• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Worst Top 40 stations and/or worst Top 40 jocks

radioman148 said:
MsMusicRadio said:
Herb Oscar Anderson . Might have been great on MOR, but not a good fit for 77 WaBeatle C. Also the late Henry DaBecco on KQV. Even though we were sort of friends, he was also better for MOR and admitted he did not like KQV music and did get out and go to a B/EZ station when B/EZ had jocks and later did TV voice overs.
HOA didn't like Rock & Roll. He used to read the newspaper while the records were playing & the engineer would have to get his attention to let him know the record was ending.
The fade at the end didn't get his attention? He must have had his monitor turned down. At any rate, songs were short in those early days! Imagine having an engineer on duty just to tell you that your records were ending! You wouldn't see that nowadays!

Tom Clay was awful in 1962 on then top 40 KDAY 1580 Los Angeles in afternoon drive. Most days he would play all Johnny Mathis songs in his last hour ! By far the worst, and sadest considering his earlier network tv fame, Dave Garoway as a top 40 jock on KGBS 1020/97.1 in L.A. I think it was his last broadcast gig.

The history of radio is chock full of jocks who were very good in other formats but fell flat as rock jocks. Rather than talk about those, I'll mention two in Chicago who arguably out of their element in top 40 radio, but were pros who still did a credible job. WIND alums Dick Williamson at WCFL, and Bernie Allen on WLS.

cyberdad said:
The history of radio is chock full of jocks who were very good in other formats but fell flat as rock jocks. Rather than talk about those, I'll mention two in Chicago who arguably out of their element in top 40 radio, but were pros who still did a credible job. WIND alums Dick Williamson at WCFL, and Bernie Allen on WLS.

Amazingly Bernie Allen lasted 4 years on WLS and the reason was his time slot was mid days when kids were in school. Had he been on any other time it wouldn't have worked.

Stuart Greenberg said:
The "Worst Jock' ever (from a person not in the radio business, but as a listener) has to be...

Danny Bonaduce (I know he is from the 90s' to present, but I thought it was a good topic)

Thanks,
Stuart
DITTO! on Bonaduce on radio(NO TALENT) horrible voice, horrible person, and a snotty little brat on The Partridge Family.

cspotrun said:
Stuart Greenberg said:
The "Worst Jock' ever (from a person not in the radio business, but as a listener) has to be...

Danny Bonaduce (I know he is from the 90s' to present, but I thought it was a good topic)

Thanks,
Stuart
DITTO! on Bonaduce on radio(NO TALENT) horrible voice, horrible person, and a snotty little brat on The Partridge Family.

Agreed. I'm amazed he's lasted this long.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom