• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

XEAU, XEGM, Etc.

Ran across a thread from 2006. I certainly recall XEAU on 1470 in 1961, and I really enjoyed it. I just heard their CRC jingles, which rekindled those memories. I don't recall much about them and certainly don't recall them playing country.
XEGM-950 played soul in the evenings from 1965-1968, possibly 1969. Chuck Johnson was the main DJ and time buyer, but there were other jocks.
I think Shotgun Tom Kelly may have done weekends under another name, which I won't mention because it may be his real name.
Chuck Johnson bought time on several Tijuana stations over the years, including 1270, 1550, and, in 1974, 1470.
He said on the air that 1470 would be a fulltime soul station with the call XEBBC. The call changed, but ultimately they went back to all Spanish and later became XERCN.
Johnson also did some broadcasting in 1970 o
n KLRO-95.7, and later worked in the SF Bay Area.
I sure wish I could go back in a time machine and bring back some airchecks of XEAU and many other stations I recall.
It's a shame that I don't recall much about the sound of XEAK, although I listened to them a lot.
It's possible that they didn't use much personality, thus didn't impress me as much as many other stations.
I didn't live in San Diego, thus seldom heard KDEO, but they were co-owned by Tullis and Hearne, who had similar-sounding stations KAFY in Bakersfield and KFXM San Bernardino. Those stations sounded great, and so did KDEO on the rare occasions when I heard them.
San Diego had some great radio, including suburban stations KUDE and KOWN.

Bobby was Billie Joe's brother......

Back
Top Bottom