• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

wpon

I listen to this "oh wow" oldies station on the net, they claim they are Detroit, but do they really have a signal presence in the metro proper, just curious..

WPON AM 1460 is in Walled Lake, Michigan broadcasting 760 watts daytime and 580 watts nighttime, directional day and night. I live about 20 miles east of the transmitter site and can barely receive the daytime signal and at night nothing. Streaming is the way to go for this station 24/7. I stream WPON once in a while, they do play some rare oldies.

I would think most of their listeners are on line, because someone like me living in Philly remembers all these songs but no station here plays them, so I have to rely on internet stations like them for my classic oldies fix. Only setback is they sound flat, their stream is not in stereo...what ever happened to that morning guy he was really entertaining Jimmy something.

It's been some 5+ yrs since I listened, but I should again. I wonder if "?" of '? and The Mysterians' ever calls in anymore. What a strange dude LOL. I learned that "96 Tears" was recorded in a home studio just 3 or 4 blocks from where I lived as a kid. Of course I had to moved to Calif. 4 years before that was recorded.

I would think most of their listeners are on line, because someone like me living in Philly remembers all these songs but no station here plays them, so I have to rely on internet stations like them for my classic oldies fix. Only setback is they sound flat, their stream is not in stereo...what ever happened to that morning guy he was really entertaining Jimmy something.
I think you’re thinking of Jimmy James, He left the station not long ago. And yes their streaming sounds awful.

That's the guy, seemed like he really enjoyed being on the air, how long was he with WPON. I found this station 6 months ago so I didn't know anyone there, he talked about being on big signals during his career, and that WPON was on a different frequency while they constructed a new tower site. Not being from the area I don't know the stations he worked at. I bet he was not even getting paid, he just loved playing music and entertaining, did he wind up anywhere on the air...

That's the guy, seemed like he really enjoyed being on the air, how long was he with WPON. I found this station 6 months ago so I didn't know anyone there, he talked about being on big signals during his career, and that WPON was on a different frequency while they constructed a new tower site. Not being from the area I don't know the stations he worked at. I bet he was not even getting paid, he just loved playing music and entertaining, did he wind up anywhere on the air...
I believe Jimmy was at 1460 since early 2000’s. Before his WPON gig, I think he was at WHND HoneyRadio AM 56 from Monroe, Michigan back in the late 80’s. I think he was a good friend of a disc jockey named Richard Hayes who was the music or program director at HoneyRadio.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom