• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WYEP-FM's class B application

WYEP-FM has an application to go class B and increase power to 30 kW using a directional array. Will they get it?
Considering that the technical representative is Scott Fybush, I'd give it almost total probability of approval.

Considering that the technical representative is Scott Fybush, I'd give it almost total probability of approval.
Thanks for the vote of confidence!

There was a reason this application was filed when it was - and that's as much as I can say about it publicly for now.

Looks like Pittsburgh Community Broadcasting Corporation consolidating WESA and WYEP-FM to the same tower would be most cost-effective long-term.

The only gain is some space to the northeast. That gain may only be on paper. The rest is a wash. Maybe a little more RF in general in the main areas. Might just bring more multipath. Maybe its a "Charlie Weaver for the block" app for WAPS. The antenna to do it on that tower is very complicated and very expensive.

Could it be that they might be taking out some insurance to quash a possible future encroachment via the recent non-comm filing window?

Although now that I look at the map, I didn't realize how close Akron is to Pittsburgh. I'll go with gimmus' theory.

Last edited:
I see it has been 10 months now since they filed the application and it is still pending. How long do these usually take?

Like gimmus said, it looks like an expensive custom antenna for just a gain to the northwest (on paper, at least). It would probably help coverage towards the airport. Right their HD signal starts to come and go for me as I round the hills on the Parkway West near the airport.

They're moving from a Crown Tower in Hazelwood to an American Tower on Mt. Washington. I would assume the Mt. Washington location would have higher rent, being closer to the city center.

I wouldn't be surprised if they get the construction permit and never build it out. Seems to happen a lot in the radio and TV broadcast world. Maybe that's a strategy to block other stations in the next filing window?

Also, does anyone have an idea what a custom FM broadcast antenna like that costs, and what it costs to install?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom