• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WOXY.com goes dark

WOXY.com went dark at 10AM on March 23rd after funding for continued operations fell through. They didn't even get to do a farewell.

Of course, this is the former WOXY 97.7 (97X) from Cincinnati that moved to web-only broadcasting in 2004 and moved their operation to Austin, TX in September 2009.

It's a real shame as they were one of the best outlets for alternative and underground music online. However, they've come back from the brink at least 3 times so far...maybe a fourth?

Why did they go off of terrestrial radio? Internet radio is a black hole for money and not profitable by a long shot.

gunterm said:
Why did they go off of terrestrial radio? Internet radio is a black hole for money and not profitable by a long shot.

You could very well be right, but time will tell the tale on internet radio and it's profitability. Once streaming radio becomes more common place and is installed as standard or optional equipment on cars, then there's won't be much difference in it vs the model for satellite radio.

Internet Radio & Podcasting are in their infancy and it will be a few years before they discover who they are as a viable medium which can generate income.

That having been said we are a mobile society and getting much more mobile with each new generation of technology. The broadcaster who see's the big picture and looks down the road will have a distinct advantage going forward by embracing the new technology and figuring out ways to apply it to their own business model.

Social Media has not been embraced very warmly by terrestrial radio and only now are they discovering that people are looking for stations and businesses that they feel they can connect with. Personally the way I see it, any technology that connects me to potential listeners is a good one and we embrace the Facebooks, MySpaces, and Twitters of this world with open arms.

We utilize Blip.fm on a regular basis to connect with people and get our brand in front of them and in general it works quite well we see bumps in our listeners every time we have a Blipping session.

What I do now with my station and brand is just preparation for the day (and it will happen) when streaming media is the norm rather than the exception.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom