• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WSM-FM / Nashville 95

They were also "The Wolf," playing a hybrid of country and rock in the early 2000s, I think. Don't remember the exact dates for it.
I was the Cumulus VP/Programming-Country back then. When we purchased the station from Gaylord it was stipulated that we would not compete directly with WSM-AM. We could keep it Country but not Country gold based like the AM. When I placed John Sebastian in as PD of the FM, the decision was made to incorporate certain rock/classic hits into the mix that would fit within the sound of the current based Country of the time. It was an experiment and a way to differentiate from WSIX and WKDF which were our chief competitors at the time, as well as attract those who were disconnected from (at the time) rock and CHR. The experiment grew the cume, which was our goal. We eventually moved the station back into mainstream Country but quite honestly we didn't give the station the full set of tools needed to effectively compete. Very long story. The station is doing much better now under Charlie Cook's supervision.

In the mid to late 80's I think I remember hearing "Sister Golden Hair" and other classic rock type songs. What was the logic?

Hearing classic and southern rock on country wasn't entirely out of the mainstream in the late-80's. I can remember hearing CCR and the Eagles on country stations around that time.

I will grant you that I wouldn't have expected to hear a country station in Nashville doing that as I generally didn't hear those artists on top-100 market stations. Country, while always popular and successful, didn't really take off nationwide until about 1990. Once the format offered popular artists like Garth Brooks who transcended genres and demographics, country stations either shelved the classic and southern rock or exiled it to weekend specialty shows. The ratings also shot up.

I was wondering when 'Rocking Country' 102.9 would be mentioned. I was visiting family when listening and loved hearing a country hit followed by a liner and Knocking on Heaven's Door reggae style by Eric Clapton.

Back
Top Bottom