• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WXEL-HD2

It has been announced that WXEL(FM) will be off the air much of Wednesday (5/26/2010) evening in order to add an HD-2 channel.
What will they do with it: FAU, CSF, ERN?
Caroline Breder-Watts has yet to return my email or phone call.
Thoughts?

If Minnesota has already taken over operations at WXEL, the likeliest possibilities are "The Current," MPR's AAA format based at KCMP 89.3 in the Twin Cities. MPR runs Current on the HD2 at KPCC, the Los Angeles-market station it owns. It also has a Spanish-language public radio format on the HD3 in LA, if memory serves. That might be a possibility for WXEL as well.

Found these article from May 2006 saying that FAU & WXEL made a deal to broadcast on WXEL HD2 - wonder if it could still apply 4 years later?

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/9415/fau-wxel-ink-hd2-deal?ref=search

More detail in the Sun-Sentinel article (link below) referenced in the All-Access blurb (above):

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/20...30_1_digital-radio-hd-radio-receiver-fm-radio

More info on the WXEL potential station sale from October 2009 in The Palm Beach Post:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/local_news/epaper/2009/10/05/a1b_wxel_1006.html

Scott Fybush said:
...a Spanish-language public radio format on the HD3 in LA...might be a possibility for WXEL as well.
That one belongs on WKCP, Miami, whenever they get around to adopting HD technology.

Scott Fybush said:
It also has a Spanish-language public radio format on the HD3 in LA, if memory serves. That might be a possibility for WXEL as well.

The only time I was able to get the not so robust HD3 of KPPC, it seemed that Ahora, the name of the channel, is mostly the content from the Radio Nederland Spanish service. I had heard it was going to be supplemented with US focused content, but I can't hear it and the website does not have any details I could find.

Given the appeal of Spanish language talk ( :-\ ), they may have discontinued it.

DavidEduardo said:
The only time I was able to get the not so robust HD3 of KPPC...
Seems to be a common issue with HD3s
A CBS engineer explained to me that HD3s are transmitted closer to the main channel than HD1s and 2s.
Another West Palm Beach station runs WFAN on HD3 and it keeps dropping out even while their HD2 is solid, or at least
gelatinous.

Here is the answer we have all been waiting for:

"Thanks for getting in touch.
We will be offering a full classical music schedule on our new HD channel.
Unfortunately, FAU will not be involved with us, but we will keep everyone informed as Classical South Florida goes through the process of acquiring WXEL-FM.
We're looking forward to a very exciting future!

Best wishes,

Caroline Breder-Watts
FM Communications and Pledge Producer
Host and Producer, South Florida Artsview and Listening to Movies
90.7 WXEL-FM
561-364-4406"

Classical music eh? Yawn! How about some local talk?

Does anyone listen to HD Radio? Not meant as sarcasm either, I honestly don't know. Is HD catching on?

DavidEduardo said:
Scott Fybush said:
It also has a Spanish-language public radio format on the HD3 in LA, if memory serves. That might be a possibility for WXEL as well.

The only time I was able to get the not so robust HD3 of KPPC, it seemed that Ahora, the name of the channel, is mostly the content from the Radio Nederland Spanish service. I had heard it was going to be supplemented with US focused content, but I can't hear it and the website does not have any details I could find.

Given the appeal of Spanish language talk ( :-\ ), they may have discontinued it.

It is alive...I heard it last week on KCNV in Las Vegas. It's a tinny HD3 signal on a tower that has a tough time reaching a good radio on the 24th floor of a strip hotel...so probably not too many takers.

Radio-X

Put a screwdriver in the wrong hand(s) and watch out.

Half a week later and it is worse than ever. Never mind that their HD2 runs some generic APMG feed with news-talk shows and is at an extremely low volume level, their HD1 makes enjoying the main channel in the fringe area impossible. The transitions are quite seemful with long periods of silence as receivers lock onto the HD1 but then can't go back to analog as if this were an alternate HD channel, but the display does read HD1. No idea how well the delays match, does not really matter. Would someone please confirm this for me.

Listening to HD2 right now....seems okay to me. It's either a different program than WKCP, or a shadowcast.

cd

What about the delays going from either mode to the other. This does not happen on my radio with any other station and I can't force it to stay on analog. Rotate your antenna to get a marginal HD lock and you should experience the same phenominon.

cd637299 said:
That's a tall order, ai....I have the "Armstrong rotor".
cd
Next time you get a chance or disconnect the antenna input and hold it near the connector, You should find a spot where your radio gets confused. They won't be resolving the issue soon.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom