• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WTMP adjusts format

WTMP has adjusted its format. They are now calling themselves "Tampa Bay's music station". They still play Motown and disco, but there is a lot more 70s rock.

They have also improved the audio quality of their HD on their primary 1150 AM signal. I think that they are the only AM station in Florida broadcasting in HD.

I noticed the format adjustment last weekend. I also noticed they are pushing time slots for brokered programming. So that leads me to thinking that the music will just be a placeholder between brokered shows. That’s probably the only scenario that will make them any money at this point.

As for the HD signal, to me it sounds as bad as it always has. But maybe I’m expecting too much from HD on AM.

I didn't hear any of those spots pushing for brokered programming. They must not be doing very well.

As for the HD, I really think it sounds much better. I was previously several seconds behind the analog. Now they are synced, so that is something.

Heard them earlier this week while in Tampa. The 92.9 translator was pretty poor in Brandon.

Don't expect that the new format will do any better than the adult Urban oldies format. Since WTMP had been Black formatted since the 60's and had that history, they've kicked that previous audience to the curb.

In the times I was listening to it, the only real commercial I heard was for "Binge TV" which is owned by Mr. WTMP. So it really isn't bringing in any income. I expect that Mr. WTMP is having to write a check every month to keep WTMP on the air. Not that it should be that expensive to run; there don't seem to be any employees since there are no DJs.

Back
Top Bottom