• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WNKN builds a Classic Hits Oasis

I'm noticing very healthy doses of 90s and early 00s country on 94.1 now. Playlist resembles 95.5 WSM-FM Nashville and 99.5 KPLX in DFW now.

AllAccess just did an interview with WNNF's PD, and he says the mix you're hearing is by design:

I am not going to beat around the bush here, it has been challenging, but I am up for the challenge. [WUBE PD] Grover [Collins] has it locked in with the current music. That is why we needed to take a step back and look at what hole was missing in the market. I think we have found it [in] ’90s/2000s.

105.9 The Oasis seems to be tweaking. Fewer 80"s pop ballads and more 60's.
Makes sense since the 60s or not well represented in either Market and the owners say they don't have a problem selling 50 +

Another update on WNKN 105.9 The Oasis.
They can't seem to make up their minds.
Do they want to be Classic Hits or Soft AC?
A recent set.. Bread, Air Supply, Diana Ross and Whitney Houston. That would be soft even for WRRM Warm 98.

Re: 94.1, the 90's / 00's mix worked well one time before. Anyone remember Great Country 94.1? Then, John Dickey had to upset the apple cart (and make all the apples turn rotten) by flipping 94.1 to Gnash. The air escaped the balloon very quickly. What had been a 3.0 to 3.5 share radio station quickly turned into a ~2 share radio station.

Patrick Scott made the correct move, in my opinion, and with 105.9 WNKN flipping format, the move makes even more sense. 97.3 has been playing a lot of the classics, too, perhaps even more so than 94.1, but with its limited reach outside of the heart of the city, 97.3 will always have difficulty making an impact.

Anyone see the latest numbers for Dayton? WNKN wiped the floor clean with 101.5 Hank FM in the beauty pageant numbers - a 2:1 margin of victory. I have no idea what A25-54 looks like. Might be 101.5's worst ratings survey ever as a classic country station in terms of overall AQH share. 92.9 Jack FM also posted very weak numbers, which is amazing considering the Christmas present that iHM handed them by divesting 106.5 and allowing the classic hits format go out to pasture. Alpha does well in Dayton with its Urban/Rhythmic properties, but its other stations are dumpster fires. Is ANY money being spent on music or format research? For 92.9 with its big signal to be earning such horrendous numbers is inexcusable.

Re: 94.1, the 90's / 00's mix worked well one time before. Anyone remember Great Country 94.1? Then, John Dickey had to upset the apple cart (and make all the apples turn rotten) by flipping 94.1 to Gnash. The air escaped the balloon very quickly. What had been a 3.0 to 3.5 share radio station quickly turned into a ~2 share radio station.

Patrick Scott made the correct move, in my opinion, and with 105.9 WNKN flipping format, the move makes even more sense. 97.3 has been playing a lot of the classics, too, perhaps even more so than 94.1, but with its limited reach outside of the heart of the city, 97.3 will always have difficulty making an impact.

Anyone see the latest numbers for Dayton? WNKN wiped the floor clean with 101.5 Hank FM in the beauty pageant numbers - a 2:1 margin of victory. I have no idea what A25-54 looks like. Might be 101.5's worst ratings survey ever as a classic country station in terms of overall AQH share. 92.9 Jack FM also posted very weak numbers, which is amazing considering the Christmas present that iHM handed them by divesting 106.5 and allowing the classic hits format go out to pasture. Alpha does well in Dayton with its Urban/Rhythmic properties, but its other stations are dumpster fires. Is ANY money being spent on music or format research? For 92.9 with its big signal to be earning such horrendous numbers is inexcusable.
Looking forward to seeing the first ratings for WNKN the Oasis after the flip.I'm betting they do better in Dayton since they grab the Big 106.5 audience.
Also that 105.9 signal just seems stronger in Dayton than Cinconnati in spite of what the maps say on locator

Looking forward to seeing the first ratings for WNKN the Oasis after the flip.I'm betting they do better in Dayton since they grab the Big 106.5 audience.
Also that 105.9 signal just seems stronger in Dayton than Cinconnati in spite of what the maps say on locator
As far as I know, the tower is still in Middletown

MarkW. I can't share many details, but I helped develop 2 signal studies looking at format options for 105.9 and at the time I was pretty unhappy with the results. 105.9 could be VERY successful as a country station of any flavor..that's it. You could spin the format wheel for Dayton, but the signal isn't dense enough in Cincinnati. I'm surprised to see Jeff make the same mistake from the 80s again.

Marty: would it make more sense for them to just forget the Cincinnati market and concentrate more on Dayton they've got a really nice signal here in Dayton and they fill a hole left by Big 106.5?

Marty: would it make more sense for them to just forget the Cincinnati market and concentrate more on Dayton they've got a really nice signal here in Dayton and they fill a hole left by Big 106.5?
I remember when a station had to get FCC permission to add a second city to its legal ID that WPFB-FM was "Middletown-Kettering".

I remember when a station had to get FCC permission to add a second city to its legal ID that WPFB-FM was "Middletown-Kettering".
Gr8: I'm not so much talking about legal IDs as I am the market they identify with instead of doing traffic reports from Cincinnati for example do traffic reports for Dayton things of that nature

Gr8: I'm not so much talking about legal IDs as I am the market they identify with instead of doing traffic reports from Cincinnati for example do traffic reports for Dayton things of that nature
Dayton would make more sense than Cincinnati in their case.

Another update on WNKN 105.9 The Oasis.
They can't seem to make up their minds.
Do they want to be Classic Hits or Soft AC?
A recent set.. Bread, Air Supply, Diana Ross and Whitney Houston. That would be soft even for WRRM Warm 98.
That sounds like Americas's Best Music!

Actually, it depends on exactly what Whitney Houston song.

This whole "dual market" thing for WNKN 105.9
is just a fantasy. In fact WTUE covers Cincinnati better than WNKN but you don't hear tue pretending to be a Cincinnati station.
True. There will never be a Cin-Day metroplex that some planners have been fantasizing about. Both cities have their own identity

That sounds like Americas's Best Music!

Actually, it depends on exactly what Whitney Houston song.
Vchimp: my point is the inconsistency. They play that set then later a set of The Kinks, Marvin Gaye, REM and Uptown Girl by Billy Joel.
Like I said, can't make up their minds. Soft AC or Classic Hits.

True. There will never be a Cin-Day metroplex that some planners have been fantasizing about. Both cities have their own identity
I think it would make more sense for the owners to petition the FCC to let them move the tower to Franklin Ohio really be a blowtorch for the Dayton market and forget about Cincinnati

Vchimp: my point is the inconsistency. They play that set then later a set of The Kinks, Marvin Gaye, REM and Uptown Girl by Billy Joel.
Like I said, can't make up their minds. Soft AC or Classic Hits.
Okay, that's not soft. Sounds like Good Time Oldies then.

They should really just be a Middletown station, or at least Butler County. City of license exists for a reason.

Also, why did they always identify themselves as "Middletown/Kettering"? Why Kettering?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom