• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WOWY slowly becomes a major player in SC

P

Polonius

Now, several years into its format and dial position, WOWY seems to be reaping the benefits of consistency and performance. The folks there have done a great job with the resources at hand to deliver a solid oldies station. I would guess, listening to the content of commercial breaks, they are making decent money too. Relationships, consistency, follow-thru, performance, gee.... the magic formula. :D

and oldies is becoming much harder to find on the dial in most places. not because of ratings, but because so many advertisers do not want the audiance. the oldies stations that do exist play very little if any 60s (as in two 60s records per hour at most) and mix 80s stuff from the likes of madonna and def leppard with 70s hits.

many of the songs played on wowy are not played on any other station in state college. even lite fm has dropped much of that stuff. so wowy can take advantage of offering something that so many listeners still want but so few companies are willing to give.

I would imagine an oldies station would struggle in State College because of all the advertisers in this area that think SC is 100% PSU students. Unless you're a sports bar or a student bookstore, that demographic is of course substantial here but should not be the demographic upon which you intend to build your customer base. Students are constantly coming and going. You build a relationship with this segment of the State College population and then in 3 months, you have to start all over again?

There are a lot of stationary (not constantly streaming in and out of SC), working, and financially stable older adults here that are largely invisible to local business owners. I love WOWY and have always considered them to be major player in this area. Perhaps business owners here are finally coming around?

I find a lot of rock and sports stations out here. I would love to see the variety widen a bit. We're not all 21 and PSU students. Go WOWY!

Polonius is only wrong in missing that WOWY has been solid in ratings for several books now. They may be benefiting financially from the missteps of others, or simply through good creative and ideas. Good for them. Great job and applause for Nick Bazoo and the gang at the station.

Ned Gimp said:
Polonius is only wrong in missing that WOWY has been solid in ratings for several books now. They may be benefiting financially from the missteps of others, or simply through good creative and ideas. Good for them. Great job and applause for Nick Bazoo and the gang at the station.

Or they may not be benefiting financially at all.

Ned Gimp said:
I work in the building for sister station, B94.5. I have not cracked the mic on WOWY at all and generally I have not been fond of what is commonly perceived as "oldies", but I have to say that I find myself listening to and enjoying WOWY more and more. Its a really nice mix and I love the fact that its obvious they are starting to drift a bit into the 80's tunes that someone my age can appreciate. I think the addition of Mike Harvey to weeknights was a stroke of genius too. It really is a sound that you can easily find yourself "singing along to" and let's face it....its an audience that is currently underserved in this area. My only issue is that I sometimes get lost in the 60's tunes, as they are "before my time"...but that's ok, I am not really in the core demo for an oldies station anyway so that's to be expected. So I say...more power to em! Nick's a super guy to work with and to know and I think he and the rest of the WOWY Crew are doing a fine job with that station. Just goes to show that consistency does pay off. Just say WOWY and everyone knows exactly what to expect (and that's a good thing)

Or they may not be benefiting financially at all.
[/quote]

Spackler1. They be benefiting. Those are not trade spots you hear.

Lets all first remember that WOWY was on another frequency, before 97.1 and when a station makes a change like that it takes a good 3-5 years for people to realize where that station went. I will say that WOWY is doing very well, but I also think this has to do with others around the station. I feel that the people at a radio station that don't get talked about must be doing all the work. Also the production is much better than it use to be on both stations. I have said it before and I will say it again on here, I've been in radio for 25 years and you cant run with just two jocks all the time, even with the add of Mike Harvey at night their sould be 5 joks on the air 2 in the morning for the morning show 1 for middays and then afternoon drive and then Mike Harvey. It's easy to do add a co-host in the morning with Mark then add someone in the middays even if it's the co-host from mornings and then you would have nick in the afternoons and Mike at night. It's an east answer. I hope it keeps going well for WOWY it's a great station.

As a dittohead would say "Longtime lurker, first-time poster." Just had to speak up on this subject: WOWY.

You all are two years late to the party. Check the two-year 12+ trend for WOWY and you'll find it goes from a 6.8 to a 6.5 to a 6.3 and finally to its present 4.4. And in their prime 35-54 demo, it goes from #1 to its current #5. That's the wrong direction.

So all these congratulations belong to the people who were working there two years ago, not the current batch.

Great job, whoever you are & wherever you are.

Two years ago....I think it was the same crew as now. Nick Bazoo and Company. Success estimates may be based on the consistent sound of the station and the growing list of advertizers heard. Bedell has apparently grown the base and forged some good relationships. Ratings fluctuate and oldies is a tough format to sell strictly by the book anyway. WOWY is, by any measure, one of the few radio success stories in S.C.

Actually the line-up isn't the same now. Mike Donovan was programming the station 2 years ago.

Nick has been the man there for well over two years now. He is probably the most experienced, accomplished, (and with a major market track record to prove it) programming guy in town. He left Forever, but who hasn't, and more credit to him. B94 is his latest baby and I bet it will soon start showing up as a ratings success.
With the resources at hand, he has done an amazing job.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom