• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WWNK FM WINK 94.1 info

I have a few questions about the station. How long did Russ Bradley work there and what airshift? I know Shadow Stevens was there and moved to WSAI AM in 1988 but did he return when WSAI went to sports and if he did what airshift did he work? Also when Steve Bender started in 88 he worked nights and then sometime moved to middays. Who did nights after him? Also who did overnights after Randi Douglas moved to mornings? When did Beau Michaels, Michael Warren work there and were they maybe weekend jocks? Also when did Michael Mitchell work there and what shifts? Who did the Production work?

Thanks in advance

Production? Me, for one. (I'll remain nameless.) But all too briefly in the summer of '94. Dave Mason was PD, taking over from CC Matthews. Randi was mornings. Bobbi Maxwell middays. Haines Johns afternoons. Michael Mitchell nights. Was Michael Warren also Beau Michaels? I'm thinking Michael Warren was overnights...or was he just weekends. Jeff Davis was around too. Ashamed to admit I don't remember the name of the morning show producer who also hosted the CCM "Alive in Christ" show on Sunday morning. She ended up at WAKW a few years later. Loved the view from the air studio. And the view as you walked into the lobby where you looked through the conference room to the panorama of downtown to the east. I've forgotten the name of the long time production guy before me. They'd fired him to save salary. After me was someone who I recall later moved to WKRC. Loved that 8th and Matson Place basement production room though. No distractions from staff walking the halls. Cool. Quiet. You could lose track of time down there. I'd walk in at 9am and by the time I thought of lunch it would be 2 or 3 in the afternoon. Booth was selling the station. It was in some type of LMA at the time. I'm thinking with Jacor while Bo Wood was buying it. I was never sure who my paycheck was coming from. We were moving to the WKRC building on Highland. I seem to recall the new production studio was going to be the old WKRC air studio. There was a large HVAC vent directly over the mic position in that old KRC studio that Dave Mason was concerned about my having to work around. Great memories of my brief one and only time in Cinti radio.

Thanks for the information. Was Shadow Stevens still there in 1994? Did Jeff Davis do overnights maybe? Was Amy McCullough the producer you're thinking of? How about Beau Michaels in 94? Thanks again Mr. Anonymous.

No Shadow Stevens there. Jeff Davis was around working in promotions during the day so I'm thinking no to overnights. If Beau was Michael Warren, then he was around too. The "Amy" name sounds familiar but that's not what she used on-air. Granted, this was only for the month of August. They wanted to hire me. In the process of being sold and they couldn't afford what I wanted for the gig. But at least to me, Wink was a solid but forgotten AC. C.C. then Dave at PD. E. Alvin and Ted consulting. Fred Slezak in the newsroom. I was never sure why they couldn't make much of a dent in Warm's numbers. Eventually add a still new but growing WGRR and Wink just didn't have the room to find an audience.

Wink was a solid but forgotten AC. C.C. then Dave at PD. E. Alvin and Ted consulting. Fred Slezak in the newsroom. I was never sure why they couldn't make much of a dent in Warm's numbers. Eventually add a still new but growing WGRR and Wink just didn't have the room to find an audience.

I've always wondered why Booth didn't go after WGRR and flip to oldies. I remember they had Chris O'Brien in afternoon drive for awhile before he left to do mornings at WGRR. I remember they did stunt with Oldies as K-Rock simulcasting 1360 prior to going AC as Wink 94.1

Booth claimed financial hardship and signed Wink on as a WWNK AM and FM simulcast. I'd listen to the AM side in Indpls. The station I was at there also had E. Alvin Davis and Ted McAllister as consultants and we shared a lot of the same imaging and promotion ideas. After maybe a year was when they split AM off as K-Rock. Then eventually reclaimed the WSAI call letters and stayed with oldies adding Jim LaBarbara for mornings. The rest of the day included Jim McKnight, Dave Michaels, JC McCoy. And then they moved to sports on AM. By the time I arrived at 8th and Matson Place, the AM had been sold and moved out. The WSAI calls had moved to 1530. WGRR was four years into oldies with E., Ted and Marty Thompson. But how different the market would be had 94.1 gone oldies in the late 1980s. Not that BLZ might not have still become "the Tiger" anyway.

Sidebar: Chris has some video of his Wink days on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z67osJoSKY

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Does anyone remember Robin Stone and how long she did overnights. Also I think Kristy Karas worked overnights. Does anyone remember what years they did it and who replaced them. Also Beau Michaels is a different person than Beau. Beau used to be Pete Griffin on the Q in late 70's-early 80's.
Also did anyone else work on WSAI AM when J.C. Mc Coy and Shadow Stevens and Jim LaBarbara and Dave Michaels? I know Jim McKnight did mornings for awhile and I think came back when they switched to sports and teamed with Jim LaBarbara. Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I know from a reliable source that Shaun Schaeffer was Production Director for awhile. Also found out that Amy McCullough was Music Director probably until C.C Matthews was fired then Bobbi Maxwell I think took over those duties.

I liked her when she was on WINK 94.1. She was on mornings at warm 98 until their current morning show replaced her. She has her own voice over company now.

http://randidouglasstudio.com/

Great memories of living in Cincinnati from 1988-1993. I remember Wink 94.1 and Randi Douglas very well. Was it Chuck she worked with? I also remember the name Shadow Stevens mentioned above although I can’t quite remember what show he did. But most of all I remember Randi’s voice and the Wink tagline “Wink 94.1 - a better mix of light rock with less talk and less repetition!”

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom