• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Yuma/El Centro to lose a TV station

KSWT (K-sweat?) in Yuma? Who wouldda thunk it? :)

But here's a question regarding the language issue. Is there a measurement of these Spanish-speaking populations which can differentiate between total-Spanish and English-Spanish speakers and would it be important to marketing in those areas?

In my dealings with Spanish speakers here in metro Phoenix I find that most can understand English but prefer to speak Spanish due to embarrassment (if not done correctly) or when speaking to other Spanish speakers or just because it is their first language and they are more comfortable. The younger the person the better they can flip between languages and tend to be fluent in both.

Afterthought: During my military time stationed in Japan I saw the same thing there with respect to the ages of the speakers.

In markets with a high density of Hispanics, Nielsen does an annually updated enumeration of language "preference" of Hispanics. The two options are "English Dominant" and "Spanish Dominant". Those who self-identify as "bilingual" are included as "English Dominant".

For the enumeration, Hispanics (Latinos, Boricuas, Mexicans, Latinx, etc.) are asked to self-classify as Spanish Only, Mostly Spanish, Bilingual, Mostly English and Only English.

The problem is that language usage is often situational. A person may have good enough English to employ it at work most or all of the time, but at home Spanish is spoken almost exclusively. Or a person may have been hired as a "bilingual" due to the employer's customer base, when that person seldom employs Spanish other than at work.

And then you have total bilinguals who have a great preference for entertainment in Spanish, particularly in the areas of music, comedy and news (usually because of the content of Spanish media "connecting" more with specific cultural identities). For example, many American comedy shows are not funny to bilinguals who have a strong home usage of Spanish as comedy is very culturally based... so there may be certain kinds of TV shows that over-perform or under-perform among Hispanics who are in the "bilingual" category. And in music, you find many, including large numbers of immigrants, who prefer English language CHR and Pop music even though they are Spanish dominant.

So, yes, there is data. But it is subject to a lot of interpretation and is obviously very "fuzzy" in nature. There are too many nuances to enumerate, and that makes the data only an approximate measure as it does not apply equally to each situation in entertainment choices.

Last edited:
The triopoly logo (Fox 9/NBC 11/CBS 13) is off their website but their news stream still has the NBC 11 bug. Obviously this will change in the next day or so.

KYMA is telling viewers to rescan their TVs before January 17th. Their logos have been updated on the website, with all call letters being removed, but apparently both Channels 11 (NBC) and 13 (CBS) will remain as virtual channels. 11 is "Where News Comes First," while 13 remains "13 On Your Side."

https://kyma.com/news/2020/01/09/res...d-programming/

Wikipedia shows 11 now silent and NBC now on the channel 13 subchannel tier. (Of course, we know how reliable Wikipedia is...) ;)

The TV listings page on their website is now showing KYMA/CBS on 11.1, Ion on 11.2, a different CBS on 13 and NBC on 13.4.

The FCC is showing the license of KSWT is being canceled.

The whole setup is legally KYMA, RF Channel 13. The license and CP for RF Channel 11 was turned in to the FCC, and the KSWT call letters were deleted. The PSIPs remain 11.1 for NBC and 13.1 for CBS, just like before.

Now, if someone ever decides to start up a station on RF 11, what PSIP would they use? Or would KYMA have to give up 11.1 and change it to 13.2?

TV Passport has 11.1 as KYMA-DT2. KYMA's site doesn't show NBC at all on their TV schedule page.

KYMA's website links to Titan TV for their listings; online listings, such as Titan TV and Zap2It, are notorious for being incorrect, or at best, slow at responding to change. The file I attached and summarized was the actual transport stream sent out by KYMA last Saturday morning while I was in Yuma.

What I find interesting, however, is that the website's news clips of KYMA news identify the NBC subchannel using channel 11 branding still, but below the branding, reads "KYMA 13.2 Yuma - El Centro". I wonder if they have changed their PSIP in the transport stream?

Technically, they shouldn't be using the "11.x" major channel once the channel 11 license is gone.

You can use another license's major channel number *if* you have control over that license as well. KSTC in Minneapolis (former UHF analog 45) can transmit as "5.5" or "5.45" because it's co-owned with KSTP (former VHF analog 5), which has control over major channel 5.x. In the same city, public TV stations KTCA (former VHF 2) and KTCI (former UHF 17) both use "2.x" as their major channel number, because the licensee controls major channel 2.x.

But here's the problem: Apollo/Cox doesn't have control of major channel number 11.x in Yuma, because there is no licensed station now on channel 11 in Yuma. There's a vacant allotment for 11, which in theory might be available at a future auction, should there ever be one for unused TV allocations. (There aren't many.)

When and if that auction ever happens, the new licensee of channel 11 would have control of major channel 11.x in Yuma, which is why KYMA technically shouldn't be using it. But since it's not conflicting with anything in the real world, and since Yuma isn't exactly on anyone's radar at the FCC, it will probably be allowed to stand.

(They're doing the same thing, I'm told, with WNYS in Syracuse, which also had to surrender its license to allow the Apollo/Cox deal to go through; I'm told WNYS' MyTV 43.1 programming is still on "43.1" over a subchannel of WSYT, the Fox station on 68.x. It legally ought to be 68.something now, but nobody's conflicting for now with the use of 43.x. If the old WNYS facility is ever made available at auction, it would be on RF 15, and a buyer could use virtual 15.x there without conflict.)

Sinclair did the same thing when they turned in the WCGV license; they're still using 24-x in Milwaukee. I agree that none of these stations have the rights to those channels, but short of there being a complaint, I'm not sure the FCC would do anything about it, and I'm not sure why someone would complain unless somehow a new station appeared on one of those channels such that the virtual channel was needed by another station.

- Trip

You can use another license's major channel number *if* you have control over that license as well. KSTC in Minneapolis (former UHF analog 45) can transmit as "5.5" or "5.45" because it's co-owned with KSTP (former VHF analog 5), which has control over major channel 5.x. In the same city, public TV stations KTCA (former VHF 2) and KTCI (former UHF 17) both use "2.x" as their major channel number, because the licensee controls major channel 2.x.

we actually have 3 such examples in Minneapolis.

Hubbard Broadcasting owns KSTP (ABC) and KSTC (IND). the PSIP is mixed
5-1 35 KSTP ABC
5-2 30 KSTC IND
5-3 30 KSTC MeTv
5-4 30 KSTC Antennatv
5-6 30 KSTC ThisTV
5-7 35 KSTP Heroes & Icons

Twin Cities PBS uses 2-1, 2-4 & 2-5 on RF34 (KTCA) and 2-2, 2-3, 2-6 on RF23 (KTCI). 2-3 is what was analog 17

FOX owns KMSP RF9 and WFTC RF29
9-1 29 WFTC FOX
9-2 29 WFTC FOX+ (formerly My29)
9-3 29 WFTC Movies!
9-4 9 KMSP Buzzr
9-5 9 KMSP LightTv
9-6 9 KMSP Decades
9-9 9 KMSP FOX

The reason its done this way is two fold.
1. to give UHF antenna only folks FOX in HD
2. to supplement the translators that FOX owns in the huge Mpls market. This gave areas with only one translator both FOX & My

Maybe KYMA can't use 11.x to transmit from for NBC--that's on RF 13.4-- but they can use 11 as virtual, which is what they're doing now. They could put it on channel 99 as virtual if the FCC allowed it.

Wikipedia has KYMA using NBC on 11.1 and KSWT's CBS on 13.1 with KSWT's Estrella on 13.3 and KYMA's ION on 13.4

Wikipedia has KYMA using NBC on 11.1 and KSWT's CBS on 13.1 with KSWT's Estrella on 13.3 and KYMA's ION on 13.4
which Dave mentioned in post 25
https://www.radiodiscussions.com/sh...a-TV-station&p=6298049&viewfull=1#post6298049

Wikipedia cites RabbitEars and I was the source for RabbitEars, so it all comes back to my aforementioned post, as the file I linked in the post was the same file I sent to RabbitEars.

The transport stream linked in post #25 was taken last Saturday, before the channel 11 license was surrendered, so it was still allowable for KYMA to use 11.1 for their NBC virtual channel. They may be have been planning all along to switch to virtual 13.2 once the channel 11 license was surrendered, which would explain why they left 13.2 open and why NBC news clips identify as virtual channel 13.2 now.

Looks like I may have to convince the wife to let me go to Yuma again. I was hoping that they would have surrendered the license by the time I was there.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom