• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WOWO tribute website is online

Same here. I made tapes of tons of songs off WOWO back around 1989 and 1990, and think my mom might still have them somewhere. If there's any way I can get those (won't be a few months at the earliest until I go back to Ohio for a visit), I'll do my best to get a portion uploaded. I know for a fact that I recorded a few IDs between songs.
I do not believe any recordings were made off skywave. I'm pretty sure I did them all at my grandparents' house in St. Marys, Ohio, which got a city-grade signal 24/7.

schmave said:
Same here. I made tapes of tons of songs off WOWO back around 1989 and 1990, and think my mom might still have them somewhere. If there's any way I can get those (won't be a few months at the earliest until I go back to Ohio for a visit), I'll do my best to get a portion uploaded. I know for a fact that I recorded a few IDs between songs.
I do not believe any recordings were made off skywave. I'm pretty sure I did them all at my grandparents' house in St. Marys, Ohio, which got a city-grade signal 24/7.

I remember listening to Michael O'Shea on WOWO and Bob Dell who later used his real name Bob DelGiorno when he moved to WIND.

I really miss being able to sit in a car or next to any transistor radio anyplace around Pittsburgh and hear Bob Chase and Ft. Wayne Komet Hockey. When I ended up living in WOWO land years later, it was as if I already knew my way around the Allen County War Memorial Coliseum, Wings Stadium and IMA Arena just from years of listening to Chase describe them.

A few other names you can add to the list:
Dan Knight served as an overnight jock from the late 80s into the early 90s.
B.J. Stone worked the evening shift in the early 1990s.
Dean Pantazi was another air personality, working SportsTalk with Art Salzberg.
I also remember a Janele Bunton (hope I'm spelling her name right) as a news anchor and reporter.

Seeing all those names brings back more memories.

I was glad to discover this site as well, as I've been looking for WOWO airchecks for years now. I enjoyed hearing the unique "old fashioned" jingles as well - simple but effective. It's also neat their design of the call letters didn't change for many years. That made them stand out even more! 8)

Anyone know why in the late 80s/early 90s (?) they split the AM & FM IDs when the stations were otherwise a 100% simulcast?

The FM side was liocensed to Huntington (and was only 3kW), rather than say "WOWO Ft Wayne and WOWO-FM, Huntington-Ft. Wayne, they split the stations off during the ID jingle throwing a "Huntington" in on the FM only. WOWO=FM also didn't carry the Komets games, so the oldies continued. Had to be a little strange, your jocking to the entire Eastern U.S., getting calls from all over, then you're lucky to be talking to Aboite Township.

I don't remember if the website mentioned Dale Ulmer in afternoon drive or Larry Kenney in evenings. They werfe promoting Ulmer and Kenney Lemonade Stands..I had one (consisted of a poster). Larry Kenney surfaced briefly at WGAR in Cleveland then New York (WHN?). No idea what happened to Ulmer. This pre-dated the dynamic duo of Chris Roberts and Ron Gregory.

Maybe I missed it on the tribute site, but how long was 103.1 the FM simulcast? I do remember disliking when the music went away on 1190 for Komets games.
103.1's signal was terribly weak. You were lucky to get it within 40-50 miles of Fort Wayne.

If you have cool edit and record the 1988 legal ID with the FM HUNTINGTON part and then mute the right channel you can listen to how the ID sounded on AM. If your really creative you can record your own legal ID. I'm working on one. If I can get one done, maybe I'll post it.

Donny G ;D

One of the real treats on historyofwowo.com is the jingle packages. There are jingles ranging, timewise, from the late 60s to the late 80s. The absolute home runs, IMO, are the Hugh Heller "Air Aces" package, and the TM Century sets from the early 70s. Close behind are the mid 70's TM package, and the JAM packages from the 80's, which are unfortunately associated with the Price Communications era. The PAMS package from 1969 wasn't one of that company's shining moments, and the 1979 Tuesday Productions stuff always just sounded boring to me...Mi dos centavos.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom