• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WQAM Revises Schedule

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/195934/wqam-revises-schedule/

Entercom Sports “560 The Joe” WQAM Miami is revamping its schedule with the new ESPN Radio lineup going into effect on Monday, August 17.

The station’s midday lineup will see the addition of ESPN’s “Greeny” with Mike Greenberg in the 12-2pm slot as The Dan Le Batard Show with Stugotz dropping to just two hours from 10am-2pm. To fill the 2pm hour, WQAM will pickup the first hour of the Hochman & Crowder show so that it and co-owned “790 The Ticket” WAXY both air the full four hours of the show.

Changes are going to take place on August 17th.

What a scheduling trainwreck...

Whomever is calling the programming shots must be on crack.

WQAM's signal is considerably deteriorated after moving away from the bay front salt water location. With just 1 kw at night, it is very limited. Their job is to supplement 790's effort. It's tough being an English language AM station in a market that is now 75% ethnic and where there has not been a successful AM appealing to those under 50 for the last four decades.

It's tough being an English language AM station in a market that is now 75% ethnic and where there has not been a successful AM appealing to those under 50 for the last four decades.
You must at least cover both counties day and night, and my list of stations that do this consists of WIOD.

WQAM's signal is considerably deteriorated after moving away from the bay front salt water location. With just 1 kw at night, it is very limited. Their job is to supplement 790's effort. It's tough being an English language AM station in a market that is now 75% ethnic and where there has not been a successful AM appealing to those under 50 for the last four decades.

At least in my travels in Dade and Broward, the transmitter site move doesn't seem to have affected the day or night signal for 560 too noticeably from earlier. It helps that 560 is available on 96.5-HD2 and 99.9-HD2 (also used for 560 conflicts that used to be farmed out to 880 or another open AM signal hard to receive in Broward at night) and 790 is on 104.3-HD2. I wonder how much smart speakers and the app help listenership at night? Panthers, HEAT (within 75 miles of AAA), and UM are all streamed on these devices and I believe they have the Dolphins too locally (though 99.9 and day games on 560 make that unnecessary).

The programming decision to make it the ESPN Radio affiliate other than morning and afternoon drive time makes sense since 790's local programming would probably draw younger listeners than what 560 used to air. The afternoon drive simulcast still doesn't make sense to me except to not compete against it with either 560 airing ESPN Radio's lineup at that time or to not lose the local show when there is an early sporting event like a Heat game on 790 or Panthers & Hurricanes games on 560.

One complaint I have is that Entercom controls the national play-by-play packages from ESPN (MLB, NBA, & CFB) and Westwood One (NFL, NHL, etc) but clears very little of both packages. When WW1 was on WINZ, the clearances were better but they only have the Marlins and Gators to conflict and used WIOD in case of conflicts.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom