• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Working on launching a part 15 am station in northern new jersey area...

RudeBoy

Inactive
Inactive User
hi guys im new in hre but loving all te usful information...so im working on launcing a part 15 am community station in my hometown area of new jersey...on 1620 am, the city is loving the idea, meeting wit te mayor and city council have been great alotof people behind me....but im having problems with distance, lack of equipment i would need and lack of shows... the area is 8.7 miles even with a rangemaster i would not reach the up to 2 miles they claim to be getting with there device... also does anyone know where i can get free automation software, was using sambroadcaster and that was worng great till ma computer crashed and i lost the licensed copy i had !

Covering an area the size of yours, simply means you will need to use more than one transmitter. For radio automation; Zara Radio has proved to work well, and we have switched all of our stations to Zara Radio. Zara will run on older computers running Win98se down to 350 mhz and 128MB of memory. Equipment wise; look to spend about $1000 for a basic studio, and doing right; about $3000 per a transmitter site; for processing, transmitter and STL links etc.

Steve
www.RadioBrandy.com

thanks s much for your input...i ill definately look info the zara system, the studio is do complete with 2 dj setups ( 1 basic denon 2600 setup and the other full serato scratch live setup for mix dj shows) running a baringher composer limiter as well as a baringher bass limiter for sound quality, jazler for commerials, beds, and jingles, the transmitter is where im stuck cause i wanted to get 4 ragemasters thinkin i would get about 2 miles coverage after speaking to a recommeded tech from rangmaster he said only 1 mile meaning i would need ruffly 8 to cover the area and then spoke about needing a innovonics 222 as well as 1 barix instreamer and 8 barix exstreamers sounds like ma budget of 4 rangemasters just went out the window!

Well... In Rowlett/Rockwall theres a part 15 station
that goes 8 miles. with a Rangemaster broadcasting
from a 30 foot pole or so. Then Again it is by a lake too.

Yes I remember him, we want to be conservative when talking about range, I don’t want to say something that can’t be done. I may have told him 1 mile because he is in a metro area, noise floor has a lot to do with range. But when people ask me about range I am conservative, often there is just no telling without giving it a try, so many factors are involved. I would put up one unit and see what sort of range you are getting, then build out from there.

i can honestly say the people at hamilton rangemaster have been so so honest with everything they have told me about the system, i would luv to be getting 8 miles on just one of my soon to be many rangemasters, but the truth is, im in a metro area close to new york city and will never get that type of range!

its work in progress right now...and im up for the task... im one of the fortunate ones to have the entire city in a excitement over the community radio station project and when your mayor or elected officials are ringing your phone you must be doing something that is wanted or needed in the area!

im one of the fortunate ones to have the entire city in a excitement over the community radio station project
You would be surprised, how rare that is; across the country. Many good ol' boy towns, roll up the red carpet and breakout the shotguns at thought of a community radio station coming to town they can't control.

Don't forget! Carrier current AM transmitters in larger apartment buildings; cost a bit more, but worth considering as you expand your operations.

Steve
www.radiobrandy.net

steve you just through me a curve ball...i no lil about carrier current transmitter...im more use to fm transmitter being that i have done tech work for a few fm stations even am was a lot of research and careful planing...i must have bothered and used up all my lifelines to learn about part 15 am.. lolz but i will see what i can pick up on carrier current transmitters....im in northern , nj about 30 mins from new york city, so the plan is to start with covering my first city of 8.7 miles and expand out to to more naboring citys!

Why don't you applied for an Low Power FM license? These Part 15 stations are nothing more than "legal" pirate radio outfits.

willcail said:
Why don't you applied for an Low Power FM license? These Part 15 stations are nothing more than "legal" pirate radio outfits.

I'm glad you found a means to set up an LPFM if it belongs to you and the community and a frequency was open, we applaud you... but to come on this board and proudly proclaim as small fry has done to call anyone broadcasting on a legal Part 15 setup a 'pirate' is not saying much about you.

Radiopilot

Willcall. I think you need to look up the definition of the word "pirate" in the dictionary. I think you'll find it very appropriately describes the way most licensed corporate stations conduct business these days. They are thieves. The following story will help illustrate my point. It's reprinted from an earlier post I made.

Bill. Here's a story you'll enjoy.

A friend of mine, now retired, used to head up the Army's Media Division. Also, at that time he was the GM of an independently owned 5kw AM station in the Harrisburg, PA market and on the side, he and his wife ran a Part 15 AM station using a Trans AM 100 transmitter.

His 5kw had a tough time breaking even after the other Harrisburg area stations were bought out by corporations. It seems as though the corporate sales mentality was to go into local businesses, misrepresent their market share and audience demographic in order to obtain sponsors. Eventually, local businesses were turned off to this practice and starting lumping in his 5 kw AM with these corporate Pirates despite the fact he did not stoop to such unethical practices. The local businesses and residences were unable to distinguish between a locally owned full powered station from a corporate owned station because of the large broadcast radius of each station and image in the community.

But...He had absolutely NO TROUBLE selling advertising on his Part 15 AM station because it was very clear to the local market that this puny station with a puny 1.5 mile broadcast radius was not corporate owned or programmed. As a result, he was able to earn an average of $1,500 a month with the Part 15 AM station and turn a decent profit and make a respectable part time income.

America is sick of the garbage on the corporate air waves and the unethical business practices of corporate America. No wonder the big guys fear us little guys. They can't compete with us.

Part 15 is simply an alternate means of broadcasting when you can't pound the door down to get into
the corporate world. By pound the door down I mean you don't have deep enough pockets to get the right strings pulled.

I'd like to see some way of the average citizen being able to obtain a radio station, but it is way beyond
reach of most people.

There is a silent LPFM about 20 miles from me. They were granted a license to cover in September 2005.
They went on the air for a few months and were off by March 2006. It's never come back, and the corporation holding the license was dissolved by the state in 2007 because no one filed the corporate papers.

Yet, this station is still "licensed" by the FCC! Even though there's no station at the physical address. I
discovered all this because I had thought about volunteering to help them out early on.

But it requires a filing window to open to be able to do anything.

No other business needs a filing window. Imagine, no supermarkets until 2013 or until the next window opens in your market.

That's why Part 15 is popular right now. Especially for us "beached" radio veterans with no place to go.

Because you can't advertise on LPFM, like you can with part 15 AM. I can also set up a part 15 AM station as fast as I can get the equipment and set it up. part 15 AM is true ma & pa broadcasting; I don't need to spend a ton of money setting up a corporation or foundation to go on the air. I hate paperwork! Part 15 AM broadcasting is for guys who hate paperwork.

I don't do radio for the money, but the fact is; it cost money to operate a radio station of any kind. We have allot of mouths to feed around here; not to mention all the expenses going into running a 40 acre radio campus.

William, says it all here:
But...He had absolutely NO TROUBLE selling advertising on his Part 15 AM station because it was very clear to the local market that this puny station with a puny 1.5 mile broadcast radius was not corporate owned or programmed. As a result, he was able to earn an average of $1,500 a month with the Part 15 AM station and turn a decent profit and make a respectable part time income.
$1,500 a month, may not seam like much at first; unless you consider the low overhead of a Part 15 AM station; No expensive land for the tower or office to rent, no lawyers to retain, no commercial power bills, few government hassles regarding employees.

You go ahead and have a blast with your LPFM! While I enjoy the almost stress free operation of my Part 15 AM business.

Steve
www.radiobrandy.com

Well put William and Steve, if LPFM were doing so well and some are there wouldn't be any need to have 'PayPal buttons' on the website begging for money, if the local sponsors are there in a good economy and the station is doing great... kudos, but in this downturned economy how many LPFMs are going to stay on the air with decreased sponsorship, unless of course the money is being moved around under the nose of the FCC regulators (but I didn't say that did I?) for LPFM financing.

As far as Part 15 AM... we are the last hope to save AM, hopefully the listeners/advertisers are aware we are there and come forth and multiply.

Radiopilot

willcail said:
what?!

Well lets see it is much easier to get a part 15 setup than it is to get an LPFM license.

pirate radio outfits?! What DO you mean by that? I certainly dont act like a pirate.

Well lets see it is much easier to get a part 15 setup than it is to get an LPFM license.
You and I will both being playing our millionth song in the row on our part 15 stations, by the time 2013 comes around and the next windows opens up!

Steve
www.radiobrandy.com

willcail said:

thanks for the link steve i will definately read up a lil on carrier current, i currently have 4 rangemasters with plans for another 4 more in a month or so,

i dont think a part 15 is a legal "pirate radio outfit", plans are to apply for a lpfm but currently there are no open windows for appling for starters, second lpfm if im not mistaken are only good for non profit organization which must have been around for X amount of yrs before they can even apply!

ok so i didnt even get to read the second page till now, but lets just say, im very very very radio savy as well as advertising and marketing savy... so right now im still putting up transmitter, but ma station office line is ringing off the hook for advertisting on my (pirate radio outfit), as you call it... lolz by the time 2013 comes along i might be on my 2 or 3rd radio station.... the corporation is legal and paying what my state luvs tax money, i am paying royalitys to bmi, ascap among others, currently signed a deal with my local mall to hold live broadcast events there 2 times a month, my promotions van is waiting to get shrink wrapped as we speak, and the company is slotted to be doing $12 to $15,000 a month not including sponsorship and advertisting money that is already knocking at my door... which i plan to donate about half hack to the community and give out scholarships to local highschool kids for college .....so u tell me do (pirate radio outfit) give back to the community.... hum pirate radio or legal part 15 am station...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom