempting more. GOOD! I love how they do it on the Today show, where Al Roker will do a quick national forecast, and then he'll say "Here's the weather in your area!", and it will switch to your local station's feed. And then at the top and bottom of each hour, there is a local newsbreak. Hopefully they will now do that for emergencies.
*EAS will be better and more accessible. After the goof that Fox pulled, the FCC got real serious about fixing how the EAS system is run, and has made it more visual. In fact, some local stations will run a nice radar graphic. Also, with some new commissioners, they might have different ideas as well.

And now for a positive and a negative all wrapped up in one:
*TNF on Amazon Prime. Yay it will feature Al Michaels and will be flashy and new, but BOO it's just taking another thing away from broadcast TV.

Here's a great analogy to summarize TV this year:
First, people were told to Check and replace the batteries in your smoke detector every six-months. (Agreed)
Now it's "Make sure to upgrade your subscription to a higher service every six months, and don't forget that Covid booster shot." (I flat out disagree that my Roku with Hulu and Redbox and Vudu (all things I already pay for) is not enough anymore. Welp, it's time to do some spring cleaning again with my TV shows and movies, and see which ones are actually worth the extra money.)

Well, the modern world is a scam for the average consumer, and I could go on and on, but I digress for sanity reasons.
To summarize though: There is good and bad in every year, but someone needs to check the monopoly status of streaming. Even Cable can't logically keep up anymore. Sure you have "several" streaming options, but if one service misbehaves, you can't really expect the others to do any better. But hey: At least the 2022 Winter Olympics is coming, and it won't be blocked off.

• The broadcast TV networks will start premiering new shows on their streaming platforms, then airing them a week later on broadcast, as streaming is how younger audiences are getting acquainted with new programs. The exception will be CBS, whose shows are aimed at an older audience.
  • Broadcast network TV will have more live reality competitions and sports than ever before.
  • The CW could change to a mostly "producer pays the network for airtime" model, a la the PAX/"i" model of the 2000's, if they haven't gotten that far with their non-scripted series already.

Well, the modern world is a scam for the average consumer, and I could go on and on, but I digress for sanity reasons.
To summarize though: There is good and bad in every year, but someone needs to check the monopoly status of streaming. Even Cable can't logically keep up anymore. Sure you have "several" streaming options, but if one service misbehaves, you can't really expect the others to do any better. But hey: At least the 2022 Winter Olympics is coming, and it won't be blocked off.
The WarnerMedia/Discovery merger will test how the FTC will regulate streaming services. I expect them to tell the merged company to offer a discounted "slim HBO only" service for those people who don't want to pay $20 a month for HBODiscovery+max.

Disney creates a 24/7 sports subchannel called "ESPN on ABC", with an initial rollout on the O&Os replacing Localish, then forcing any ABC affiliates with Sports Grid on a subchannel to dump that network for the new one, then forcing all ABC affiliates to either add a subchannel for the new network or dump a network for it. "ESPN on ABC" will have stuff that would've run on Wide World of Sports in its heyday along with pro but lesser known sports leagues they're currently contracted with, some occasional overflow of FBS football or Power 5 basketball, a daytime and nighttime SportsCenter, and a slew of 30 for 30's that get moved from ABC proper on the weekends to the new subchannel.

Disney creates a 24/7 sports subchannel called "ESPN on ABC", with an initial rollout on the O&Os replacing Localish, then forcing any ABC affiliates with Sports Grid on a subchannel to dump that network for the new one, then forcing all ABC affiliates to either add a subchannel for the new network or dump a network for it. "ESPN on ABC" will have stuff that would've run on Wide World of Sports in its heyday along with pro but lesser known sports leagues they're currently contracted with, some occasional overflow of FBS football or Power 5 basketball, a daytime and nighttime SportsCenter, and a slew of 30 for 30's that get moved from ABC proper on the weekends to the new subchannel.
Not gonna happen, because ESPN.

California in 2022 will be in the process to fight back and get more filming jobs in the state as part of a ploy to go after Vancouver, Toronto, New York, New Orleans and Atlanta. California will incentivise studios to go to other parts of the state for filming to avoid issues of costs and booking issues in the most notable areas like San Francisco, Los Angeles, Emeryville, Marin County and Oakland.

Mare Island (a district in Vallejo, CA) is used in TV shows that require the "San Francisco" or "Oakland" scenes in movies, TV will benefit from being defined as a film or TV show done outside of San Francisco, Oakland and Los Angeles.

Fully booked LA stages can also bolster the Bay Area as a filming and production hub as companies look for open studio space, says Walter. Some big titles have recently shot at the company's Film Mare Island and Film Treasure Island studios, including the 2018 sci-fi film Bumblebee and the Netflix series 13 Reasons Why. But while a handful of soundstages are scattered throughout the region, Walter says, it's not enough to handle most network TV shows or feature films.

"Historically, folks will use the locations in the Bay Area, but then they'll do the stage work in LA," he says. "It irks me because we should have that infrastructure here."

Not going to happen because Disney wants to protect ESPN+ as part of the Disney apps package with Hulu and Disney+.

THE miz and Alexis Ren replacing Tyra Banks next season on Dancing with the Stars Gary Danielson will announce his retirement ed orgeron on espn college gameday Paige Bueckers for the bachelorette the final season of American Idol on ABC

CBS will announce a replacement college football deal with another conference (or conferences) after they lose the SEC game of the week to ESPN. Probably the Big Ten, Pac Ten and/or ACC.

More markets have at least one station go experimental ATSC 3.0. With at least one of the Rockford, Peoria/Bloomington, and/or Springfield/Decatur/Champaign markets in Illinois joining the ATSC 3.0 list on one station.

I have a wish list of how I'd like ATSC 3.0 and the subsequent market realignment to go in the Peoria and Springfield markets that I suggest here later, but for Rockford it would be a no-brainer to switch Gray's WIFR-LD to ATSC 3.0. Since WIFR's CBS signal on 23.1 is now being repeated on WREX-13.2, while Gray punts CW over to Nexstar-owned WTVO or WQRF on one of their subchannels. And as part of the deal of relaying all the Rockford market signals on WIFR in 3.0 in my "pipe dream," Gray actually makes a deal to run the national PBS feed OTA in 3.0 (and thus petitions Comcast and other cable systems in the Rockford DMA to drop WTTW Chicago and/or WHA Madison on their systems in favor of the national PBS feed).

THE miz and Alexis Ren replacing Tyra Banks next season on Dancing with the Stars Gary Danielson will announce his retirement ed orgeron on espn college gameday Paige Bueckers for the bachelorette the final season of American Idol on ABC
C'mon DWTS, just bring Tom Bergeron/Erin Andrews back, and I'll watch again :)
Ed Orgeron on ESPN sounds awesome, and he had a great cameo on The Blind Side

One more thing: An "a la carte" version of ESPN will start popping up on ATSC 3.0 subchannels, like this:
.1 (Free)ABC (Free, because main .1)
.2 (Free?)FOX (Conditionally Free)
.3 ($10)ESPN (Locked)
.4 ($12)Disney/XD (Locked)
.5 ($8)Nat Geo (Not as locked?)
.6 ($8)Freeform (Possibly not locked at all?)
.7 (Free)BUZZR, or something.
There is a hitch, because in True ALC form, I would only pay $10 for ESPN and ESPN only. But I suspect Disney would try to "force" me to buy Disney and Nat Geo before I get to buy ESPN, and perhaps there would be a flat rate to unlock them all.

This may be another pipe dream, but I will predict Comcast/Xfinity will finally get serious about dropping duplicate SD feeds of stations already available in HD. Anything above the legacy (channels 2-99) and Digital Starter lineups will have their SD duplicates dropped in 2022, with plans announced to be all-HD and all-X1/streaming on all their systems by 2025.

I don't know if it'll happen in 2022, but I definitely agree that more and more programming that people really want to see will be moved to streaming and subscription services. Content can be expensive to produce, more and more people are cutting the cord which takes away money from cable and satellite providers, and as someone else mentioned with the Notre Dame football example, if people want to see certain games or programming, they'll need to pony up for it in the future. Networks might offer a basic standard of programming to cable/sat subscribers and OTA receivers, but much of the quality stuff people really want to see will move to streaming and paid subscriptions.

I can also see more TV stations, especially in areas with smaller populations, consolidating resources to save money. As a good example, relatively recently where some of my extended family lives, 3 stations within the same state but who's signals don't overlap had their local newscasts shortened with reduced staff (usually just 1 person presenting news, 1 person for weather and a third for sports scores and highlights - and the one presenting, the sports guy and maybe another staff who's a dedicated "reporter" also go into the field to report and shoot stories, usually using their own mobile devices rather than a dedicated cameraperson). Their earlier newscast is now a "regional" one, with anchors from a station in another market, a conglomeration of stories from those 3 stations that pooled their resources, along with state, national and world news.

Last edited:
Sprectrum will get rid of SD versions of HD channels,add Decades and so on National Feeds,Other local News Channels.
CCI will add channels to all its Lineups to have all the same.
ESPN will have Chris Berman call Super Bowl Games.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom