• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WWSI TV sold

So now Comcast owns 2 stations in the Philly market. Why do they have to move the transmitter? Channel 62 has full market coverage on Xfinity, FiOS, DirecTv and Dish.

Bill_W said:
So now Comcast owns 2 stations in the Philly market. Why do they have to move the transmitter? Channel 62 has full market coverage on Xfinity, FiOS, DirecTv and Dish.

Weak and difficult to get OTA signal for many. However, I doubt Comcast will move transmitters. WCAU could just run WWSI on a WCAU sub-channel. I don't think WWSI is carried on cable up in the Lehigh Valley.

The stick is in Little Egg Harbor Township on the Jersey shore. Not surprised if Comcast tries to move it to Roxborough (with everybody else).

It has an AC city of license, so Waterford Works would be the closest. But wouldnt the previous owners have tried that already?

Since Comcast is quite cash rich, it could pay TBN something and swap signals with WGTW. However, I suspect the subchannel approach.

Actually, I'm not sure. In one way, Comcast benefits when people can't get their signals over the air, and must rely on paying for them, and the most obvious route would be calling Comcast for service.

WWSI already holds a construction permit to move to Waterford Works.

- Trip

ding12 said:
Actually, I'm not sure. In one way, Comcast benefits when people can't get their signals over the air, and must rely on paying for them, and the most obvious route would be calling Comcast for service.

Comcast also benefits when a station can reach more people and increase rates.

Different corporate divisions operate on their own and are expected to maximize their respective profits. Each network owns production studios. Each studio sells shows to other networks. The studio seeks to maximize its own profits. Each network buys programs from studios other than one that is part of the same company.

Besides, I doubt very many people subscribe to cable just for Telemundo.

FredLeonard said:
Comcast also benefits when a station can reach more people and increase rates.

Different corporate divisions operate on their own and are expected to maximize their respective profits.

It wasn't true for CSN Philly, where ad and subscription revenue weren't maximized, without DirecTV and Dish Network coverage. So, that more people will stick with cable.

FredLeonard said:
Besides, I doubt very many people subscribe to cable just for Telemundo.

Limit to the Hispanic TV HH. Some might be just flipping between Spanish only channels, and finding it incomplete, with not all the popular networks like Telemundo, thus relying on some form of cable. It's analogous if a non Hispanic TV viewer lives in a market say without ABC, but there's just NBC, CBS and Fox over the air. That viewer would be more inclined to get cable to get all the broadcast nets.

With the construction permit listed, I think Comcast will go forward to try to increase WWSI OTA exposure and thus WWSI more viewable in the market, even if it means some people will drop cable and go OTA only. I think it's just make it more uniform with other NBC/Telemundo duopolies elsewhere, hopefully helps Telemundo, and/or makes more WCAU/WWSI salable if Comcast decides to sell off WCAU/WWSI, and just keep the top 3 markets NBC/Telemundos O&Os, or some others, or in lesser likelihood divest off the entire broadcasting operation of NBC/Telemundo.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom