• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WZEW adds an HD subchannel

I'm not sure if the WOW 90.9 Agape Group would have to be in the commercial band because they are a nonprofit. Then again they might need to be if they are leasing in HD2 or HD3 of a commercial station

Last edited:
I heard both 92.5 and 96.5 on when I drove on the causeway. Neither were very clear so I thought for a while I could be getting Panama City on 92.5 but it was definitely Mobile. They were a lot weaker than I thought they were going to be

The music has changed from TV theme songs to what sounds like a carbon copy of ZEW's regular format but with an Alabama Shakes song every other time.

Curious.

I noticed that too driving through Mobile yesterday. I heard maybe 5-6 different artists on HD3. I also noticed the audio quality on the Crab has improved, along with complete PAD data (including artist graphics) on all HD channels.

I noticed that too driving through Mobile yesterday. I heard maybe 5-6 different artists on HD3. I also noticed the audio quality on the Crab has improved, along with complete PAD data (including artist graphics) on all HD channels.

Oh, that's good to hear. I don't have a radio with the Artist Experience doohickey, but I know at least one person in the area that is kind enough to send me pics occasionally for my site. :)

The HD3 is in stereo now, too. They must have done some bit-reallocating, because all three channels sound OK, especially compared to before.

It was mentioned earlier that WOW 90.9 has been trying to get into the Mobile market, and I'm really wondering if that is what this is being prepped for. Before the Crab debuted, someone uncovered the livestream ahead of time, but this time, there's no stream on the server that matches what's being heard on the HD3. So either they've wised up, or something else is going to be plugged in here.

What is the official format for HD3?

As far as I can tell, it's the same music they play on ZEW itself, but with a lot of Alabama Shakes. A clue might reside in the PAD text on the HD channel, though. Between songs it briefly said "Another sound of Mobile station coming soon" or something like that.

Also, I noticed that The CRAB is now identifying as "96.5 The CRAB", which I was able to verify on 96.5 itself since tropo seems to be acting up a bit this morning. (I also heard Jackson, MS; Albany, GA; and Montgomery just out of the blue.)

So it looks like the HD3 will wind up on 92.5.

CRAB was running artist data and graphics on the first day. Am I missing something? Was that not the same thing as "Artist Experience?" I know it was there because it was especially useful with the deep tracks CRAB plays.

CRAB on 96.5 because it's adjacent to The Rocket? Will 92.5 be something more complementary to Zew or look to steal listeners from BLX? Alternative on translators is popular now-a-days... so is Classic Hip Hop.

I think they just moved CRAB to 96.5 because it's going to get out better than 92.5. 92.5 gets hammered by WHEP's translator once you drift away from the Eastern Shore in my experience, while 96.5 seems to be — at least so far — easily the strongest of the Mobile translators here in Baldwin County.

Of course come summer, I imagine 96.5 is in for hard times because of Z 96 in FWB, but the last few nights I've checked Zew's translator has dominated 96.5 here in Foley.

just spent the last week in Gulf Shores. Enjoyed listening to the 92.1 HD3 loop and, of course, from time to time, the crab. Excited to see what might come to HD3 although I'm only down there vacationing every few months :)

The way things have gone, it'll probably still be doing the loop of TV themes next time you come visit. It's been on for a few months now, it seems like. In Mobile, The Crab debuted on 92.5 and moved to 96.5, so 92.5 has been carrying the TV themes with messages about where to find The Crab on FM and HD. I guess they want to make darn sure everyone knows it moved.

96.5 seems to be a better frequency for that format, it gets out better into Baldwin County than 92.5 did.

With Good times and Sanford & Son being looped (and now the theme from Soul Train). Could classic R&B (60's 70's 80's) be in the future. I think it would do well in the market.

Should do well. Audio Quality has improved (still a few dropouts). Would pull some of the obscure cuts that I heard.

And I'd add more deep cuts. That is what makes The Crab so special. It isn't mainstream classic rock, it's kind of "out there". No reason the soul channel should be any different. If anything, they need to get rid of the "blue eyed soul" cuts and classic rock songs that keep disrupting the flow.

Of course, my idea of a good soul station would something like WATV in Birmingham circa 1995 or thereabouts, lots of stuff us white boys didn't hear growing up.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom