• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WVOC’s iHeart’s Tumbleweed gone?

Yikes the traffic reports on WVOC definitely sounded like they were piped in from Atlanta this morning. With iHeart making another round of cuts I am wondering if their longtime traffic reporters have been dropped. Anyone know!

Hate to answer my own question but I did get confirmation that yes, multiple folks at the iHeart Columbia stations have been indeed laid off due to the latest iHeart reorganization.

Will the last one left please turn out the lights!

Something I could never understand is why WVOC allowed someone called "Tumbleweed" to report on traffic?

Listeners like to know names, not nicknames; I guess Tumbleweed blew away, and now at least we have a few names to associate with traffic reports.

On another note, Christopher Thompson who was on the morning show with Gary David hasn't been heard from lately as well. Was he dropped as well?

WVOC could also tweak their homepage as well; Gary David is the only employee featured with a bio. Is he the only local employee remaining on the payroll?

Something I could never understand is why WVOC allowed someone called "Tumbleweed" to report on traffic?

Listeners like to know names, not nicknames; I guess Tumbleweed blew away, and now at least we have a few names to associate with traffic reports.

On another note, Christopher Thompson who was on the morning show with Gary David hasn't been heard from lately as well. Was he dropped as well?

WVOC could also tweak their homepage as well; Gary David is the only employee featured with a bio. Is he the only local employee remaining on the payroll?
UPDATE 7/19/2022

Christopher Thompson has returned to the Morning Show with Gary David.

Still no Tumbleweed though, and calls to WVOC aren't returned.

Tumbleweed didn’t just cover WVOC, he did traffic for all of the Columbia iHeart radio stations in the mornings.

I figure that iHeart would love to have all their Columbia stations be on syndication or run Ryan Seacrest but of course that is a bit absurd so long timers like Gary David and Jonathan Rush at WCOS are hanging on by a thread for now.

UPDATE 8/24/22 Tumbleweed has been rehired and is returning to cover traffic for Columbia for iHeart stations. He’ll pulling split shifts from 5-9 and 3-7.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom