• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WW1 Standards

Is the Westwood One standards format still on the air? It seems like dozens, if not hundreds of stations have dropped it in the last year or so. I used to be able to pick it up on 3 stations around here, now I can hear none.

One station here that was running it, recently switched to ABC's Stardust format. If it is still on the air, does it still have a live airstaff? If it does, they're talking to very few people these days...

Had me all excited!

> Is the Westwood One standards format still on the air? It
> seems like dozens, if not hundreds of stations have dropped
> it in the last year or so. I used to be able to pick it up
> on 3 stations around here, now I can hear none.

In the header, with WW1, I thought you were talking about standards
from the World War I era! Seriously. There were some really amusing
songs, a few of which you can still find on various websites. The
melodies generally suck but the lyrics can be hilarious. "Would You
Rather Be a Colonel With An Eagle On Your Shoulder Or a Private With
a Chicken On Your Knee?", etc.....<P ID="signature">______________
Artificial intelligence is NO match for natural stupidity!</P>

It's still on their website, but almost certainly with far fewer stations. I used to enjoy it when it was called AM Only and was a true Nostalgia format. Now it's Soft AC Oldies and it's not the same. They say they want to reach the audience between the two formats, which means they end up pleasing neither audience. Same applies to ABC's Startdust and Memories formats.

<blockquote>Adult Standards is one of Westwood One’s most successful formats reaching the upscale 35-64 demo with a blend of the top-testing gold standards by the world’s best artists like Neil Diamond, Frank Sinatra, Barbra Streisand, Tony Bennett, The Carpenters, Johnny Mathis, and Simon & Garfunkel Recently updated and evolved, Adult Standards creates new opportunities to reach the audience between Nostalgia and Soft AC stations. This huge “Baby Boomer” demo will find this great Westwood One format just right with researched hits from the ‘50s, ‘60s, and ‘70s plus selected recent favorites from the eighties featuring artists like Barry Manilow, Celine Dion, James Taylor and Elton John.

Hosted By: Jeff Rollins, Chick Watkins, Ed Brand, Mark Haden, Don Reid, Casey Hayes, Bill Jones and Nick Gerard. </blockquote>

>
> One station here that was running it, recently switched to
> ABC's Stardust format. If it is still on the air, does it
> still have a live airstaff? If it does, they're talking to
> very few people these days...
>

> It's still on their website, but almost certainly with far
> fewer stations. I used to enjoy it when it was called AM
> Only and was a true Nostalgia format. Now it's Soft AC
> Oldies and it's not the same. They say they want to reach
> the audience between the two formats, which means they end
> up pleasing neither audience. Same applies to ABC's
> Stardust and Memories formats.

Don't Stardust and Memories target two different audiences? That sounds very confusing.

>
> One station here that was running it, recently switched to
> ABC's Stardust format. If it is still on the air, does it
> still have a live airstaff? If it does, they're talking to
> very few people these days...
>

1050 WLIP here in Kenosha, 850 WAIT Crystal Lake (Chicago Market), 920 WOKY Milwaukee, 1070 WTSO Madison and 810 WMJH Rockford (Grand Rapids Market) all carried WW1 standards. So I was able to hear it on 5 stations.

WTSO went ESPN Radio in 1999

WAIT went talk in 2002. Later Oldies/Ethnic. Now Air America.

WMJH went Spanish last year.

WLIP switched to the ABC Memories format new years 2004. ABC Memories is a mix of AC, Oldies and a sprinkle of standards. Then they went ABC Oldies Radio in July of last year.

WOKY still runs it overnights and weekends but have gone local with Delilah at night within the past couple years.<P ID="signature">______________

</P>

Sounds as sad as my story. I used to have WKAP from Allentown, PA; WRAW from Reading, PA; and WLAN-AM from Lancaster, PA playing WW1.

WKAP and WRAW are now oldies.

WLAN-AM actually flipped back to standards after a run with sports, but they chose a different satellite provider this time around (I believe Stardust), which I don't like as much as WW1.

The only WW1 affiliate anywhere in my area is WEST from Easton, PA, but their signal leaves a lot to be desired. Too bad such a great format is stuck on one little 1000 watt station in eastern PA.

> I used to enjoy it when it was called AM Only and was a true Nostalgia format. Now it's Soft AC Oldies and it's not the same. They say they want to reach the audience between the two formats, which means they end up pleasing neither audience.<

AMEN, BROTHER. I am in Omaha, where we still have the format, and I've been watching its ratings steadily decline. I hardly ever listen anymore -- nothing that I get excited hearing and WAY too much repetition (but that's the story of radio today, right?) I am *not* pleased.

> > I used to enjoy it when it was called AM Only and was a
> true Nostalgia format. Now it's Soft AC Oldies and it's not
> the same. They say they want to reach the audience between
> the two formats, which means they end up pleasing neither
> audience.<
>
The older listeners don't like the new stuff and are turning it off.
The younger people they're hoping to attract are listening to the Lite FM and aren't going over to AM. Is ABC's Stardust seeing a similiar decline? They're basically playing the soft songs Top 40 stations played in the 60s.

> AMEN, BROTHER. I am in Omaha, where we still have the
> format, and I've been watching its ratings steadily decline.
> I hardly ever listen anymore -- nothing that I get excited
> hearing and WAY too much repetition (but that's the story of
> radio today, right?) I am *not* pleased.
>
Yet KRNT in Des Moines (which had AM Only from day one) dropped the satellite feed a few years ago in favor of doing it locally (mostly voice-tracked), haven't changed the music, and their ratings haven't tanked.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom