• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WNET TV Buying Long Island Non-Commercial Radio Station

It's interesting that with WNET set to take over so soon, WPPB was still doing over the air fundraising earlier [on Friday].
Does anyone suppose that at least a few listeners donated with a note saying, "Please don't let Channel 13 cancel [my favorite locally-produced show]"?

So if WNET wanted to seriously get into radio, where were they when WPLJ went up?

Maybe they didn't want to get into New York City public radio, which WNYC, WNYE and Fordham and Columbia's stations take care of. WPPB is an East End of Long Island station with spillover listeners in coastal central and eastern Connecticut, very different market.

So if WNET wanted to seriously get into radio, where were they when WPLJ went up?

Big difference in price. They paid about $900K for WPPB. WPLJ would have been about $20 million.

I don't think they want to "seriously get into radio." This is a small purchase.

I don't think that WKCR, the Columbia University station, carries any NPR programming.

They are not listed as an NPR affiliate. They may be CPB-qualified, however.

The three NYC affiliates are WNYC-AM, WNYC-FM, and WFUV-FM. WBGO-FM in Newark is also listed as an affiliate.

AllAccess is reporting that WNET TV (Channel 13) will be purchasing WPPB 88.3, located in the Hamptons.
I believe it is rather unusual, at least in this area, for a non-commercial TV station to branch into radio.

It can work out well though. For over 40 years WQED-TV here has owned WQED-FM, which is formatted to classical music. They now also own simulcasting sister station WQEJ-FM in Johnstown, PA.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom