• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WSTE - Super Siete

Since Super Siete (7) is owned and operated by Univision, why can't WSTE become a Telefutura affiliate instead of showing bunch of informercials and low-rated programming?

I read somewhere that WSTE is the only TV channel that can be seen crystal clear from any point in the island of Puerto Rico (although there might be others now with DTV), so I wonder the same thing.

How come WAPA-TV for example never made a move to acquire Channel 7 if it could be seen from everywhere without needing repeater stations?

I guess throughout the years WSTE station has had more owners than Lilia Luciano. ;D

RadioAMFM said:
I read somewhere that WSTE is the only TV channel that can be seen crystal clear from any point in the island of Puerto Rico (although there might be others now with DTV), so I wonder the same thing.

How come WAPA-TV for example never made a move to acquire Channel 7 if it could be seen from everywhere without needing repeater stations?

I guess throughout the years WSTE station has had more owners than Lilia Luciano. ;D

Channel 7 today has three transmitters, one 7-, one 7 and one 7+ covering the island, This replaced the single transmitter on Cerro Maravilla that put a horrible signal into San Juan, a bad signal into Mayagüez and a poor signal into Arecibo; it only really covered Ponce well. We all remember the city of license compliance of "Un saludo Ponceñopara todo el país."

WSTE 7 should be a Fox or a CBS channel Imagine Fox 7 Puerto Rico or 7CBS Puerto Rico

Why? There has never been a successful English language TV operation in Puerto Rico, despite attempts going back to Roy Chalk's Channel 18 around 1970.

Times has changed with most of the population watching english TV.

If you look at the underlying data, you will find that a much lower portion of the population speaks even basic English now than in the past. English has not been a language of instruction for since 1948 and is now only taught as a subject. The instruction is of limited usefulness, often taught by persons not even fully bilingual, so only those adults who went to private and parochial schools or those that have lived on the mainland and returned know good English.

Surveys indicate that well over 80% of the population is unable to carry on any but a very basic communication in English.

Even the once-successful English language newspaper, the San Juan Star, went out of business.

There is one English language radio station, and it gets a 0.3 when it shows up; in 1970 the several English stations in San Juan got over a 5 share combined.

There is no place in the USA where the share of viewing going to the local OTA TV stations is greater and where cable penetration is lower than in Puerto Rico. And the over the air channels are in Spanish (those Engiish digitial sub channels barely show in the ratings).

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom