• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Yes! Absolute Radio on 1215

I've been monitoring 1215 for the past few nights (while working here in my studio), as I've been getting pretty consistent het off of it. I've just got audio and it's the same music as the being streamed on Absolute's player...but not only that, I'm just now hearing other music and talking as well...someone else is also trying to come through.

Jump on it folks and see what you get! Talking Heads right now on Absolute, coming in nicely!

~BG

Tincap said:
I've been monitoring 1215 for the past few nights

I have too, but just haven't been able to get audio despite a strong carrier at times. Nice going! 1134 Croatia was strong again last night too with good audio so conditions must have picked up again.

kilokat7 said:
Tincap said:
I've been monitoring 1215 for the past few nights

I have too, but just haven't been able to get audio despite a strong carrier at times. Nice going! 1134 Croatia was strong again last night too with good audio so conditions must have picked up again.

Still can't hear 1215, but I'm getting the het.

Yup, pretty neat, as this would the first station I've picked up on both sides of the Atlantic...of course back in the '90's, when I picked it up while in the Netherlands, it was Virgin.

As to which transmitter I picked up, that would be a good question. According to the fmscan.org maps, Moorside Edge, in central England is the most powerful with 200kW, however, Washford with 100kW, is right on the west coast. I don't have the high techy stuff, which some of you folks have, so I'm not certain which transmitter I picked up. :O

I'll try and see if I can snag Radio Rossii or România Actualităţi off of the same frequency. One of those two may have been breaking into Absolute's signal last night.

Happy hunting folks!

~BG

I'm picking Absolute up again tonight, if anyone else would like to try and snag it. It's coming in earlier than my first catch...would local sunrise in the UK improve the signal it throws our way?

~BG

Tincap said:
I'm picking Absolute up again tonight, if anyone else would like to try and snag it. It's coming in earlier than my first catch...would local sunrise in the UK improve the signal it throws our way?

~BG

I still have yet to get it here in Northern Il.

I have read somewhere that many of the same frequency UK transmitters, 693, 810, 909, 1053, 1197, 1215 are synchronized. Some DX reporters in other countries often report reception of stations as 'synchros' because they cannot definitively identify which site they are hearing, in fact, they may be hearing two or more sites at the same time.

As to whether some of these sites are directional, or have more efficient towers, which might make TA reception more likely from a site, I haven't been able to find out.
A good assumption is that transmitter sites located near oceans, or signals that have to cross a minimal amount of land before the signal crosses the Atlantic/North Sea are good candidates for TA reception. That would help explain why WCBS would be a good catch in the UK. Or possibly WFAN, which is diplexed from the same tower as WCBS.

This is about the Moorside Edge transmitter site: http://www.aerialsandtv.com/moorsideedgetx.html
Here is some insight on UK MW from fybush.com http://www.fybush.com/site-020703.html

stormy01 said:
I have read somewhere that many of the same frequency UK transmitters, 693, 810, 909, 1053, 1197, 1215 are synchronized. Some DX reporters in other countries often report reception of stations as 'synchros' because they cannot definitively identify which site they are hearing, in fact, they may be hearing two or more sites at the same time.

As to whether some of these sites are directional, or have more efficient towers, which might make TA reception more likely from a site, I haven't been able to find out.
A good assumption is that transmitter sites located near oceans, or signals that have to cross a minimal amount of land before the signal crosses the Atlantic/North Sea are good candidates for TA reception. That would help explain why WCBS would be a good catch in the UK. Or possibly WFAN, which is diplexed from the same tower as WCBS.

This is about the Moorside Edge transmitter site: http://www.aerialsandtv.com/moorsideedgetx.html
Here is some insight on UK MW from fybush.com http://www.fybush.com/site-020703.html

WCBS was a definite catch for me in London in Sept 1977 just before London sunrise.

Tincap said:

~BG

Sunrise in the UK is around 0100 UTC http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=136 The UK is 6 hours ahead of us. So that makes sense that one of the posters says that reception of Absolute Radio was best around 2345 UTC, about an hour before sunrise there.

I have read somewhere online or a magazine that there is a propagation effect that occurs in the vicinity of the DX target. Now how MW/AM reception relates to grey line propagation I'm not completely sure, since I have understood grey line DX to be more of a SW phenomenon. Here is one article that may offer some insight: www.nrcdxas.org/articles/sunriseset.html and there are other online articles using the terms "local sunrise MW reception" or "local sunrise AM reception" or "grey line DX" in your search engine of choice.

I was at the NC beaches this week, while staying at the coastal town of Nags Head I heard both the het and the station on 1215 last Tuesday. OK reception of the station. (The weather was sunny and warm)

ddsparxx said:
I was at the NC beaches this week, while staying at the coastal town of Nags Head I heard both the het and the station on 1215 last Tuesday. OK reception of the station. (The weather was sunny and warm)

Sunny and warm? You got it during the day???

(Het is there tonight, with snippets of audio coming through weakly, at the moment)

~BG

Oops. I should have made this clear. I heard the 1215 around 8:30 pm EST. I was talking about the daytime weather. Sorry.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom