• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Your All-Time Favorite Orlando Station

I saw this post in the Tampa & Miami threads, & found this topic to be interesting in both markets, so I am starting a thread in this market.
What is/are your all-time favorite Orlando FM radio station(s)?

Thank god you started it. I have several.

For news and information...
  1. The public one: 90.7 WMFE (WFLF isn't that great and WDBO is not what it used to be anymore).
For music...
  1. 98.9 WMMO.
  2. WOMX Mix 105.1 (at times).
  3. WOCL Sunny 105.9
  4. WMGF Magic 107.7
  5. Orlando's Smooth Jazz... WLOQ on WMGF-HD2.
  6. A low-key outlet... 89.9 WUCF.

WORJ when it had a progressive rock format @1970-1981
WDIZ 1970s-1990s Orlando 100.3 AOR,
WHTQ 1980s-2000s Orlando 96.5 Q96 (AOR)

kw - Melbourne FL - about 50 miles SSE of Orlando from 1979 onwards

I lived in Orlando '92-'95...

The original day-one WMMO was a really interesting, different station..
WLOQ 103.1, a very good smooth jazz format (A format which has totally died out, but they brought acts like Robert Cray, the Rippingtons and Michael Franks to the Winter Park Arts Festival)
The original Real Radio 104.1 with Howard Stern, Ed Tyll and Jim Phillips..
WJRR, the first incarnation of Modern Rock in the market (eventually causing WDIZ to flip to Rumba)...

I was also gonna say... one of my favorites was also "The Cutting Edge of Rock" version of WJRR. That was the time BEFORE Paxson / Clear Channel bought WDIZ and pretty much kicked the JRR guys to the curb (who were actually beating DIZ in the ratings) and switched JRR to what DIZ sounded like. 100.3 became "She" followed buy "Cool" and "Big" before then switching to Rumba.

My others would be mid-90's 102 Jamz, the original Real Radio 104.1 with Real Music Weekends (alternative), and 95.3 Party.

My favorite was 95.3 Party, both as Pure Dance, & even after they added Hip Hop a few months before they totally flipped.
Next was 102 Jamz in the 90s, & back when DJ Caesar was mixing without airhorns.
XL106.7 back when they had the XL Throwdown mix show. It still sounds good today, but not the hype it used to be.
Hot 95.9 was really good for the 1st few years when they played both Christian Hip Hop & Pop Remixes. I discovered NF listening to this station, along with some other pop singers. I always liked that it was commercial free.
WLOQ when it was on 103.1, & even on 102.5, especially when it was pure Smooth Jazz.
Big 810 when they were True Oldies.
There was an LPFM on 100.7 on the east side of Orlando that played all Dance music at one point before they changed to a Latin format.
Sunny 105.9 the 1st few years when they still played 60s, was also good, with the really awesome "History Of Rock & Roll" stunt before the debut. That was one of the best stunts I've ever had the pleasure of listening to!
And last, but not least, my totally biased opinion, is WPRK 91.5FM. Been on that station since 2005. šŸ˜

BJ105 before they flipped to Mix.
Y106 before and even after flip to XL.
XL until they moved from Altamonte to Maitland.
The original 98.9 W..Mmm...Mmm...Ooo before Cox.
Q96 before Cox and even as WHTQ until good staff left.
B94.5 while it lasted under NewCity.
Real Radio while Press had it.
DIZ before the flip, though I also liked SHE. (Zippy and Just Plain Mark not to be confused with Samansky ..RIP)
WJRR before Dick Sheetz passed. (RIP)
And 102 Jamz before Bartel Bartel left (RIP) and Twice as Nice were still on. (Joe Nasty, Welch & Woody, Cedric Hollywood, Rich Stevens RIP, Bruce B. Box, Russ Allen, Duff Lindsay, Jam on it, 18 Jamz in a row, 102 Jamz?? you Jaaam right!)

The airchecks in my head right now are amazing.

Byron

DIZ before the flip, though I also liked SHE. (Zippy and Just Plain Mark not to be confused with Samansky ..RIP)
And 102 Jamz before Bartel Bartel left (RIP) and Twice as Nice were still on. (Joe Nasty, Welch & Woody, Cedric Hollywood, Rich Stevens RIP, Bruce B. Box, Russ Allen, Duff Lindsay, Jam on it, 18 Jamz in a row, 102 Jamz?? you Jaaam right!)

Byron

I would've loved listening to all of this.

Byron
You basically described almost everything before the Telcom act. I remember most of those stations that way. Radio was better then, wasn't it.

1270 WORL, when they played soul music, with live DJ's... probably 1979-81 or so. Fantastic sounding station.
And it went broke and went off the air. A year or two later, I did due diligence for a possible buyer and the transmitter site was an absolute disaster. Ground system was half uprooted by bushes and trees that were never prevented from growing, the towers were rusty, the transmitter had no working AC and the gear was in awful shape.

BJ105 WBJW - Loved The Breakfast Bunch
102 Jamz WJMH - Very slick sounding in it's early days when Duff was programming
95 WLOF - It smoked in it's day
1270 WORL - During it's R&B days back in the 1980s when it was "Power Hits ORL"
Young Country B94.5 WCFB - OK, maybe I hold a soft spot for this one since it was the first station where I worked in Central Florida over 30 years ago, but did we have fun!

Back
Top Bottom