• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WWMI AM-1380 Radio Disney

You played well WWMI-AM as Radio Disney 1380.
200px-Radio_Disney_Tampa_Bay_2013.png

R.I.P. 1999-2015 (2016?) :( :( :(
Anybody know what the new format may be? I thinking it something Christian-related as it's now owned by Salem. What was the changes for Salem RadioInsight talked about that was for premium members only? I think Tampa could be one of them. IDK.

This will be Salem's FIFTH AM signal in the Tampa market. Formats could range from "The Answer" , Spanish Christian, "Faith Talk" format or their Christian music AC format, Singing News Radio format [Southern Gospel], Wallace & Gromit Preaching to the Choir format or Christian Tasmanian Devil Screaming format [OK, I made the last two up.] At this point we'll have to wait and see.

This will be Salem's FIFTH AM signal in the Tampa market. Formats could range from "The Answer" , Spanish Christian, "Faith Talk" format or their Christian music AC format, Singing News Radio format [Southern Gospel], Wallace & Gromit Preaching to the Choir format or Christian Tasmanian Devil Screaming format [OK, I made the last two up.] At this point we'll have to wait and see.

Except for the fake ones, LOL :D, All those formats are already taken! It's future sister WGUL-AM 860 already has "860 The Answer", WLCC 760 already has Spanish Christan as "760 Radio Luz", and the duo of WTBN/WTWD already took "Faith Talk 570/910", but Christan AC could work, or maybe it could be anything as every format Salem could think of is taken. Which means that they have to think a lot harder to come up with a new format for WWMI.

Except for the fake ones, LOL :D, All those formats are already taken! It's future sister WGUL-AM 860 already has "860 The Answer", WLCC 760 already has Spanish Christan as "760 Radio Luz", and the duo of WTBN/WTWD already took "Faith Talk 570/910", but Christan AC could work, or maybe it could be anything as every format Salem could think of is taken. Which means that they have to think a lot harder to come up with a new format for WWMI.

Maybe they start switching things around or selling a station off to someone else.

Salem doesn't do English-language music formats on AM, at least not full-time. When it wants to do CCM in a market where it doesn't have an FM, it does it online, which is what it does in San Antonio, Seattle, Minneapolis, and Detroit. So, you can pretty well rule "The Fish" out, and it hasn't done Southern gospel on AM in quite-a-number of years either.

Salem doesn't do English-language music formats on AM, at least not full-time. When it wants to do CCM in a market where it doesn't have an FM, it does it online, which is what it does in San Antonio, Seattle, Minneapolis, and Detroit. So, you can pretty well rule "The Fish" out, and it hasn't done Southern gospel on AM in quite-a-number of years either.

Even considering the # of African American people in South St. Pete and North Tampa (Busch Gardens Area). :) Then again, it might compete a little with WTIS and WTMP.

I had read about this earlier this year. Some genius thought it would be a good idea to put Radio Disney on HD sub channels. And you thought they had no listeners when they were on AM for the most part.

REJOICE for Radio Disney lovers in TAMPA BAY...if they have an HD Radio. Otherwise, still losing Radio Disney. :( Since my father's a mechanic, most of the cars I ride on don't have HD Radio, but there are some cars w/HD here and there, so for me, it sorta a win-win. I wonder if Radio Disney Country in HD Radio will follow up?

REJOICE for Radio Disney lovers in TAMPA BAY...if they have an HD Radio. Otherwise, still losing Radio Disney. :( Since my father's a mechanic, most of the cars I ride on don't have HD Radio, but there are some cars w/HD here and there, so for me, it sorta a win-win. I wonder if Radio Disney Country in HD Radio will follow up?

Well, that was the last we heard of WWMI-AM as Radio Disney. As of December 6, 2015 (or earlier...i think... IDK), Radio Disney AM 1380 signed off the airwaves. Can anybody please have recording of the sign-off. Currently, 1380's full of nothingness. :confused: -_-

That last report of 1380 still being silent after a week reminds me of the running gag Saturday Night Live has in its early days, when Chevy Chase anchored "Weekend Update" ...

"Our top story tonight, Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead." (The joke being, it would actually have been news if he came back from the dead.)

I hope you get my point without my having to be rude about it.

I use that bit whenever an old obit recycles itself on Facebook. Yes, Harvey Korman, along with Francisco Franco, is still dead

That last report of 1380 still being silent after a week reminds me of the running gag Saturday Night Live has in its early days, when Chevy Chase anchored "Weekend Update" ...

"Our top story tonight, Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead." (The joke being, it would actually have been news if he came back from the dead.)

I hope you get my point without my having to be rude about it.

AM 1380 has returned to the air. It's now "AM 1380 The Biz". Wall Street Journal Network

That's consistent with Salem's programming philosophies. If all the Christian-based formats they would normally program are already on the air in a given market, they will do some flavor of News/Talk. They rarely do a music format on an AM signal.

Salem Business format means they're going to take the stuff that they've been stuffing into the cracks on 860 and move it over there. That means they'll have Wall Street Journal in the morning, Phil Grande (who at one time was paying $1000 a day to preempt Michael Medved on 860 and 930) in afternoon drive, Chris Markowski (also brokered), and a bunch of other brokered shows masquerading as Dave Ramsey. I thought it wasn't possible to get worse than Radio Disney. I was wrong.

And so ends a VERY long stretch of music programming on 1380. With the exception of the brief WNSI experiment in 1982, AM 1380 has aired music for who knows how long (has to be over 50 years.) Even more impressive is that most of those years it was some type of Top 40 format (yes for the sake of this discussion I will consider Radio Disney to be Top 40 as well as the Q105 simulcast.)

And so ends a VERY long stretch of music programming on 1380. With the exception of the brief WNSI experiment in 1982, AM 1380 has aired music for who knows how long (has to be over 50 years.) Even more impressive is that most of those years it was some type of Top 40 format (yes for the sake of this discussion I will consider Radio Disney to be Top 40 as well as the Q105 simulcast.)

I never really thought about it until you mentioned it, and you are correct. With the exception of WNSI News One Radio, AM 1380 has always had some kind of a hit music format from the days of WLCY through WRBQ-AM and WWMI. It will seem kind of strange not hearing music on AM 1380 any longer.

I never really thought about it until you mentioned it, and you are correct. With the exception of WNSI News One Radio, AM 1380 has always had some kind of a hit music format from the days of WLCY through WRBQ-AM and WWMI. It will seem kind of strange not hearing music on AM 1380 any longer.

I never listened or cared that much for Radio Disney; except that I was glad that music continued on 1380; I knew things could get worse though and they sure have.......... With Salem...... All things are possible.

Before WLCY, 1380 was WTSP; don't remember that but have read it and I believe they were a Mutual/MBS affiliate ; don't know if they had mostly music or network programming; assuming Mutual had much programming by the mid to late 1950's.

I never listened or cared that much for Radio Disney; except that I was glad that music continued on 1380; I knew things could get worse though and they sure have.......... With Salem...... All things are possible.

Before WLCY, 1380 was WTSP; don't remember that but have read it and I believe they were a Mutual/MBS affiliate ; don't know if they had mostly music or network programming; assuming Mutual had much programming by the mid to late 1950's.

AM 1380 started out as WBOX-AM 1370, moving to 1380 with a call letter change to WTSP in 1939 and finally to WLCY in 1959. The WLCY call letters came about because then program director Marshall Cleaver wanted to name the station after the Bordon Milk cow - Elsie (LCY pronounced sounds like Elsie. As it turned out Bordon never trademarked the name Elsie so WLCY was free to use the Elsie name).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom