• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WSCR HD off

As posted on the Chicago forum, WSCR has turned off their HD. I have been checking the past couple days and it appears that is the case. Might be a good chance for DXers in the Chicago area to monitor the adjacent frequencies.

With WSCR HD off it appears that there is no AM Chicago station that is currently running HD.

As posted on the Chicago forum, WSCR has turned off their HD. I have been checking the past couple days and it appears that is the case. Might be a good chance for DXers in the Chicago area to monitor the adjacent frequencies.

With WSCR HD off it appears that there is no AM Chicago station that is currently running HD.

It appears that more and more AM's are giving up on HD.

It appears that more and more AM's are giving up on HD.

There has been slow attrition for the last decade.

We are apparently down to around 50 or so stations doing AM HD now, and no station is going to buy new HD gear today for an AM station in the middle of a pandemic.

If most home receivers had been built (required?) to have IBOC capability over the years, it might be a way to get a listenable signal above the ever-increasing in-building noise floor. But, so few have it, and most AM listening seems to be in cars, now....not worth it, except to somehow feed an FM translator.
Might be cheaper to use 26 MHz and DRM to feed a handful of translators (an experiment I wanted to try once).

There has been slow attrition for the last decade.

We are apparently down to around 50 or so stations doing AM HD now, and no station is going to buy new HD gear today for an AM station in the middle of a pandemic.

Very true. As an old AM guy I find it sad what's happened to the AM band, but it is what it is.

Just to bring this up to date with the backstory, WSCR and WBBM first dropped IBOC when WBBM moved to WSCR's Bloomingdale transmitter.

Eventually, WSCR's IBOC returned. Then it was turned off. Then both stations' IBOC returned. Then both were turned off. Then WSCR's IBOC returned again. Finally it was turned off in early August, as CADXER noted, and happily, it's been that way since. Apparently diplexing both the analog and digital signals was too much in this case.

Good to have WFAN and WABC, plus whatever floats by on 680 and 790, receivable again in the Chicago area at night!

Just to bring this up to date with the backstory, WSCR and WBBM first dropped IBOC when WBBM moved to WSCR's Bloomingdale transmitter.

Good to have WFAN and WABC, plus whatever floats by on 680 and 790, receivable again in the Chicago area at night!

Agreed. I couldn't get the NYC first adjacents for years because of the Chicago stations running HD. Now it's easier to DX on those frequencies.

Agreed. I couldn't get the NYC first adjacents for years because of the Chicago stations running HD. Now it's easier to DX on those frequencies.

CJOB has been something of a nighttime regular here on 680. Actually more reliable at my location than WFAN. I guess it's just another example of 2020 being the world as we knew it being turned upside down.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom