• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WNNX adds Elliot in the Morning

Prime time for this format is afternoon drive. So they moved the local morning show to afternoons, where the audience is.

I think it's a good move for Rock 100.5. After the Regular Guys ended, the station's morning show always was a bit sub-par IMHO. This gives them a proven show without having to pay morning show salaries. And they now have more personality in afternoons, which had been missing since they let go Jesse Kage.

This is a completely different situation from Power 96-1 using tracks from Jubal's show from the previous day. Yes, Bert is syndicated, but everyone in Atlanta knows he's in Atlanta for several reasons. And Rock 100.5 has no direct competition in the format.

Prime time for this format is afternoon drive. So they moved the local morning show to afternoons, where the audience is.
River already moved Kaedy Kiely to PM drive and I'm sure she's doing better there. She's stiff competition in that daypart.

Rock 100.5 is trying to become Atlanta's version of WMMS, in my opinion.

They could've done worse than Elliot, but that's not the show I would've hired. I would've gone with Billy Madison from KISS in San Antonio. He would've been a much better fit for the market and Rock 100.5 in particular.

The playlist of Rot 100.5 makes me want to heave. I looked at the music log for today; holy mackerel. What a dumpster fire!

The playlist of Rot 100.5 makes me want to heave. I looked at the music log for today; holy mackerel. What a dumpster fire!
Machine Gun Kelly in to Joan Jett is terrible.

Given the constant success of The River, I’m not sure why WNNX wants to play stuff after 2000 instead of staying in the classic rock lane. I know there have been a couple of classic rock variations before.

Machine Gun Kelly in to Joan Jett is terrible.

Describe what happened. Was there imaging in between? Did the DJ give a quick transition? Or a straight segue.

There are many ways to program music.

I looked at the music log for today; holy mackerel. What a dumpster fire!

A radio station should be more than a music log.

Given the demographics, a rock station is not going to get much better than a 2 share in this town.

Describe what happened. Was there imaging in between? Did the DJ give a quick transition? Or a straight segue.

There are many ways to program music.

Machine Gun Kelly should not be played on any self-proclaimed "rock" station, period. The playlist seems to have gone downhill since the addition of Elliot in the Morning.

Given the demographics, a rock station is not going to get much better than a 2 share in this town.

Project 9-6-1 was in the low 3's when the plug was pulled (granted, it primarily resided in the mid to upper 2 share range).

Rock 100.5, when programmed by Greg Ausham and prior to the Braves reappearing on the station, regularly was around a 3 share. Station was scoring very highly in Men 25-54 in mornings, too. That was when the station was playing more 80's classic rock than anything else. That formula was working well and should have never been abandoned. The termination of popular air personalities and cluttering the station with the Braves completely upset the apple cart.

The musical trainwreck that Rock 100.5 and its inept PD call a playlist definitely will not help the station's fortunes in a market where the appetite for Rock music is somewhat limited to start with.

Last edited:
MGK is essentially 2022’s Blink 182. It belongs on both alternative and active rock though, I’ll agree, I’m not a fan.

Rock 100.5 should go more 90s and new. Their lunch 90s show is actually decent playing everything from The Pixies (Alternative) to Metallica (Rock).

One of the top rock stations in the country is KPNT in St Louis. They report as Alternative but lean active with a heavy focus on what was alternative in the 90s and 2Ks. They dig deep at times as well and have specialty shows that give a nod to the hard rockers and the indie crowd. It works! Rock just needs to either leave the 70s and 80s alone or go full throttle classic rock. Won’t happen though because it’s not a “off the shelf” rock or alternative product already prepackaged and distributed across the country.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom