• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

You're Never Too Old.....

WMID has a decent signal going North and South . Hell, it can be heard down in Chincoteague Virginia, over 100 miles away, on the beach . But I learned from a source that their music is computer generated . And it’s evident . Plus , seemingly , every song played is too fast, which is so annoying I gotta turn it off . It could be so much better.

Does this also mean that the newly added "Trimulcast" to include 93.1 WEZW is also airing sped up programming as well? I can see the use for that perhaps on WAYV which is a much easier sell with regards to inventory than the WMID/WCMC/WEZW. I cannot say I would expect stop sets to be maxed out with a much older leaning format necessitating the need for pitched music... or is this an *Equity Exclusive* offering/trademark?

Does this also mean that the newly added "Trimulcast" to include 93.1 WEZW is also airing sped up programming as well? I can see the use for that perhaps on WAYV which is a much easier sell with regards to inventory than the WMID/WCMC/WEZW. I cannot say I would expect stop sets to be maxed out with a much older leaning format necessitating the need for pitched music... or is this an *Equity Exclusive* offering/trademark?

I grew up in South Jersey and hung out in Atlantic City during the mid-to-late-nineties. I can't remember a time when WAYV didn't speed up their music. I guess it's not perceptible to most people? To my ears though, it's always been aggressively obvious. I'd try to listen but it sounded so bad to me that WAYV was never really an option for me to tune to and leave on. Consider also that some companies/producers pitch up a song for the radio version and that ends up being sped up even further by some stations that play it. I can still remember listening to particular songs and wondering how anyone at the station could think it was OK to play it like that! To each his/her own, I suppose!

WMID helped me get through my Bethany Beach vacations in recent years. It never sounded speeded up to me. WAYV isn't on my radar so I can't comment on its speed.

ixnay

Sped-Up Music

When I was a kid in the 1970s, I actually noticed that WOND sped up its music. I remember visiting the studio and seeing that the spindles that drove the (rim-drive) turntables had been taped up to make them thicker. 45s played at 47 rpm. The CE told me that it "made the music sound better." It wasn't until I was an adult that I realized the true purpose: it gave them perhaps an extra 60 seconds an hour to cram in four more :15 spots.

I don't think that WMID did that back then, nor do I recall hearing it on WAYV.

Bill

When I was a kid in the 1970s, I actually noticed that WOND sped up its music. I remember visiting the studio and seeing that the spindles that drove the (rim-drive) turntables had been taped up to make them thicker. 45s played at 47 rpm. The CE told me that it "made the music sound better." It wasn't until I was an adult that I realized the true purpose: it gave them perhaps an extra 60 seconds an hour to cram in four more :15 spots.

I don't think that WMID did that back then, nor do I recall hearing it on WAYV.

Bill

Actually, the reason for speeding up the music was to make it sound a tiny bit brighter, a very desirable thing with lo-fi AM stations. It was particularly effective when a competitor did not do the same: their music sounded "draggy".

The purpose was not to be able to run more spots.

Actually, the reason for speeding up the music was to make it sound a tiny bit brighter, a very desirable thing with lo-fi AM stations. It was particularly effective when a competitor did not do the same: their music sounded "draggy".

The purpose was not to be able to run more spots.

I feel like you'd have to really, really speed things up to squeeze in any appreciable increase of spots per hour!

I feel like you'd have to really, really speed things up to squeeze in any appreciable increase of spots per hour!

If a station wanted to increase its spot load, it would just add the spots. Shortening the songs serves a different purpose.

Some FM station also, in much later years, sped up the music and used pitch compensation. The idea was to be able to say they played more songs an hour than a direct competitor.

The problem with that is that it pretty much requires a person with "perfect pitch" to adjust the settings. Otherwise, many listeners not the music sounds "off key" or "dissonant".

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom