• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

yes.com and tunein.com Isn't Logging OKC Radio Stations

I just find out yes.com and tunein.com isn't logging OKC radio stations including KMGL, KYIS, and KOMA since Monday, December 19 around 10:30 something AM. What happened? Is it just technical failure or is it have something to do with license because I wish OKC stations will be back on yes.com and tunein.com.

All of the stations here in Greenville, SC, except for WTPT, disappeared around the same time. TuneIn gets its information from yes.com. Yeah, the site was buggy, but at least it had a detailed playlist, something no other site (except for TuneGenie) does.

I hope they come back, I don't know what's going on, other markets are still on there.

I noticed the same problem yesterday with WSPA/Greenville when I was trying to find out if they have flipped back from the Christmas format yet after 12AM EST via yes.com and tunein.com.

I have Mediabase for WSPA and they also have TuneGenie. It's odd that only OKC, Greenville, and Louisville disappeared from Yes.com. I wonder if it's a glitch on yes.com's side (as they disappeared when the site was down for a few days), a local level on those markets, or what. I don't know how the site even works, or how they all disappeared at once. I e-mailed them and was told my comment would be forwarded on, you might want to e-mail them as well.

I wished Renda's KMGL and KOMA in OKC have TuneGenie like Cumulus' KYIS in OKC. It's funny how other Renda stations in other markets uses TuneGenie, but Renda stations in OKC doesn't use TuneGenie.

Mediabase used to be a great site for song logs back then, but now it's very buggy. They used to have a 7 day log, now they only have a 2 day log and now it's difficult to switch back from Yesterday view to Today view. It used to work 24/7, now it stops working between 12-4AM and that you have to wait till 4 AM to view the log of songs from 12-4AM. TuneGenie is the only efficient site for song logs out there now.

I emailed the GM of Renda OKC and PD of KMGL last summer about subscribing all Renda OKC stations including KMGL, KOMA, and KRXO to TuneGenie since Renda stations in other markets uses it. The PD of KMGL replied "Thanks", but never subscribe KMGL to TuneGenie. I will be looking forward to email the GM of Renda OKC or PD of all Renda stations in OKC again about subscribing their stations to TuneGenie since yes.com & tunein.com went down in OKC and that KMGL only has Mediabase while KOMA and KRXO totally lacked an available site for song logs.

You might want to try to contact yes.com - their e-mail is somewhere on there, and they do check it. It might be an equipment failure or something they have to fix, so the stations that disappeared (like in OKC and Greenville) this month might come back. Those aren't tiny markets, I doubt they'll stay off of Yes forever.

It seems like since Yes went down a couple of weeks ago, it's not as buggy anymore.

Yeesh, we're back and worse than ever! How embarrassing! If I was in charge, heads would be rollin'! Some songs are in all-caps, while others the artists are in all-caps. Instead of "&" or "and", it list "n" in group or duo names. And how 'bout WIND N FIRE EARTH? I just love that group! Plus nonsense like "JOHN C MELLENCAMP"; just spell Cougar out or leave it off completely, it doesn't matter how he was billed on the label at the time anymore. Dumb and dumber; I quit looking before something else ridiculous came up. The EWF one reminds me when I heard a jock outro a song by "Joe Hamilton and Frank Reynolds".

Yeah, yes.com and tunein.com stops logging OKC radio stations since Dec 19. In the morning on Mar 1, after leap day, yes.com and tunein.com stops logging all the radio stations across the nation. In the evening, yes.com and tunein.com start logging radio stations across the nation once again including OKC and other cities this time that they haven't been logging for a while or a long time, but now it's really buggy.

Plus, it looks like they're logging radio stations through their online streaming rather than their terrestrial feeds. So, it looks like the stations that aren't streaming online doesn't get logged on yes.com nor tunein.com. Imagine if Renda haven't start streaming KMGL, KOMA, and KRXO online again then there would be no yes.com or tunein.com song log for KMGL, KOMA, and KRXO which is gonna really be terrible for KOMA and KRXO since neither of them have any type of song logs for their listeners to look up the song info of the songs they just heard on KOMA or KRXO.

Last year, I emailed the PD of KMGL, Steve O'Brien, suggesting a TuneGenie playlist for KMGL because TuneGenie is really good and he thanked me for the suggestion, although I don't see him making KMGL available for TuneGenie (I don't know if that will cost them anything). They're probably good with the Mediabase playlist which wasn't that good at all, but it's OK.

Around January, after yes.com and tunein.com stops logging OKC radio stations for a while, I emailed the PD's of KMGL, Steve O'Brien, and KOMA, Kent Jones about the issue of yes.com and tunein.com not logging OKC radio stations anymore and suggesting them to make their stations available to TuneGenie. Steve received my email and it looks like KMGL is good with Mediabase, so it doesn't look like Steve O'Brien would bother trying to make KMGL available to TuneGenie. Although, KOMA doesn't have any type of online song log for their listeners to look up the song info of the songs they heard on KOMA besides their online streaming player (imagine if they aren't streaming online by now, then their listeners definitely wouldn't have a place to look up the song info anywhere that they heard on KOMA). Kent received my email about this issue and was aware of that KOMA's listeners doesn't have a place to look up the song info of the songs they heard on KOMA. Kent thanked me for mentioning about this issue with him and he told me he will talk to his webmaster about this issue. It looks like ever since I emailed him about this issue, he haven't tried to make KOMA available to TuneGenie or any other type of sites that would log songs played on KOMA (I don't know if TuneGenie will cost them anything).

I don't think I've caught on to the appeal of looking over radio station logs on Yes.com, Tunein.com, and TuneGenie; for those interested in this topic, what is the attraction for you? What is interesting enough about it to drive you to contact radio stations not being logged by these services?

I just have this feeling I'm missing something... and I'd like to understand the fascination better.

Thanks in advance for your replies!!!

The radio stations have nothing to do with the Yes and TuneIn logging their radio stations. Yes and TuneIn log radio stations terrestrially over-the-air automatically in some cities (including OKC previously).

Let me explain this correctly. Yes and TuneIn are like universal, they log radio stations (over-the-air previously) over their online streams now. TuneGenie and Mediabase aren't similar to each other and have nothing to do with each other nor they have anything to do with Yes or TuneIn. TuneGenie and Mediabase are services where they're available for radio stations to subscribe to them if they want to.

Since Yes and TuneIn stops logging radio stations in OKC at that time, KOMA doesn't have a place for listeners to look up a song they heard over-the-air the first place. How do KOMA listeners figure out the songs they heard on KOMA over-the-air if they couldn't find a place to look up the songs on KOMA? Google the lyrics? That's inconvenient though. Yes and TuneIn just happens to exist and log KOMA fortunately. Otherwise, KOMA listeners would remained lost trying to figure out songs they heard over-the-air.

So what I'm saying is that KOMA doesn't have a site for their listeners to look up a song they heard on KOMA over-the-air and that's the reason why I emailed the PD of KOMA about this issue.

To answer NightAire's question, I just want to see what stations are doing, without the drudgery of having to listen to them! I can go the rest of my life without hearing "Invisible Touch" again, to give a KMGL example. It's fun to see when something outside their 120 song gold library gets played; or in say The Brew's case, what out of left field songs they might be letting in occasionally. But I certainly couldn't listen for any extended period of time to any of them; the libraries are so scorched no amount of Brillo will get them listenable again. If anything, I listen to KXY and The Brew, and occasionally give 96.9 a chance (hell, I can't even remember what it's called anymore!); but only in the car, and only when whatever CD (or old tape) I'm listening to runs out early. I may try some of these side-band HD stations when I buy a new car next year; but right now I'm stuck with the IBOC ones. Since from what I understand we can stream in our cars now, most-likely I'd also tune in to Gen X in Tulsa, though I can see myself getting sick of that too pretty quickly. There's a pretty cool station in Guam I discovered a couple months back; there's another option.

OKCRadioGuy said:
The RDS has been spitting it out for OTA listeners BTW for years. Complete title and artist, plus the song year.
Yeah, all three Renda stations including KMGL, KOMA, and KRXO broadcast RDS which is a good thing. Although few people have an HD Radio or a radio with built-in RDS, not everyone has an HD Radio or a radio with built-in RDS.

Besides, HD Radio text data is better than RDS data, IMO. All three Renda stations including KMGL, KOMA, and KRXO were broadcasting HD for a short time (probably around 2006-08 era) and unfortunately they aren't broadcasting in HD anymore due to interferences with their main analog signals in some areas. :(

Text data on HD was much easier to read as they're combined into lines of text to glance at for a second or two to catch the song info while text data on RDS are limited to a number of characters per period of the text displayed which takes a whole 7-15 seconds glance to completely catch the song info.

It costs radio stations a lot of money and licensing fees and causes radio stations a lot of hassles (through technical problems) to put their stations on HD without interfering their main analog signals. It also costs radio stations a lot of money or RIA fees to stream their stations online. But, I don't think it costs radio stations a lot of money to subscribe their stations to services like TuneGenie to log the songs played on their stations up to 7 days (up to 28 days with TuneGenie).

Very interesting; thanks for answering my question! I certainly understand the feeling of wanting to poke your ears out if you hear a lot of these songs one more time. ;D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom