• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WNWV ADDS BA Smooth AC

Courtesy of: http://www.radio-info.com/news/new-...-clevelands-1073-gets-help-from-bas-smooth-ac

The ailing smooth jazz format recewntly got a sax blast of good news with its return to the Cleveland airwaves, thanks to Rubber City Radio Group’s recent purchase of WNWV from Elyria-Lorain Broadcasting, which had flipped the outlet to adult alternative at year-end 2009 after 22 years as smooth jazz. New “The Wave: Smooth FM 107.3” will air local programming weekdays, and is now using Broadcast Architecture’s Smooth AC Network in nights and weekends, along with its Top 20 Countdown on Saturday mornings. Broadcast Architecture Owner/President Allen Kepler notes the company has overseen several smooth jazz rejuvenations over the past several months, including KOY-AM Phoenix, WLOQ Orlando and KBDB-AM Reno. BA’s Smooth AC Radio Networks is currently in 30 U.S. markets.

Um, this is NOT going to work. Smooth Jazz, with of course the usual Sade, Anita Baker vocals would be better. I call it more of a softer version of WDOK. Thank god for WSBZ!

-crainbebo

I wouldn't say it's not going to work. Maybe it isn't what we Smooth Jazz fans really want. But it's still close.

I've been listening for a while using audio streaming and it's good mix of vocals with a few instrumentals per hour, similar to KTWV Los Angeles, although I think they do it a little better.

The Wave in LA has proven that you can program a station successfully in this day and age with mostly jazz or Adult R&B-flavored vocals (Anita Baker, Luther, Whitney, Steely Dan, Sting, Madonna, Basia) with a few Smooth Jazz instrumentals here and there. Let's hope The Wave (Cleveland) can find a similar audience to prove this format isn't dead or only limited to Los Angeles, San Diego and some resort communities such as Miramar Beach, Napa Valley and Palm Beach.

This is going to be an interesting test. Cleveland is a big market with a sizable African-American community along with a high-tech industry filled with young professionals. Can WNWV attract enough 25-54 adults to stay in business? I hope so.

Gregg
[email protected]

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom