• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Worst Programmed Alt Stations

I'll go first...

WFXH-FM Rock 106.1 - The Only Station That Really Rocks! (nice lame positioner there) here in Savannah. Other than an occasional alt-rock song, a classic rock song, or a gold or two, If it isn't Saliva, Godsmack, or a litany of other active rock bands, it doesn't get massive airplay. Yet this station is allowed to report as an alternative! It's horrible and I really wish someone would get the nerve to challenge this lame duck of a supposed alternative station. Meanwhile bands like The Raconteurs are barely represented and songs by bands or artists like The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, TV On The Radio, Snow Patrol, Starsailor, Thom Yorke, Regina Spektor, Paul Westerberg, Me First And The Gimme Gimmes, Jack Johnson, The Decemberists, and many others are being ignored. WFXH, stop with the uncreative playlist and ditch the classic rock! You're allegedly an alternative station...try acting like it! Someone needs to show this market that an alternative/modern rock station can flourish and doesn't have to play hours and hours of nu-metal to do so. Z102, when it was alternative, proved that. 96Wave in Charleston proves it, and has done so for years. In other words, WFXH - stop fearing songs with melodies or acoustic guitars. They won't harm you or your listeners.

Here's a sample music log from today...

1PM - "Black Hole Sun" - Soundgarden
1:05 - "The Pot" - Tool
1:13 - "Hash Pipe" - Weezer
1:16 - "Glycerine" - Bush
1:20 - "Politics" - Korn
1:31 - "Whereve I May Roam" - Metallica
1:37 - "Crazy Bitch" - Buckcherry
1:40 - "Hell's Bells" - AC/DC
1:45 - "Snow (Hey Oh) - Red Hot Chili Peppers
1:58 - "Sex Type Thing" - Stone Temple Pilots

2PM
2:02 - "Through Glass" - Stone Sour
2:06 - "Smells Like Teen Spirit" - Nirvana
2:11 - "B.Y.O.B." - System Of A Down
2:16 - "Again" - Alice In Chains
2:20 - "Face Down" - The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
2:30 - "(You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (To Party)" - The Beastie Boys
2:34 - "Speak" - Godsmack
2:38 - "Good Times Bad Times" - Led Zeppelin
2:47 - "Bawitdaba" - Kid Rock
2:51 - "Mudshovel" - Staind
2:55 - "Only" - Nine Inch Nails

3PM - "Everlong" - Foo Fighters
3:04 - "Welcome To The Black Parade" - My Chemical Romance
3:09 - "The Red" - Chevelle
3:13 - "Are You Gonna Go My Way" - Lenny Kravitz
3:16 - "Goodbye" - Army Of Anyone
3:26 - "The Unforgiven" - Metallica
3:32 - "The Kill (Bury Me)" - 30 Seconds To Mars
3:36 - "All Along The Watchtower" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
3:40 - "Land Of Confusion" - Disturbed
3:53 - "Brain Stew" - Green Day
3:57 - "Hemorrhage (In My Hands)" - Fuel

4PM
4:01 - "Anna Molly" - Incubus
4:05 - "Loser" - Beck
4:09 - "So Cold" - Breaking Benjamin
4:14 - "The Down Town" - Days Of The New
4:18 - "Drown You Out" - Crossfade
4:28 - "Come Down" - Bush
4:32 - "Save Me" - Shinedown
4:36 - "Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love" - Van Halen
4:40 - "The Pot" - Tool
4:54 - "Lightning Crashes" - Live
4:59 - "Scars" - Papa Roach

5PM
5:03 - "No Excuses" - Alice In Chains
5:07 - "Snow (Hey Oh)" - Red Hot Chili Peppers
5:13 - "Guerilla Radio" - Rage Against The Machine
5:17 - "Holiday In Cambodia" - Richard Cheese
5:18 - "Ladies And Gentlemen" - Saliva
5:29 - "Shine" - Collective Soul
5:35 - "Just Stop" - Disturbed
5:38 - "Hard To Handle" - The Black Crowes
5:41 - "Pain" - Three Days Grace
5:52 - "Interstate Love Song" - Stone Temple Pilots
5:55 - "Change (In The House Of Flies)" - Deftones
5:59 - "-45-" - Shinedown

6PM
6:03 - "Through Glass" - Stone Sour
6:07 - "Been Caught Stealing" - Jane's Addiction
6:12 - "Cold" - Crossfade
6:15 - "Chop Suey" - System Of A Down

Is the question about 'Worst Programmed Alt Stations'?
Or
Is the question about stations which don't fit your definition of Alternative?

content said:
Or

I'm talking about stations, like WFXH, that eschew the format to sound like an active rocker yet still being allowed to report as an alternative.

And also WFXH does almost zero promotions, save for practically living at a nightclub on Hilton Head. Even though they've moved the station to Savannah, you'd never know the station existed thanks to their lack of marketing. But then again Triad's never been one to do any type of promotions for their stations whatsoever.

FilmCritic3K said:
content said:
Or

I'm talking about stations, like WFXH, that eschew the format to sound like an active rocker yet still being allowed to report as an alternative.

And also WFXH does almost zero promotions, save for practically living at a nightclub on Hilton Head. Even though they've moved the station to Savannah, you'd never know the station existed thanks to their lack of marketing. But then again Triad's never been one to do any type of promotions for their stations whatsoever.

Um, who cares? Labels who want their artists to perform on a particular chart? Music snobs who think listeners should be inundated with "too hip for the room" crap? Puh-lease. The vast majority of listeners don't care about any of that stuff, they just want to hear the music (and to some extent personalities) they like. If their station is satisfying that need, they'll listen and the station will get good numbers. Look at the most successful (from both ratings and revenue standpoints) "alternative" stations in the country... aside from KROQ very few of the uber-alt stations do that well. The past 3 markets I've worked in, the "Alt" stations have had their highest ratings when they were more active leaning... sorry but more people want to hear Seether and Stone Sour and Nickelback than do OK GO and the Racontours and Muse... doesn't mean their music is better or worse, just that there's a broader audience for it and last I checked radio is still a mass-appeal medium.

At least they play Richard Cheese, that's the most alternative track on the playlist.

bobbybooey said:
FilmCritic3K said:
content said:
Or

Um, who cares? Labels who want their artists to perform on a particular chart? Music snobs who think listeners should be inundated with "too hip for the room" crap? Puh-lease. The vast majority of listeners don't care about any of that stuff, they just want to hear the music (and to some extent personalities) they like. If their station is satisfying that need, they'll listen and the station will get good numbers. Look at the most successful (from both ratings and revenue standpoints) "alternative" stations in the country... aside from KROQ very few of the uber-alt stations do that well. The past 3 markets I've worked in, the "Alt" stations have had their highest ratings when they were more active leaning... sorry but more people want to hear Seether and Stone Sour and Nickelback than do OK GO and the Racontours and Muse... doesn't mean their music is better or worse, just that there's a broader audience for it and last I checked radio is still a mass-appeal medium.

Ideally, a well-programmed alternative station should have appeal to both the casual listener *And* the so-called "music sophisticate", and would embrace mass-appeal acts like Fall Out Boy and take risks with relatively unknown acts with highly devoted fan bases like the Shins (to use but one example I just pulled out of thin air). We are, after all, the "dare to be different" format, or at least we once were.

MarcR said:
bobbybooey said:
FilmCritic3K said:
content said:
Or

Ideally, a well-programmed alternative station should have appeal to both the casual listener *And* the so-called "music sophisticate", and would embrace mass-appeal acts like Fall Out Boy and take risks with relatively unknown acts with highly devoted fan bases like the Shins (to use but one example I just pulled out of thin air). We are, after all, the "dare to be different" format, or at least we once were.

Exactly.

That station mentioned at the top sounds absolutely miserable, but I would still prefer to have that than NOTHING like we have hear in New York City.

FilmCritic3K said:
I'll go first...

WFXH-FM Rock 106.1 - The Only Station That Really Rocks! (nice lame positioner there) here in Savannah. Other than an occasional alt-rock song, a classic rock song, or a gold or two, If it isn't Saliva, Godsmack, or a litany of other active rock bands, it doesn't get massive airplay. Yet this station is allowed to report as an alternative! It's horrible and I really wish someone would get the nerve to challenge this lame duck of a supposed alternative station. Meanwhile bands like The Raconteurs are barely represented and songs by bands or artists like The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, TV On The Radio, Snow Patrol, Starsailor, Thom Yorke, Regina Spektor, Paul Westerberg, Me First And The Gimme Gimmes, Jack Johnson, The Decemberists, and many others are being ignored. WFXH, stop with the uncreative playlist and ditch the classic rock! You're allegedly an alternative station...try acting like it! Someone needs to show this market that an alternative/modern rock station can flourish and doesn't have to play hours and hours of nu-metal to do so. Z102, when it was alternative, proved that. 96Wave in Charleston proves it, and has done so for years. In other words, WFXH - stop fearing songs with melodies or acoustic guitars. They won't harm you or your listeners.

2PM

4PM

5PM

6PM

UMMM... this bands qualify under Alternative Rock.
Some of these bands qualify as active rock as well.
I don't you have a freakin' clue what you are talking about.

deadman said:
FilmCritic3K said:
I'll go first...

2PM

4PM

5PM

6PM

UMMM... this bands qualify under Alternative Rock.
Some of these bands qualify as active rock as well.
I don't you have a freakin' clue what you are talking about.

BANDS FROM THE ABOVE SAMPLE THAT SHOULD BE PLAYED ON ALTERNATIVE:
Nine Inch Nails
System Of A Down
Jane's Addiction
Breaking Benjamin
Foo Fighters
Soundgarden
Weezer
Red Hot CHili Peppers
Live
Three Days Grace
Tool
RHCP
STP
Incubus
Beck
Deftones
Green Day

The rest of the Active Rockers and Classic Rockers should be pushed aside to make way for acts like Muse, +44, The Shins, Rise Against among others...

Alternative is a format which has become very hard to define. Many who post are quite dogmatic with their labels, yet I've found it very difficult to find a consensus of where Alternative's boundaries are/aren't and should/shouldn't be. And, as it relates to radio, the most important question is whether the music fits together well enough to create a cohesive sound appealing to a large enough audience.

In response to the last post...

What makes System of A Down, Deftones, Breaking Benjamen and Three Days Grace alternative?
Why did Crossfade, Shinedown, Collective Soul, Days Of The New, Staind, Lenny Kravitz, Army of Anyone, My Chemical Romance, Rage Against The Machine, Stone Sour, and Alice In Chains not make the 'approved' list?

Each of the bands on this list may or may not be described as Alternative depending on who you ask.

content said:
Alternative is a format which has become very hard to define. Many who post are quite dogmatic with their labels, yet I've found it very difficult to find a consensus of where Alternative's boundaries are/aren't and should/shouldn't be. And, as it relates to radio, the most important question is whether the music fits together well enough to create a cohesive sound appealing to a large enough audience.

What makes System of A Down, Deftones, Breaking Benjamen and Three Days Grace alternative?
Why did Crossfade, Shinedown, Collective Soul, Days Of The New, Staind, Lenny Kravitz, Army of Anyone, My Chemical Romance, Rage Against The Machine, Stone Sour, and Alice In Chains not make the 'approved' list?

Each of the bands on this list may or may not be described as Alternative depending on who you ask.

My Chem, Rage, Lenny Kravitz and (I guess) Staind can be included. The others are straight up AOR-bands which was everything the format once stood AGAINST. Army Of Anyone is fair game too I guess. Crossfade is not only non alternative, they're an awful, corporate rock band who bows down to anything their record label asks them to do.

p_herring said:
content said:

My Chem, Rage, Lenny Kravitz and (I guess) Staind can be included. The others are straight up AOR-bands which was everything the format once stood AGAINST. Army Of Anyone is fair game too I guess. Crossfade is not only non alternative, they're an awful, corporate rock band who bows down to anything their record label asks them to do.

With all due respect, this is just your definition of Alternative. Crossfade, Breaking Benjamen, and 3 Days Grace are all cut from the same mold. Either they're all Alternative, or none of 'em are. Also, Alice In Chains comes from the same music scene which brought us Nirvana and Soundgarden, and the whole scene which sent Slaughter back to parking cars at casinos in Vegas.

content said:
p_herring said:
content said:

With all due respect, this is just your definition of Alternative. Crossfade, Breaking Benjamen, and 3 Days Grace are all cut from the same mold. Either they're all Alternative, or none of 'em are. Also, Alice In Chains comes from the same music scene which brought us Nirvana and Soundgarden, and the whole scene which sent Slaughter back to parking cars at casinos in Vegas.

My apologies, Alice In Chains should absolutely be included. As for Crossfade, they seem to be influenced by straight-up AOR bands. Breaking Benjamin and Three Days Grace, while they definitly have more of a place on Active, still re-call many of the grunge bands that you are referring to and don't come across with the same redneck mentality that acts like Shinedown, Crossfade and Buckcherry do.

As for it simply being my opinion of what Alternative is, well, at least it's not as narrow as Soulcrusher's. :)

Maybe the fact of the matter is that alternative radio can't always be fair. A station plays a Breaking Benjamin song....so that means they MUST also play Disturbed, Three Days Grace, Godsmack, Shinedown, Crossfade, Papa Roach, Hinder, etc.....??? Its up to the individual program director to decide what else sounds good and what bands get left off.....based on what they believe their audience is wanting to hear. Personally, when I listen to the radio, its the MIX of music that counts. Alternative stations become boring TO ME when you end up with a block of music such as:

Breaking Benjamin - "The Diary Of Jane"
Nirvana - "Lithium"
Soundgarden - "Spoonman"
Three Days Grace - "Pain"
Rage Against The Machine - "Bulls On Parade"
Pearl Jam - "Evenflow"
Tool - "The Pot"

There is nothing wrong with any alternative station playing any of those bands. To me its just wrong of them to play them all together like that. Sounds boring.

The Shins - "Phantom Limb"
Nirvana - "Lithium"
Radiohead - "Fake Plastic Trees"
Soundgarden - "Spoonman"
Depeche Mode - "Enjoy The Silence"
Modest Mouse - "Dashboard"
The Cure - "Boys Don't Cry"
Pearl Jam - "Evenflow"
Muse - "Starlight"
Tool - "The Pot"

Not perfect....but your still playing all those harder songs, just breaking them up. To me that is a much more alternative sounding station. However....say if I'm in Savannah playing music like that and pulling in a 2.2 rating.....while WFXH is playing what they are playing and pulling in say a 6.2, then all I can say is my definition of "alternative" will do me a whole lot of good while I'm packing bags at the supermarket.

Ben - Insightful post. And your thoughts on this topic mirror mine.

The interesting thing about that first list is that those songs can be (and are) equally melded into Active Rockers as well.

As in..

AC/DC "Have a Drink on Me"
Nirvana - "Lithium"
Saliva "Ladies and Gentlemen"
Soundgarden - "Spoonman"
Led Zeppelin "Rock and Roll"
Buckcherry "Crazy Bitch"
Whitesnake "Slow and Easy"
Pearl Jam - "Evenflow"
Crossfade "Cold"
Tool - "The Pot"

Hmmm...nice observation Saladressing. I guess its not surprising how well some of these "harder alternative staples" fit into an active rock station's regular rotation. I mean whether its alternative or active...it is still rock. Seeing the list you came up with also reminded me of how if I don't hear Crazy Bitch for another 60 years, it'll still be too soon. Nails on the chalkboard as far as I'm concerned.

the fact that anyone is even debating whether 3 days grace or seether is an Alt band shows your modern ignorance. Sirius Channel 28 Left of Center. They get it, mostly on the safe side. Search Heroine Sheiks, the Liars, McClusky my safe boys

beef said:
the fact that anyone is even debating whether 3 days grace or seether is an Alt band shows your modern ignorance. Sirius Channel 28 Left of Center. They get it, mostly on the safe side. Search Heroine Sheiks, the Liars, McClusky my safe boys

The fact that you would put your alternative/indie snob mentality above what your audience wants to hear/responds to shows YOUR modern ignorance. Like Ben said, you can play the Shins, Modest Mouse and The Rapture right next to each other all day long. But if you're pulling in that sweet 1.0 in the ratings, well, your enlightened hip indie rock party isn't going to last too long.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom