• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WRFF

I am in the midsts of digitizing my cassettes (mostly 2012) from Radio 104.5. That station was so great then. Does anyone have the format change recorded? Well, more of a name change… but its no secret that when Radio 104.5 died and switched to Alt 104.5, part of the entire station died too. It was never the same feel after that. As for morning shows, Woody show isnt that bad. But one of the many things that made 104.5 special was music 24/7. I recently started listening to it again and theres some good stuff on it. I guess i needed time to accept that its not the same but that doesnt mean theres nothing good. I admittedly gave up on 104.5 when that happened. I didnt even listen to it or record it. That being said, i should have. Does anyone have the audio of that?? Like the last few songs of Radio and the first few of Alt? I lost track of some of the DJs too.

Thanks!

-Russ

Hey russ,
Nope. but I might have the first day after the switchover. I have a few airchecks of Radio 104.5.
One I just found ,
Alturnative 104.5 WRFF (Philadelphia, PA) 3-8-2016, 1 40 PM Wendy Rawlends into Mike Joans (112 minutes) *.flac recorded in forced analog mode.

Alturnative 104.5 WRFF (Philadelphia, PA) 10-15-2014, 4 50 PM Wendy Rolands into Brian Joans ((143 minutes)

Alturnative 104.5 WRFF (Philadelphia, PA) 9-1-2015, 12 15 PM Unidentified Feamale DJ 80 minutes
Alturnative 104.5 WRFF (Philadelphia, PA) 11-20-2017, 11 55 AM Amber Miller 107 minutes
Alturnative 104.5 WRFF-HD (Philadelphia, PA) 5-27-2020, 3 06 PM Mike Jones (Second Day of Alt 104-5 Branding
119 minutes

Alturnative 104.5 WRFF (Philadelphia, PA) 10-15-2014, 4 50 PM Wendy Rolands into Brian Joans ((143 minutes)

Alturnative 104.5 WRFF (Philadelphia, PA) 9-1-2015, 12 15 PM Unidentified Feamale DJ 80 minutes
Alturnative 104.5 WRFF (Philadelphia, PA) 11-20-2017, 11 55 AM Amber Miller 107 minutes
Alturnative 104.5 WRFF-HD (Philadelphia, PA) 5-27-2020, 3 06 PM Mike Jones (Second Day of Alt 104-5 Branding
119 minutes
I haven’t recorded a radio station in years. I suspect that by now the days of popping a cassette into a boom box and recording off the air are pretty much over. Do people still record terrestrial radio and if so how is it done? I would assume there is streaming and software involved but I doubt that the average person has any interest in it anymore.

. Do people still record terrestrial radio and if so how is it done?

I use software to record on my computer, and use an actual tuner to record over the air.
I prefer analog so set my modded Sony XDR-F1Hd or Rotel RT-1084 in analog mode.
Some people record what they call webchecks (recording from streaming) but I'm not one of them.
For the road, I have a CC Radio 2E but would prefer to get another Sony instead.
I use my laptop while traveling, but have used a Sonic Port VX on an iPod, too.
Others have used the discontinued CC Witness.

John

119 minutes
Perhaps we can work out a deal for some of those. Id love to have some unscoped ones. I have about 20 tapes from Radio 104.5 in 2012, but i didnt record the commercials. I also havent seen anything from 2007-2011 era, the first few years of it.

I did email you. I'd be willing to trade for some stuff.
I'd prefer unscoped.
I don't have anything from 2007 to 2011 from them either.
John

I just checked my spam folder too and im not seeing it. Just to make sure it was [email protected] that you sent it to?

I like unscoped now too. Most of what i have is. I can tolerate commercials scoped, but i hate when people scope out the music. Drives me insane. I had what would have been a KILLER 98.1 WOGL check but they cut the damn music out.

That's because I had to open my email program to send the message to you. You should have it now.
As far as scoped vs, unscoped, I can deal with music scoped out but would prefer not to.
By deal I mostly mean on youtube etc.

Do people still record terrestrial radio and if so how is it done? I would assume there is streaming and software involved but I doubt that the average person has any interest in it anymore.
I use to record a ton of stuff with the tunein app, but they removed the feature. What really pisses me off about that however is they also deleted the library of everything I had recorded in the past. 10+ yr old clips from stations no longer onair. The entire overnight of WIP the night the eagles won the superbowl with the now late big daddy Graham. All wiped away when the app updated. Yes I know I should've exported this stuff long before the feature was removed.

Anyway the music industry has pretty much shut down just about any app on your phone from doing this. Probably some app out there still, but if you can't find anything and have an iphone you can just screen recorded while streaming and it will record the audio. On the PC replay media use to be able to record audio streams, but I havnt tried that in yrs.

Now see me I'd never record from a stream like that.
For a lot of stations, the processing is different, the commercial load is different, i've heard breaks and othre things get cut off...
yeah no thanks.
John

I know people complain about the Woody Show, but alt rock's tastes are so fragmented that frankly, running it would be less divisive than just running music, especially for an audience where mornings listening isn't that big anyway.

I know people complain about the Woody Show, but alt rock's tastes are so fragmented that frankly, running it would be less divisive than just running music, especially for an audience where mornings listening isn't that big anyway.
I like the woody show, theyre the raunchiest and least politically correct of the lot of them. Im about it.

I’m not sure it matters. Regardless of the morning show, you have a station running a format that attracts very few listeners.

I prefer music honestly. But if i have to listen to talk i need to be entertained, where theyre from is irrelevant to me. Free Beer and Hot Wings were hilarious back in the day too. Im not in listening range of any of their carriers now. So very few people listen to the alternative station? Man Radio 104.5 use to be a lot of peoples go to. Even up in fringe area in Schuylkill County. I do have a serious question though, how do they come up with radtings? How can they actually tell how many people are tuned in at any given time and where? I dont understand how they track that.

As I stated many times, Johnnys music intense mornings was over 2.0 points higher then this clown Woody, since his show debuted, 104.5 started to go downhill fast, the average ALT listener wants music, not endless chatter and stupid bits, far different animal then the Classic or Active Rock morning listener.

Woody seems to earn lousy ratings in most markets his show airs outside of California. There are probably a few places where the show performs well, though.

I predicted the AQH share would fall when 104.5 rebranded and added Woody.

I have no idea, though, if cash flow has gotten better or worse since the move.

I wish the station would return to the mature and unobtrusive sound it featured previously. The station plays too much kiddie / young adult music and too few artists. Listeners in Philly do not want a KYSR clone. WRFF's playlist is structured too similarly to a CHR or hot country station with regard to artist & song rotation.

Last edited:
I wish the station would return to the mature and unobtrusive sound it featured previously. The station plays too much kiddie / young adult music and too few artists. Listeners in Philly do not want a KYSR clone. WRFF's playlist is structured too similarly to a CHR or hot country station with regard to artist & song rotation.
And right there is the problem with WRFF and so many other failing alt/rock stations. Put 10 rock “fans” together in a room and you won’t be able to get them to agree on what should/should not be played, or how the station should sound, or what sort of personalities/morning show the station should or should not have.

If there’s no consensus that results in significant listenership in key demos, it’s game over. WRFF will just be a placeholder until something better comes along.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom