• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WTF Is Going On At KUSF?

DToTheJ said:

Regardless of the accuracy of Lieberman's blog (which doesn't seem to load, by the way), USF is perfectly within its rights to dismantle the KUSF studios whether the station was sold or not. As long as there is a valid LMA and the licensee maintains a legal control point and a legal office for its public files, they can do as they please with the studio.

KUSF is done. Face it.

DavidKaye said:
DToTheJ said:

Regardless of the accuracy of Lieberman's blog (which doesn't seem to load, by the way), USF is perfectly within its rights to dismantle the KUSF studios whether the station was sold or not. As long as there is a valid LMA and the licensee maintains a legal control point and a legal office for its public files, they can do as they please with the studio.

KUSF is done. Face it.

Those who'd know--it seems to me that KUSF did do on-air fundraising drives. Did they take underwriting announcements? (Seems to me that they didn't.) It seems like the college stations that have been taken over by non-com classical formats have all had something in common--they were largely funded by activity fees and other direct funding and didn't run underwriting announcements. (KTRU didn't do pledge drives, either, and was totally funded by activity fees.) I suspect that in Nashville Vanderbilt's media company considered WRVU a revenue-sucker, something that running funders would've dissuaded. It just seems to me that the view that "Pacifica and WFMU don't run underwriting, why should we?" was perhaps fatal to making the stations self-sufficient and less likely to be taken down by the administration.

Will KDFC keep the KUSF call letters or will KDFC will have to change the KUSF call letters for something else for the 90.3 frequency? I keep hearing that KUSF will ressurect somewhere else on another FM frequency.

DavidKaye said:
DToTheJ said:

KUSF is done. Face it.

Maybe so, but in this era, there are public stations (WFMU in New Jersey comes to mind) that, assuming they have a loyal following of a sufficient number, can find a way to sustain themselves quite ably in cyberspace. I heard elsewhere that WFMU is trying to help KUSF do just that, as the link above notes, and for its supporters, few though they may be, that may be enough to find a new home. Some of KUSF's programming can probably be absorbed into the programming of another listener-supported public (not necessarily even in the Bay area) and continue to live elsewhere, regardless of the outcome of this action.

icybluelake said:
Maybe so, but in this era, there are public stations (WFMU in New Jersey comes to mind) that, assuming they have a loyal following of a sufficient number, can find a way to sustain themselves quite ably in cyberspace. I heard elsewhere that WFMU is trying to help KUSF do just that, as the link above notes, and for its supporters, few though they may be, that may be enough to find a new home. Some of KUSF's programming can probably be absorbed into the programming of another listener-supported public (not necessarily even in the Bay area) and continue to live elsewhere, regardless of the outcome of this action.

Understand that I'm not in favor of KUSC taking over KUSF. I don't like "foreign control". I'm also not really that fond of classical music unless it's done really well.

That said, Steve Runyon was at KUSF a lot of years. He clearly saw the graffiti on the wall about the future of KUSF. Why didn't he get a consortium of folks together, form a non-profit, and approach USF with an offer to buy KUSF? For that matter, why didn't *anyone* put together a group to approach USF with an offer?

DavidKaye said:
icybluelake said:

Understand that I'm not in favor of KUSC taking over KUSF. I don't like "foreign control". I'm also not really that fond of classical music unless it's done really well.

That said, Steve Runyon was at KUSF a lot of years. He clearly saw the graffiti on the wall about the future of KUSF. Why didn't he get a consortium of folks together, form a non-profit, and approach USF with an offer to buy KUSF? For that matter, why didn't *anyone* put together a group to approach USF with an offer?

All very good questions. Did the unwinding at KUSF just happen too quickly for such a group to respond, aside from Steve Runyon?

I find myself in somewhere in the middle, one of the few who appreciated KUSF for what it was. While not a big fan of classical music, glad to see it reappear at least somewhere on the dial in the Bay area, signal issues notwithstanding. And not in the least excited about the all-new (sarcasm intended) KUZX.

DavidKaye said:
DToTheJ said:

Notifying the FCC is a critical part of that.

recto101 said:
Will KDFC keep the KUSF call letters or will KDFC will have to change the KUSF call letters for something else for the 90.3 frequency? I keep hearing that KUSF will ressurect somewhere else on another FM frequency.

KDFC call letters have been moved to Angwin, Ca (formerly KNDL). USC/CPRN/PRC have applied to change 90.3FM SF to KOSC if the deal goes thru. USF retains KUSF call letters currently.

DavidKaye said:

that's a good question. runyon started the station 34 years ago. he deserves credit for what he built. maybe he's just not an activist, which is reasonable. he's about to retire, so maybe he's not up for it, who knows. the group did try awhile back, but it didn't get far. now an effort is being made thru sxsw, nfcb, and cbi conference (w/tons of support from FMU) to help other stations do just that.

klewis said:
that's a good question. runyon started the station 34 years ago. he deserves credit for what he built. maybe he's just not an activist, which is reasonable. he's about to retire, so maybe he's not up for it, who knows. the group did try awhile back, but it didn't get far. now an effort is being made thru sxsw, nfcb, and cbi conference (w/tons of support from FMU) to help other stations do just that.

About all they can aspire to at this point is an internet feed that drives a mesh network of Ramsey Kits. Which is a valid option (Phil Kane advised Dunifer to do this, back in the day, though maybe not the net feed part).

DavidKaye said:
I'm also not really that fond of classical music unless it's done really well.
Please explain really well

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom