• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

You Know Tampa Bay Radio Sucks When:

The only oldies station you can find that actually is a real oldies station is in Michigan...... :'(

That probably indicates some pretty tight playlists, however, take a song like In The Air Tonight by Phil Collins. The Point, Q105, True Oldies, The Eagle, The Bone (not sure after the shift to newer edgier rock), and The Dove all play, or have played, this song. There are certain groups and artists that are played in multiple formats. Eagles, Billy Joel, Elton, Collins, Aerosmith to name a few.

The only oldies station you can find that actually is a real oldies station is in Michigan

I mentioned in another post, WZPH-LP in Z-hills is a legit oldies station. No adverts to listen to is a plus!

druidhillsradio said:
The only oldies station you can find that actually is a real oldies station is in Michigan

I mentioned in another post, WZPH-LP in Z-hills is a legit oldies station. No adverts to listen to is a plus!

What Dr. Dr. Thayers hundred watter lacks in power, it also lacks in:

1) slanderous and defamatory political ads from "candidates" I wouldnt trust to tell me where the cereal aisle is at Wal Mart, much less represent me in public office. Worse than ever this year
2) ambulance chasing personal injury attorneys who feel you MUST sue someone, even if no one is at fault
3) con men playing off as debt consolodation firms. There is no such legal business as "debt consolidation"
4) erectile dysfunction ads
5) snake oil like "nutricuticles" and "acai disguised as "medicine"

Rock on, Doc!

"

Studio20 said:
druidhillsradio said:

What Dr. Dr. Thayers hundred watter lacks in power, it also lacks in:

1) slanderous and defamatory political ads from "candidates" I wouldnt trust to tell me where the cereal aisle is at Wal Mart, much less represent me in public office. Worse than ever this year
2) ambulance chasing personal injury attorneys who feel you MUST sue someone, even if no one is at fault
3) con men playing off as debt consolodation firms. There is no such legal business as "debt consolidation"
4) erectile dysfunction ads
5) snake oil like "nutricuticles" and "acai disguised as "medicine"

Rock on, Doc!

"

The Doc is living a fantasy that surely many of us have. However, having said that, you could simply load up your ipod or car cd changer with your favorites and let them run free of commericals. In the real world, commercial radio station owners are running a business and the only way to pay your employees and have funds to purchase supplies needed for that business is to create revenue. The only way to create revenue is to sell your time. Granted, the content of the time purchased, at times, is annoying, however, if those annoying spots were not producing results for the people who buy them, those people would take their money elsewhere.

Duly noted, Frank. Ca$h is the lifeline of radio....But how low do you go? Good Lord, man, some of these political spots contain misleading, and outright untruths of people. They are borderline humiliating.Fairness aside, doesn't radio have any responsibility in this matter? This isn't a shock jock insulting someone. These are our future leaders defaming each other and their philosophies.

And the lawyer ads? Oh yes, they work...and result in clogging up our court system with frivoulous lawsuits, that result in ridiculous judgements or worse yet, people losing their small businesses or good people opting not to open businesses for fear of litigation.

1-800-answer-me-this: How many uninsured drivers to these lawyers go to bat for because their client was in an auto accident, driving illegally?

How many folks have seen what little money they've had swallowed up by debt consolidation firms that cannot actually help their clients, forcing them into bankruptcy..then they move on to the lawyers, of course.

These ads don't promote services as much as they contribute to the eradication of common sense for people seeking the big payoff that most truly don't deserve.

Any supplement that has to carry the phrase "These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA"..." were actually any good, the pharmaceutical companies would have swallowed them up years ago.

We've sunk a long way from infomercials for used cars and financial analysts.

Spot on, Studio. Agree. Sadly, if there weren't buyers for the 1-800-SUE EM', or, if you have at least $10,000 in credit card debt, and all the others of this ilk, these ads wouldn't be on the air. It goes even deeper than broadcasters airing these ads. These advertisers prey on those who do not subscribe to "buyer beware" and possibly are looking for a big pay day. Are these any worse than the newspaper ad for a car dealer that has a brand new car at a unbelievable price and in the print that my bifocals can't even see says "after $3,000 down, plus tax, tag, dealer charge of $899, includes all rebates, and with approved credit score of 800 or more....etc" Most of those ads will have a model number and guess what? When you get to the dealer.....that model has been sold. But I digress. This is a radio board. Having run a station for a good number of years and being faced with making payroll and keeping the owners happy there is a fine line to walk.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom