• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

www.921TheBeat.com

What's planed for 101.5? This sounds interesting let us know more as soon as you can.

wow. The ratings for Kiss are pretty low for CC. How come the Tulsa Kiss does so poorly?

> wow. The ratings for Kiss are pretty low for CC. How come
> the Tulsa Kiss does so poorly?

Kiss did so poorly because the competition is so damn good. KHTT is one of the most respected CHR's in the country and for good reason. A station in market #65 has to be great to be as well respected as KHTT is. It's mentioned in the same breath as stations in markets three times Tulsa's size. If KIZS were launched between 1991 and 1993, 106.9 would almost certainly be doing something else today. KAYI had been run into the ground by insipid ownership, and KMYZ was doing everything it could do to avoid being called a CHR. Love him or hate him, Renda did something right by putting a lot of effort into a station that had a format no one wanted and revitalizing it. By the time people wanted to do CHR again, KHTT was too good.

The scoop on that doomed station...

> > wow. The ratings for Kiss are pretty low for CC. How come
> > the Tulsa Kiss does so poorly?
>
> Kiss did so poorly because the competition is so damn good.
> KHTT is one of the most respected CHR's in the country and
> for good reason. A station in market #65 has to be great to
> be as well respected as KHTT is. It's mentioned in the same
> breath as stations in markets three times Tulsa's size. If
> KIZS were launched between 1991 and 1993, 106.9 would almost
> certainly be doing something else today. KAYI had been run
> into the ground by insipid ownership, and KMYZ was doing
> everything it could do to avoid being called a CHR. Love
> him or hate him, Renda did something right by putting a lot
> of effort into a station that had a format no one wanted and
> revitalizing it. By the time people wanted to do CHR again,
> KHTT was too good.
>

It's WAAAY deeper than that...

I was doing swing at KHFI Austin and put together the original music library for KIZS. I asked John Roberts at the time about possibly moving to Tulsa for a larger role with the startup station and his response was something along the lines of "I couldn't do that to you Robbie."

From what I've been told the station signed on with a full staff - but that didn't last long. It became the semi-automated piece of crap we all came to know and love not long after signing on. I think that was always in the cards for KIZS, and the powers that be knew it before it even signed on.

Anyway, I ended up moving to OKC to do middays, promotions and imaging for Wild 97.9 before moving to Tulsa as the APD/production director at KHTT under Sean Philips. It didn't take me long to realize he was totally insane, and I ended up doing afternoons on Live 101.5. A few weeks later after Dave left, I was doing afternoons on KIZS too. It was an interesting experience. Never in my life have I been asked to do so little and had so little oversight at any station. Literally - nobody knew or cared if I voicetracked my entire shift on both stations.

Enter CC Matthews... Since I was pretty much the only staff KIZS had at the time, I was his go-to guy. I invited him to dinner at the Promenade food court one day and presented him with the plan that I'm certain secured my ticket to hell - flip 101.5 to rhythmic CHR - and basically clone OKC's Wild 97.9. That night Live 101.5 had a concert with Superchick and a few other artists and CC and I spent the whole show talking about the potential flip.

A few weeks went by and CC couldn't decide if he wanted to make the move or not. Meanwhile a RESM friend of mine offered me the chief engineer job at a Clear Channel cluster in Alabama for twice the money I was making at KIZS/KMRX and I took it. CC asked me not to go, but still couldn't decide if he wanted to pull the trigger on KMRX or not so I went.

Not long afer that, KTBT made its debut under that idiot Fisk, who I've never met but have had the displeasure of chatting with on the phone several times.

It's funny just how different things could have been for both of those stations if just a few things had happened slightly differently. If Clear Channel had been serious about 92.1 in the beginning, it could have EASILY toppled KHTT before Tod Tucker came in and fixed it.

And 101.5 could have been successful much sooner. I took an equally crappy signal in Lubbock and scored a 10.1 share 12+ with it during its first book and a 10.6 during its second book.

CC and Fisk just totally botched the plan...

Robbie Cruise
Former Afternoons KIZS/KMRX

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom