• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

You WILL listen to our message

Scroll down to where it says "No. 3".

Maybe it wasn't a very good radio. The man was driving a '67 Impala.

WMIT is on FM, so if his radio was AM, it must have been WFGW, and WFGW was a talk station also part of Billy Graham's organization.

Even on modern DSP radios, an FM station can produce harmonics and wipe out the band that way. Wasn't this the same station that was grandfathered in because of it's high HAAT? I can't tell if this had to do with the station itself (if so, shameful), or if it's just because Gary was too close to the broadcast tower. Anytime I get near a broadcast tower in my area, I'll land some random harmonics. (i.e. Going to the KFCY tower produces a KOLT-FM harmonic on 90.7, despite the two towers being 10 miles away from one another).

If it was WMIT, the broadcast tower is some distance away. However, WFGW's towers and studios were visible from the road back then. WMIT shared the studios but it's tower has been on a peak near Mt. Mitchell (that's the reason for the letters) since the 1940s and it is the highest tower in the East.

I emailed the man who wrote the article telling him why the man might have been wrong about which station was causing the problems. Maybe we'll get an update next Friday.

Even on modern DSP radios, an FM station can produce harmonics and wipe out the band that way. Wasn't this the same station that was grandfathered in because of it's high HAAT? I can't tell if this had to do with the station itself (if so, shameful), or if it's just because Gary was too close to the broadcast tower. Anytime I get near a broadcast tower in my area, I'll land some random harmonics. (i.e. Going to the KFCY tower produces a KOLT-FM harmonic on 90.7, despite the two towers being 10 miles away from one another).
Those are likely harmonics generated in your receiver.

Wow, that article brought back memories! Especially having I-40 still under construction in the mid-1970s dumping traffic through Black Mountain on US70 towards Asheville. And yes, the radio station was WFGW 1010, a 50kw daytimer with a directional array as I recall that could be seen from the highway. I think they were sold a few years ago to another Christian broadcaster, but the facilities were moved across town, not sure what is there now where the radio station was (in Black Mountain). When the bridge for the highway project was nearing completion to bypass the town back in the mid 70's many truck and commercial drivers thought it would be bad in the winter due to icing, not sure if that has been as predicted.

The present-day 1010 is WKJW, sister to WKJV-1380. I couldn't tell you where the towers are located or if they are diplexed with 1380. The WFGW calls were appropriated by the Billy Graham organization for its relay northwest of Knoxville on 106.7

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom