• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WTWW shuts down

I didn't hear about it until this morning, but many SWLs have reported that last night on the air the DJ stated that they would be ceasing shortwave transmissions at the end of the broadcast due to unaffordable increase in monthly transmission costs (mostly the electric bill). Said they would become online stream only with the same schedules.

No written statement or website update so far.

The reports are that WTWW has dropped the night transmission on 5085, which usually consists of Oldies music. Other transmissions from the station have recently disappeared as well.

DXers will be doing some checks to see if WTWW is completely gone from any scheduled frequencies.

Not surprising for the dying SW platform. Elsewhere WEWN is still hanging on by its fingernails, with only the daytime Spanish on 12050 still going. Other times and frequencies are gone, and the station itself might be ready for its last rites.

KVOH recently reduced its output to just three nights a week due to soaring energy costs.

I didn't hear about it until this morning, but many SWLs have reported that last night on the air the DJ stated that they would be ceasing shortwave transmissions at the end of the broadcast due to unaffordable increase in monthly transmission costs (mostly the electric bill). Said they would become online stream only with the same schedules.

No written statement or website update so far.
I was listening last night and can confirm. Hate to see it go, but I'd be surprised if they had more than a few hundred listeners.

It now appears WTWW has been completely shut down and its station manager ousted, according to posts on SWDX forums. More will probably come out about this in the next few days.

It now appears WTWW has been completely shut down and its station manager ousted, according to posts on SWDX forums. More will probably come out about this in the next few days.
The WTWW Wikipedia page already indicates the station has signed off, and details the final moments of broadcasting.

They shut 5085 down at 0600Z on 11/10, or maybe a bit later (they always shut down at random, usually in mid-song), and are now streaming only.

From Glenn Hauser:

“The SFA transmitter on 5830 & 9475 has not really been on air for quite a while. That is the real problem at WTWW. Glenn”

** U S A. 5830 & 9475, WTWW-1 have not been heard for quite a while. Those should be carrying programming from the station`s owner, Scriptures for America, yet the #2 transmitter with Ted`s rock music or ham shows, on 5085, has continued regularly heard in the evenings on a widely variable schedule --- but not any more: UT Nov 10 at 0205, Dave Zantow in Wisconsin says, ``on 5085, Ted Randall has been babbling that tonight will be the last broadcast due to financial issues. That will continue on the internet with the same oldies and Bible-beater junk.`` I myself did not hear this, but I am told that he also announced that it would be his last broadcast on 5085, unless he could raise $15,000 from the audience. Rodney Johnson in Minnesota says ``there`s lots of talk on their FB group as well``. Walt Salmaniw in BC says ``they usually boom in to Massett, and I will miss them as
they play some really nice music with good fidelity``. Axually the real problem is that for some reason, Ted Randall has been
failing to carry the Scriptures for America broadcasts. They, after all, own the station. So, on Nov 9th or into 10th, a representative
from SFAW in Colorado came in and closed down the station, and ousted Ted Randall. This is a breaking story as we go to ``press`` on Thursday afternoon, and I`m sure there will be more to follow. Maybe Ted will find some other station to carry his stuff (Glenn Hauser, WORLD OF RADIO 2164)”

I dont think scriptures for america owns it... they just leased alot of time on it . at some point, WTWW's owner was george mclintock, a former WWCR employee, i think.

Owners now, if you believe wiki are ted randall himself and his wife, holly misslin.... which im not sure i give much credit to either

Search the TN Secretary of state business records website.... both leap of faith, inc and leap of faith, llc .. either or could be WTWW's licensee... have both been disolved, one does list Holly, ted's wife as the contact.. another lists a nashville address

The reports are that WTWW has dropped the night transmission on 5085, which usually consists of Oldies music. Other transmissions from the station have recently disappeared as well.

DXers will be doing some checks to see if WTWW is completely gone from any scheduled frequencies.

Not surprising for the dying SW platform. Elsewhere WEWN is still hanging on by its fingernails, with only the daytime Spanish on 12050 still going. Other times and frequencies are gone, and the station itself might be ready for its last rites.

KVOH recently reduced its output to just three nights a week due to soaring energy costs.

Unless it's happened very recently, WEWN is still on 5970 kHz, just not for as long a period as previous years. It's been nice not having it around as much as during certain times of the night it sprays hash from 5950 to 5990 kHz, blocking out several broadcasters I actually want to hear.

Seems like it wasn't that long ago that KVOH had triumphantly returned to the air after a fairly lengthy absence. And here they are cutting back due to energy costs. They had a pretty decent jazz show for an hour or two some nights, mixed in with bible quotes and discussion.

It'll be interesting to see how long WWCR lasts, and how long WBCQ's benefactor using that 500 kW transmitter for 9330 keeps it up. I think WRMI is a little more safe, except from constant hurricane threats.

Unless it's happened very recently, WEWN is still on 5970 kHz, just not for as long a period as previous years.
The WEWN 5970 frequency has been missing recently, though I haven't checked for a few days. It had been on only from 00-02 and 12-14 UT before its latest disappearance. Reportedly a different transmitter from that used on 12050.

From Glenn Hauser World of Radio:

“** U S A. Regarding WTWW and Scriptures for America, I came across this rather negative resumé about SFA and PPPP, altho it does not getinto the SW broadcasting angle: Scriptures for America | Encyclopedia.com

Also, characterizing SFA as ``owner`` of WTWW may have been an exaggeration. Wikipedia goes into its history, already in the past tense with latest developments of Nov. 9-10, 2022: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WTWW

Pertinent excerpts: ``...programming from the Scriptures for America broadcast network, part of a long-term leasing agreement that continued throughout WTWW's existence.[citation needed]``

``Owner --- Ted Randall and Holly Misslin m (Leap of Faith, Inc.)``

However: ``I am President of Leap of faith, Inc. owner. George McClintock, 11-11 2022``, he tells me.

WRTH 2022 page 511 lists the ``L.P.: Pres (Leap of Faith, Inc.) George V. McClintock; Engineer: Ted Randall``. So it looks like a
long-running 2- or 3-way power struggle (Glenn Hauser, OK, WOR)

Last edited:
The WEWN 5970 frequency has been missing recently, though I haven't checked for a few days. It had been on only from 00-02 and 12-14 UT before its latest disappearance. Reportedly a different transmitter from that used on 12050.
It had been cutting off at 0100, ruining the first hour of the Mighty KBC on 5960, but tonight it's not on and I'm actually hearing a bit of what I think is Radio Itatiaia from Brazil on 5970.

WRMI has long had oldies as filler music, so this should be an easy addition for them.

@tomservo someone brought up WTWW in one of the big broadcasting facebook groups... im glad i didnt pipe up.. cuz ted eventually did.

and we know how well it went last time between us..... him and I are like oil and water

Back
Top Bottom