• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WXWS LPFM, Bone Gap Illinois

Perusing various lists of Low Power FM radio stations, I see WXWS assigned to Bone Gap. Bone Gap is a tiny place near West Salem (which should be able to receive the LPFM). I'm curious if anyone knows about the station or has heard it.

I haven't found any presence online and simply curious what it is doing.

Thanks

It appears this station is running a bizarre combination of hardcore Libertarian politics and evangelical Christianity.

I listened for about 30 minutes this weekend as I drove through Mt. Carmel, Illinois, to hear a show titled "Common Lawyer with Brent Allan Winters". In this show, he had a lengthy discussion about how the silt from the pristine Colorado River would some day destroy the Hoover Dam, and how the Wabash River (which divides Illinois from Indiana) is more in line with God's law, because the Government had not seen fit to install dams up and down its length.

A few minutes later, Mr. Winters expressed his exasperation with the "false faiths" (his words) of Catholicism (which he referred to as "Romanism"), Islam, Judiaism, and Shintoism, because all "false faiths" lead to war and men trampling the rights of citizens. He also made some remark about how Henry VIII of England was able to justify leaving leave the "Roman" church because there was rampant gay sex in English monasteries in the 1th century.

When I got home, I sat down with Google and got some clarification on who this guy is, and possibly about the mission of the Independent Church of Bone Gap.

Brent Allan Winters's program airs on the "Liberty Works Radio Network". That network was founded by an Indianapolis based pastor, who was working to support the Ron Paul for President campaign in 2008. The pastor in question was the pastor of a church raided by U.S. Marshalls in 2000, after refusing to register as a non-profit with the IRS, nor paying taxes since 1983. The Southern Poverty Law Center has the only description of its founder I can find that he did not write himself: https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-...doff-‘unregistered’-church-movement-continues

According to his web site, one of Mr. Winters legal specialties is helping unincorporated/unregistered churches, so it seems unlikely he is just a guy hosting a show on a radio network, but is likely an integral part of the "unregistered churches" movement. He was suspended from the Bar in Illinois from 2012-14 after being convicted of tax fraud and campaign finance violations.

According to its website, Liberty Works Radio Network distributes the Alex Jones show in its entirety twice each weekday, along with a number of lesser known hosts. There is a stream for the network here: http://radio.securenetsystems.net/v5/LWRN

One of Mr. Winters legal specialties is helping unincorporated/unregistered churches, so it seems unlikely he is just a guy hosting a show on a radio network, but is likely an integral part of the "unregistered churches" movement. He was suspended from the Bar in Illinois from 2012-14 after being convicted of tax fraud and campaign finance violations.

I do not know if WXWS is airing this network around the clock, or only on weekends. It also does not appear that the Independent Church of Bone Gap is a real house of worship, in the traditional brick and mortar sense, as the only addresses associated with it appear to be residences in Bone Gap. I could not find any record of the Independent Church of Bone Gap as a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit, either. But those records can be tricky to track down even for large non-profits that do not make it their mission to protest the existence of the IRS.

So, in summary, b-turner you have stumbled upon an interesting LPFM indeed.

Thank you for the info.

I was sort of baffled by the small population of Bone Gap and the lack of businesses to get Underwriting dollars. The LPFM is listed as owned by a church but I suspected it might be like some situations where there is no actual church or maybe some radio guy wanting to do radio under the umbrella of a church, at least at the start.

These guys sound very different from what I figured. Considering the station is supposed to reach West Sale and Bone Gap, and the newspaper in West Salem closed up, I thought maybe somebody wanted to do oldies and community announcements, seeking Underwriting from West Salem businesses.

Thank you for the info.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom