• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Would a soft AC work here in LA?

I don't know what radio station in San Diego you are talking about, you didn't even give us call letters or frequency.

98.1 is doing a softer version of classic hits.
96.5 is a normal adult contemporary station like KOST.

Neither of these fit the definition of soft ac, but in 2023 what is soft ac?
Looks like there is Adult Contemporary and every station of this format adjusts their currents, recurrents, and gold songs percentage of playlist based upon their own specific market conditions, that's market demographics, the competition, and their own cluster strategy.
Then the subjective how soft or loud are they. But then many of these stations daypart.

As mentioned, you don't put on a station that w ok would completely cannibalize your own, so I guess you want to blow up the Wave too? So Kroq becomes K-Lit, and KTWV? You wanna maybe change them to Rock. Lol
Maybe 94.7 could become the latest and greatest American clueless version of EDM where it's specially programmed to do such a niche format as awfully as possible where as if it was done would need to be executed flawlessly. Yeah that happened on 103.5 in New York in 1996, and within 5 years they changed it.
Perhaps, there's confusion between "Soft AC" and the on air positioner, "Soft Rock".

Perhaps, there's confusion between "Soft AC" and the on air positioner, "Soft Rock".
Yup, the confusion is that the Adult Contemporary umbrella is quite vast today with varying presentation, some very current, some almost completely playing gold. Then we have the texture of sound. Some are very lite, some very upbeat, some sound very lite and very much 80s based only to play an odd new song that some would say is urban or even rap.

Stations will say that they are soft ac or regular ac but the so called soft ac might be more upbeat or more current then a so called regular AC.
And it gets worse..... your favorite AC might come back from XMAS programming only to alter their sound by being softer or older, or hotter and newer, or one of each....lol

So, don't go by what they say that they are, look at logs or listen to a couple dayparts to find out for yourself what they are currently going with.

It seems The Wave fills the role of a Soft AC in Los Angeles. While KTWV doesn't sell itself that way, the Soul of Southern California has the softest and oldest playlist of just about any large market FM station you can think of. Sure, KTWV plays some mid-to-uptempo songs too. But these days Soft AC stations play some mid-to-uptempo songs with adult appeal as well.

Name another station that regularly plays Anita Baker, Sade, Sting, Gloria Estefan, Stevie Wonder, Lionel Richie, Norah Jones and Luther Vandross. Even an occasional 1960s song from Aretha, Marvin Gaye and the Temptations. I heard "So Far Away" by Carole King the other day on The Wave.

Yes, most of those names are African-American artists. But all are core artists on a Soft AC station. I doubt a mainstream Soft AC would be able to find a niche with The Wave having a 35-year head start.
I can’t think of another station that plays an eclectic music mix like The Wave. To me they’re still the same station but with an updated sound for the new generation of adults.

Maybe KNXFM should do Soft AC instead of simulcasting KNX NewsRadio. Were running out of english fms since the lost of both 1003 The Sound and AMP 971

Maybe KNXFM should do Soft AC instead of simulcasting KNX NewsRadio. Were running out of english fms since the lost of both 1003 The Sound and AMP 971
Okay. First of all, by the standards of 25-54 year olds today (the target audience) KOST is a Soft AC. Anything softer than that is going to take you out of the sales demo.

Second. Really? Running out of English FMs?

88.1 KKJZ
88.5 KCSN
92.3 KRRL
93.1 KCBS
93.5 KDAY
94.7 KTWV
95.5 KLOS
98.7 KYSR
101.1 KRTH
102.3 KJLH
102.7 KIIS
103.5 KOST
104.3 KBIG
105.1 KKGO
105.9 KPWR
106.7 KROQ

I count sixteen English-language music stations on FM in L.A. Given that only half of Los Angeles speaks only English, that looks pretty solid to me.

Last edited:
I brought up here several years ago that 93.9 should switch to soft AC given the success of stations like WFLZ, WDUV and KISQ. At that time I was told the demos would be too old plus KOST and KTWV already fill the void.
I think that the Wave competing with themselves that's about right for American radio programming idiocy. Lmfao 🤣

The FM addition to the AM offering of KNX has increased their 25-54 listening by about 1.5 share points and moved the station from around 17th to 12th.

Your idea is not going to happen.

I think that the Wave competing with themselves that's about right for American radio programming idiocy. Lmfao 🤣
If you compare The Wave's playlist with that of any other station, it has a huger percentage of songs that do not overlap any other station's playlist.

I learned in my first duopoly job (as an intern, of course) in 1963 at a 5 AM station local cluster that you can play even 50% the same songs as a sister station and share very little audience.

The FM addition to the AM offering of KNX has increased their 25-54 listening by about 1.5 share points and moved the station from around 17th to 12th.

Your idea is not going to happen.

True enough, but I will take the old KNX-FM with the Alan Parsons Project, Poco, and Ricki Lee Jones over the bad news of the day any day.

I haven't even put 97.1 on since they blew up amp. I could careless to listen to all news. That's as bad as watching cable news all day. Can anyone answer me this with Google maps ways etc ..what's the point in still giving traffic reports on the radio? Everyone has there destination programmed in?

what's the point in still giving traffic reports on the radio? Everyone has there destination programmed in?

It's sponsored. The sponsored traffic reports pay for a lot of the other things they do. But personally, I was just driving in rush hour traffic on the 10, and my phone-based traffic program kept changing my route. It was very distracting. The difference between the phone and the radio is that the radio tells you what the problem is, while the phone just changes your route.

It's sponsored. The sponsored traffic reports pay for a lot of the other things they do. But personally, I was just driving in rush hour traffic on the 10, and my phone-based traffic program kept changing my route. It was very distracting. The difference between the phone and the radio is that the radio tells you what the problem is, while the phone just changes your route.
Thanks. Rerouting rerouting wait ur rerouting the reroute 😡😡😡 Lol I agree very annoying

...and not everyone has their destination programmed in. Many people only use GPS for places they've never been. Many others find their phone screens too small to look at while driving (good for them). And because the average age of a car in the US is 11 years, the vast majority of people are still driving cars that don't have screens to show navigation or Bluetooth to route audio instructions through the vehicle's stereo.

Traffic reports (speaking from experience as someone who did them on TV and radio for five years before migrating back to news) are most depended on by people doing the routine home to work/work to home commute who want some idea of how long it'll take, if they'll be late, how late they might be and any available alternate routes that might help them.

...and not everyone has their destination programmed in. Many people only use GPS for places they've never been. Many others find their phone screens too small to look at while driving (good for them). And because the average age of a car in the US is 11 years, the vast majority of people are still driving cars that don't have screens to show navigation or Bluetooth to route audio instructions through the vehicle's stereo.
I have a friend up in your area who uses his nav system to get himself to the corner gas station, the local Peets and everywhere else, places he's already intimately familiar with. OTOH, I'm one of those persons you describe. Unless I'm explicitly testing the nav's routing algorithm, seeing how it would route me to a place I'd normally get to on autopilot, I just don't fire it up unless I'm heading to an area I'm unfamiliar with. Occasionally I will be going to a new location within an otherwise familiar area, and then I'll stop when I'm close and let it guide me the last mile or two. But I like getting a little lost, because that's how I become familiar with an area. That and old-fashioned AAA paper maps, where you can get the big picture of an area, not just how to blindly reach a particular address.
Traffic reports (speaking from experience as someone who did them on TV and radio for five years before migrating back to news) are most depended on by people doing the routine home to work/work to home commute who want some idea of how long it'll take, if they'll be late, how late they might be and any available alternate routes that might help them.
They're also useful for the people at home who are trying to plan dinner and time out when their commuter/partner might arrive home.

I have a friend up in your area who uses his nav system to get himself to the corner gas station, the local Peets and everywhere else, places he's already intimately familiar with. OTOH, I'm one of those persons you describe. Unless I'm explicitly testing the nav's routing algorithm, seeing how it would route me to a place I'd normally get to on autopilot, I just don't fire it up unless I'm heading to an area I'm unfamiliar with. Occasionally I will be going to a new location within an otherwise familiar area, and then I'll stop when I'm close and let it guide me the last mile or two. But I like getting a little lost, because that's how I become familiar with an area. That and old-fashioned AAA paper maps, where you can get the big picture of an area, not just how to blindly reach a particular address.

They're also useful for the people at home who are trying to plan dinner and time out when their commuter/partner might arrive home.

My stock line—-and I’m completely serious—-I discovered some of my favorite places while lost.

I haven't even put 97.1 on since they blew up amp. I could careless to listen to all news. That's as bad as watching cable news all day. Can anyone answer me this with Google maps ways etc ..what's the point in still giving traffic reports on the radio? Everyone has there destination programmed in?
I second that. I enjoyed 97.1 AMP even though they didn’t have mix shows. Hell I even listened during their time as 97.1 Now.

How would The Wave be competing with itself? It’s owned by Audacy, KOST is IHeart and 93.9 is Meruelo.
Sorry, I was responding to the initial idea of putting the format on 106.7, which would be insanity, I should have clarified that.

And David you are exactly right, it's not the song overlap, it's that a soft ac on 106.7 would extract Audacity L.As range of cluster Demographics while putting on a station that would share too much audience and take away from not only the Wave but K Earth as well.
With that said, sometimes you would still put that station on or keep it the same if it's obvious that if you took the format off, a competitor would jump on the format like KTU in New York in regards to sister's Whtz and WLTW.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom