• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WROR, Unchallengeable?

They are Classic Hits, but they are not solely 80's. During the past couple of days while listening, their 70's stuff is starting to become a deterrent to me. Is it possible that somebody may decide to take take them on and take a piece of their pie, if for nothing else, to stop them from being either at or near the top with a much more 80's focused format, 1983+ instead? Inquiring minds want to know!

Some say the same about ROR. Most classic hits stations are adding more rock to keep the average age lower.
I am thinking much more of an aggressive New Wave Pop/Alternative sound, all the while keeping a Top 40 hit sound. I still think that a "Back To The 80's Saturday Night" type of format could take a 2 or 3 share off of WROR. Not a winning format, but just taking a bite out of them instead.

The problem is that the listeners who were in their teens and 20s during the '80s are now in their 50s and 60s. Soon their music will be a hindrance to WROR in terms of the audience it can sell to advertisers. Classic hits has more of a problem in this regard than classic rock does, but both formats will have to deal with the '90s soon if they aren't already, then the huge problem of the '00s and beyond, with rock in a death spiral as hip-hop and other rhythmic music became the soundtrack of suburbia as well as the inner city.

The problem is that the listeners who were in their teens and 20s during the '80s are now in their 50s and 60s. Soon their music will be a hindrance to WROR in terms of the audience it can sell to advertisers. Classic hits has more of a problem in this regard than classic rock does, but both formats will have to deal with the '90s soon if they aren't already, then the huge problem of the '00s and beyond, with rock in a death spiral as hip-hop and other rhythmic music became the soundtrack of suburbia as well as the inner city.
WROR already is, albeit treading much more lightly than their 1970's fan base.

I am thinking much more of an aggressive New Wave Pop/Alternative sound, all the while keeping a Top 40 hit sound.

Musically it sounds like a good way to piss off everyone. Fans of alternative have already demonstrated that they don't like the pop sound. That attempt hurt a bunch of alternative stations. Meanwhile the new wave and classic alt stuff is already getting played on 92.3. You can see the results. If that's what people want, Beasley already has those bases covered.

Musically it sounds like a good way to piss off everyone. Fans of alternative have already demonstrated that they don't like the pop sound. That attempt hurt a bunch of alternative stations. Meanwhile the new wave and classic alt stuff is already getting played on 92.3. You can see the results. If that's what people want, Beasley already has those bases covered.
You mean on 92 Pro-FM in Providence? I have not tuned into them in many years! I still say the Joe Cortese, which has been working for a couple of decades now, could work. I am not talking WFNX style music, I am talking much more of an aggressive MTV style 80's sound at the time instead.

I am talking much more of an aggressive MTV style 80's sound at the time instead.

You see what ultimately happened to music on MTV? It went away completely for the reason I gave. The fans of the boy bands didn't mesh well with the rappers.

That's not true. They tried to be all things to all people and they pissed off everyone. The beginning of the end was "Walk This Way" with Aerosmith and Run DMC. Great video, but it created a culture clash.

I will dare to say that the beginning of the end was when MTV was sold back in 1986 instead.

I do not listen to "not so Big 103" enough to notice. Besides, aren't they more like a pseudo rock Classic 80's station instead?
A Classic Rock station wouldn't play Britney Spears or Eminem, even occasionally.

The problem is that the listeners who were in their teens and 20s during the '80s are now in their 50s and 60s. Soon their music will be a hindrance to WROR in terms of the audience it can sell to advertisers. Classic hits has more of a problem in this regard than classic rock does
Interestingly enough, WROR performs better than WZLX in money demos, even within 18-34. Maybe WBGB is also outperforming, even if it's not doing so in the 6+ beauty contest. Also in Seattle, KJEB either beats sister station KZOK in key demos, or is close to them.

Classic rock could attract younger demos, though it is a somewhat overrated statement given that rock music has fallen out of favor with the youth today; we are not living in the Guitar Hero era anymore. And classic rock-leaning classic hits stations that perform well generally have done so in a market with AOR heritage, especially in more "heartland" or Rust Belt metros. Furthermore, classic rock stations in New York and Washington DC have to be less "hard rocking" to perform well in the ratings.

And classic rock-leaning classic hits stations that perform well generally have done so in a market with AOR heritage, especially in more "heartland" or Rust Belt metros.

The best example is WMGK Philadelphia. It consistently beats WOGL in the money demos, especially 18-34.

But another example might be The River in Atlanta. Great AOR heritage there as well.

You mean on 92 Pro-FM in Providence? I have not tuned into them in many years! I still say the Joe Cortese, which has been working for a couple of decades now, could work. I am not talking WFNX style music, I am talking much more of an aggressive MTV style 80's sound at the time instead.
I could be wrong, but from the context of what TheBigA wrote, I think he may have meant 92.9 WBOS, not 92.3 WPRO-FM, since he stated BEASLEY has the new wave and classic alt "stuff" (I'm using the latter word as a euphemism) covered.

I could be wrong, but from the context of what TheBigA wrote, I think he may have meant 92.9 WBOS, not 92.3 WPRO-FM, since he stated BEASLEY has the new wave and classic alt "stuff" (I'm using the latter word as a euphemism) covered.
Now that makes sense, however WROR is much more new wave 80's than WBOS is though.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom