• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WNSH To Stay Country

I seem to recall that WCCC Hartford's jocks made an on-air party out of the station's last hours, playing the loudest, hardest classic rock they could find, including, I believe, "Highway to Hell." The listeners were angry and the staff delighted in feeding the anger as the new owners waited to flip the switch.

That is nothing compared to the last hours as a heavy metal rocker of KNAC 105.5 in LA before it became KBUE and switched to regional Mexican in 1995. Everything from the loudest of the loud metal cuts to parodies of Mexicans and Mexican music that far crossed the lines into racist territory. The buyer finally asked the seller to turn the transmitter off.

Here's the full press release from Entercom.

PHILADELPHIA, PA – March 25, 2019 – Entercom, a leading media and entertainment company and one of the two largest radio broadcasters in the U.S., announced the rebrand of WNSH-FM as New York’s Country 94-7, effective immediately. The station will continue to provide the Big Apple with country hits from artists like Jason Aldean, Florida Georgia Line, Maren Morris, Luke Bryan, Carrie Underwood, Luke Combs, Sam Hunt and Lady Antebellum, among others.

“New Yorkers have a strong appetite for country music and we’re excited to continue to deliver the greatest country hits with the rebrand of New York’s Country 94-7,” said Susan Larkin, Regional President and Market Manager, Entercom New York. “We have a great team and programming in place and look forward to remaining Country's home on the biggest stage in America.”

Listeners can tune in to New York’s Country 94-7 (WNSH-FM) in New York on air, as well as nationwide on the RADIO.COM app and website. Fans can also connect with the station on social media via Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

New York’s Country 94-7 is a RADIO.COM station. RADIO.COM is now the fastest growing digital audio app in the United States and the current leader in local sports coverage. The digital platform currently has over 300 stations and 3,000 podcasts with more added continuously. RADIO.COM is a part of Entercom.

and this is what the link looks like :D - https://newyorkscountry947.radio.com/

Not exactly an exciting brand name but it seems like the straightforward, modern way to do it. Repeating just the format + frequency every break should help listeners remember where to find you.

Now that it is definite 94.7 will no longer be using Nash branding, the next logical question may be whether the syndicated evening show, Nash Nights Live, will be dropped soon. So far, it remains on their website's Schedule.

Not exactly an exciting brand name but it seems like the straightforward, modern way to do it. Repeating just the format + frequency every break should help listeners remember where to find you.

As I said earlier, with no other country station in the market, there's no need to employ an animal or other "exciting" branding to the station. Just come out and say what you are: the country station serving New York City at 94.7 FM. Country music fans proudly identify as such, especially in places where they're in the minority, so there's no better positioner than what they've chosen, one that plays to their pride in their city and in country music. Let some challenger sic a Wolf or a Bull or an Eagle on them if it thinks the market can support two country stations. I doubt that's gong to happen.

As I said earlier, with no other country station in the market, there's no need to employ an animal or other "exciting" branding to the station. Just come out and say what you are: the country station serving New York City at 94.7 FM. Country music fans proudly identify as such, especially in places where they're in the minority, so there's no better positioner than what they've chosen, one that plays to their pride in their city and in country music. Let some challenger sic a Wolf or a Bull or an Eagle on them if it thinks the market can support two country stations. I doubt that's gong to happen.

Agreed. NYC is not a country friendly city. It does well in the suburbs as does Rock. I still don't see why they have to move Country 94.7's signal.

Agreed. NYC is not a country friendly city. It does well in the suburbs as does Rock. I still don't see why they have to move Country 94.7's signal.

They are moving the signal closer to the center of the MSA. This is likely part of an eventual plan to jump to the ESB or other tall Midtown site.

What's good now is this: When someone asks what radio station you listen to, you'll now give the station's frequency. Before, I'm sure people said "Nash." Now, I highly doubt they are going to say "New York's Country." They'll likely just say "94.7" It's all about the location on the dial.

As Nash, the station carried each Sunday both Bob Kinglsey's Country Top 40, and American Country Countdown, hosted by Kix Brooks. The new website makes no mention of Kix. While both shows are quite different, this arrangement may seem somewhat redundant.
If Kix's show is indeed being dropped, perhaps a country throwback program could air during its Sunday evening time slot. Though it would be great to hear vintage country tunes, realistically I would expect such a show to feature songs from the 90's and the beginning of this decade.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom