• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Y'know those WCBS logs showed me something

I learned something from those WCBS logs from the 70's and 80's. those logs totally changed my impression on the way an Oldies station used to work. Why did they scrap doing things the way they were doing Mixing the Oldies with currents or near-currents that sound like the music they play. Imagine if the Oldies stations were playing the Brian Setzer Orchestra and Lou Bega in the late 90's. that exactly what WCBS was doing playing the Manhattan Transfer in the 80's. Looks like the Oldies format killed itself by just playing the Gold. Or was it just WCBS that mixed the Gold with Currents? <P ID="signature">______________
In Harmony
From the Bop Shop,
Brian "BD Bopper"</P>

Lots of oldies stations carried a short current list, though I'm not sure what the point was. If you were going to do that today, what could you find on the charts that would fit in at all with oldies? Pear jam doing "Last Kiss" a few years ago?

> I learned something from those WCBS logs from the 70's and
> 80's. those logs totally changed my impression on the way
> an Oldies station used to work. Why did they scrap doing
> things the way they were doing Mixing the Oldies with
> currents or near-currents that sound like the music they
> play. Imagine if the Oldies stations were playing the Brian
> Setzer Orchestra and Lou Bega in the late 90's. that
> exactly what WCBS was doing playing the Manhattan Transfer
> in the 80's. Looks like the Oldies format killed itself by
> just playing the Gold. Or was it just WCBS that mixed the
> Gold with Currents?
>
<P ID="signature">______________
"There ain't no reason to fight over a woman. There's two more down the street!".."Senisble Don", 700 WLW</P>

Not really anything now current but do you think if the stations kept the currents through time that there would be a younger audience listening along with the target demo? <P ID="signature">______________
In Harmony
From the Bop Shop,
Brian "BD Bopper"</P>

Doubt it because everybody knows there are other places to go if you want current music. Especially in the environment we have now.

Not really anything now current but do you think if the
> stations kept the currents through time that there would be
> a younger audience listening along with the target demo?
>
<P ID="signature">______________
"There ain't no reason to fight over a woman. There's two more down the street!".."Senisble Don", 700 WLW</P>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom