• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Wow - Skip Mahaffey Coming Back To Tampa

He's apparently ending his current morning show gig in Tulsa in about a week and returning to Tampa. The reason, according to R-I? He still has family there.
http://www.radio-info.com/news/mahaffey-parts-with-kvoo-tulsa

Either he's chomping at the bit to return to radio here, or he finds it's very, very boring in Tulsa.

According to the reports I've seen Skip says he has nothing lined up. You would think he's too talented to be sidelined for long, but then talent doesn't seem to be what's driving the industry today. Good luck to him.

Not a bad strategic move for Skip. Back in Market 20 even if it is on signal challenged WTAN. But with that he also gets KLRG Little Rock (market 84), AR a 50kw flamethrower on 880 that reaches out to Memphis (at least in the daytime!) Oh yea, and WDCF in Dade City ;) Not a bad platform to base his program perhaps with expansion or syndication in mind, and he is back with his family.

Plus I read in that article he is a fellow alumni (alumus?) of WCOL, I wish him well!

He got killed in Tulsa. Not sure it was 100% his fault, but the morning show was not good. He didn't make it one year at KVOO.

Skip isn't the first guy who was wildly successful in one market, but lost his mojo in another. After 30 years in the Tampa Bay area I've seen an awful lot of guys come in from out of town with big time reputations only to get carried out feet first. (Some of those went on to fine careers in their original or other markets) Skip is still a talent, accomplished professional and if he finds the right fit, I'm sure he'll do well again. I will say that I suspect Tulsa is a much tougher market than the #65 market size might indicate.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom