• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WTMP adjusts format

WTMP has adjusted its format. They are now calling themselves "Tampa Bay's music station". They still play Motown and disco, but there is a lot more 70s rock.

They have also improved the audio quality of their HD on their primary 1150 AM signal. I think that they are the only AM station in Florida broadcasting in HD.

I noticed the format adjustment last weekend. I also noticed they are pushing time slots for brokered programming. So that leads me to thinking that the music will just be a placeholder between brokered shows. That’s probably the only scenario that will make them any money at this point.

As for the HD signal, to me it sounds as bad as it always has. But maybe I’m expecting too much from HD on AM.

I didn't hear any of those spots pushing for brokered programming. They must not be doing very well.

As for the HD, I really think it sounds much better. I was previously several seconds behind the analog. Now they are synced, so that is something.

Heard them earlier this week while in Tampa. The 92.9 translator was pretty poor in Brandon.

Don't expect that the new format will do any better than the adult Urban oldies format. Since WTMP had been Black formatted since the 60's and had that history, they've kicked that previous audience to the curb.

In the times I was listening to it, the only real commercial I heard was for "Binge TV" which is owned by Mr. WTMP. So it really isn't bringing in any income. I expect that Mr. WTMP is having to write a check every month to keep WTMP on the air. Not that it should be that expensive to run; there don't seem to be any employees since there are no DJs.

The black oldies format was huge in the 55+ demo, regardless of the listener's race. It did well enough that WTMP-AM was the second highest rated AM after WFLA in 12+. The problem is to find a way to bring in additional audience without necessarily alienating the majority of existing listeners.

They may have updated the playlist, but not their (verified) Facebook page. It reads "Classic Motown and R&B from the 60s,70s and 80s."

They may have updated the playlist, but not their (verified) Facebook page. It reads "Classic Motown and R&B from the 60s,70s and 80s."

Strange that they haven't updated their FB page.

I see a lot of positive listener comments there. Not too many negative ones. So maybe they are on to something.

It can be done, you can carefully choose the 60s And 70s that elder humans have nostalgia for while also playing the ones that younger people know, heard in recent pop culture entertainment and media.
Maybe some people want a break from the Adult Hits, but don't like what country and pop are pumping out these days.
But what do I know? I'm just a radio nerd outlier.

elder humans? Excuse me? Let me pull my pants up to my nipples, fire up my Rascal scooter so I can chase you down and whack you once with my cane! {It'd be two or three times but I wore myself out pulling my pants up to my nipples.}

Funny...
"Elder humans" in 2024 are totally different than they were in the past.
Please, help me out here. What is the correct terminology?
Is calling you "O-G Pop" getting my desired attempt at showing you the upmost respect?

I miss the R&B, but love the Saturday talk shows. I listen online from NC.

Yes WTMP was a staple from the 1950s so it has a strong Legacy in Tampa

Jammin oldies came on like gangbusters!

It tied the heritage oldies station in each market out the gate and had much much better prime demo numbers in many markets.

But.....
It burned out very quickly and a year later peeps were out or tweaked to urban ac.

The lesson is play all the good stuff! 1955-1980, focus 64-75, play the tried and true and sprinkle in a focused huge set of those oh wows but be careful. A hit everyone knows must play every other song!

Then, get on fm in some way, and not only hit up on that stream but teach your listeners how to listen on their phone in the car, work, home in a respectable way that doesn't insult them.

Fairy simple, but the pros know their stuff so you should probably listen to them on this one.

"Your majesty" would work....😁
I curtsey "Your Majesty" and politely say in a soft, warm tone from my heart and soul, thanks for loving the best music ever made, the music that cut lines separating white and black kids, the music that did so much more than deceptive legislation with alter intentions beyond what was on the surface to bring people together, to treat quality humans with the respect and decency that they deserved, the music that bonded white and black soldiers during a stupid war in South East Asia that led to great men black and white flying back home sitting down and not in some wooden box!!!!

Okay, Bryan your therapist said that you need to calm down to keep that blood pressure and the lil bit of sanity you gots left on fleek.

Jammin oldies came on like gangbusters!

It tied the heritage oldies station in each market out the gate and had much much better prime demo numbers in many markets.

But.....
It burned out very quickly and a year later peeps were out or tweaked to urban ac.

All successful stations will have to be “tweaked“ to stay relevant with listeners. The problem with many Jammin’ Oldies stations is when they weren’t tweaked. Many of them were thrown on and ran on autopilot.

WFJO did well here and would have continued to do well had Cox not wanted to jump on the “all ‘80s” trend with The Point. Had JO 101.5 been allowed to survive and adjust with the times, I believe it wouldn’t sound terribly different from today’s 101.5 The Vibe.

All successful stations will have to be “tweaked“ to stay relevant with listeners. The problem with many Jammin’ Oldies stations is when they weren’t tweaked. Many of them were thrown on and ran on autopilot.

WFJO did well here and would have continued to do well had Cox not wanted to jump on the “all ‘80s” trend with The Point. Had JO 101.5 been allowed to survive and adjust with the times, I believe it wouldn’t sound terribly different from today’s 101.5 The Vibe.
I couldn't agree more!
Those 80s formats were such an insult to the people who love that era of music!
I'm glad that Classic Hits, for the most part and it's a station by station basis, has it figured out, but it also wouldn't be fair to acknowledge that there's a bunch of audience now for the music that were in diapers.....the small ones!

Then it was the second chr era!

Hopefully Post & Morgan, Shaboozy, Tommy Richman, Hozier, Benson Boone, Kane Brown, Myles Smith, Samantha Harvey, and Sabrina can compliment her friend Tay and get us out of this down cycle...

I really like the Vibe! And you are right on this one that it would've been a much easier transition to skip those 2 in betweens, even if the chr had FLZ with nice demos B4 the music well dried up!

Back
Top Bottom