• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WMJX tweaking their playlist to be softer?

I've noticed Magic 106.7 is starting to add a few more softer songs to their playlist. I don't listen that much, but I looked at their playlist, and it looks like earlier today they played "All Out of Love" by Air Supply. And I think once a few weeks ago they played "Islands in the Stream." And I was in a doctor's office not too long ago where they played "Can You Feel the Love Tonight?" Are they trying to compete with WPLM?

I do not know if they are or not? Last weekend they did a soundtrack spotlight, which sounded like they wanted to have that consistent pop "eighties sound." The same type for competing with WROR instead.

With that said FWIW, I have had the privilege of hearing From WPLM from where I live, and they seem to be very much in tune with what I would call "the missing format" in Boston also.

I've noticed Magic 106.7 is starting to add a few more softer songs to their playlist. I don't listen that much, but I looked at their playlist, and it looks like earlier today they played "All Out of Love" by Air Supply. And I think once a few weeks ago they played "Islands in the Stream." And I was in a doctor's office not too long ago where they played "Can You Feel the Love Tonight?" Are they trying to compete with WPLM?
Magic 106.7 is 40 this year. And for years, up until the past 5-8 years maybe, they kept to that winning format of "soft AC". might they be returning to their roots? Perhaps Entercom (sic) wants to give Mix 104.1 or Big 103.3 more room.

Magic 106.7 is 40 this year. And for years, up until the past 5-8 years maybe, they kept to that winning format of "soft AC". might they be returning to their roots? Perhaps Entercom (sic) wants to give Mix 104.1 or Big 103.3 more room.
Make Big 103 80's Rock. and Mix 104.1 more CHR'ish AC perhaps?

I have to defend WPLM, as it is my favorite station in the country. They have the widest playlist of any station I have ever heard. It's rare to hear the same song twice in a week. They don't voice track. They are live from 6 AM - 6 PM M-F, and live during much of the weekends too. Their format can best be descried as Soft AC meets Variety Hits meets Classic Hits, but very little is off limits. Songs from the '60s to 2010s can be heard too. I wish there were more stations like WPLM.

Ahhh Scott didn't you work there?

They don't voice track.... but they are not live in studio either for 12 hours a day

They were live 24/7 at one point, they beached the woman doing nights to do Delilah, but there was still a live board op in the studio, and the overnight guy was the morning news guy too....

Yes I know technology changes things.

So being a juke box is better than voice tracking?

Last edited:

They don't voice track.... but they are not live in studio either for 12 hours a day

They were live 24/7 at one point, they beached the woman doing nights to do Delilah, but there was still a live board op in the studio, and the overnight guy was the morning news guy too....

Nope, I have never worked there. The PD's name is also Scott, however.

Despite not always being in the studio, they are still live. Several jocks work from home.

They aren't just a juke box. They play songs no one else is willing to play. The afternoon drive jock takes calls five days a week throughout his show and does a ton of requests. It's fun radio.

Nope, I have never worked there. The PD's name is also Scott, however.

Despite not always being in the studio, they are still live. Several jocks work from home.

They aren't just a juke box. They play songs no one else is willing to play. The afternoon drive jock takes calls five days a week throughout his show and does a ton of requests. It's fun radio.
And it doesn't hurt that Barry Scott is doing his show there too! :)

I know you have an obsessive love for ATD, which is great, and they have their own purpose. But having an overnight guy and a board op doesn't make for great or smart radio. Trying to discredit Easy 99.1 doesn't make your choice of radio any better. WPLM dominates this area and shows up decent beyond their main listening area. If they didn't, I'm sure they would change what they do to something that does.

With the state of radio in 2022, those of us who live on the south shore are EXTREMELY lucky to have both WATD and WPLM. They each do what they're trying to do very well. 90% of the country doesn't have any stations even close to what they're doing.

Not obsessive, you have to realize that I have a strong Marshvegas connection that goes back to 1923

So WATD is my "home away from home" town radio station... I remember when they came on the air just before I started my lackluster time in the business. I have met people from there and am friends with people who were or currently are involved with the station.

It was not unusual for me to go see one of the ATD fill in/weekend staff DJ'ing at my favorite watering hole and I'd be sitting with a couple of the on air and sales folks.

When I was offered a job at WPLM, which unfortunately I had to decline due to family obligations, instead of commuting from NH I was going to commute from our house in Marshfield.

So me making jokes about 99.1 is like a Red Sox fan cracking wise about the Yankees ... but I'm still rooting for my hometown team

They are the WPIG to my WKRP

With the state of radio in 2022, those of us who live on the south shore are EXTREMELY lucky to have both WATD and WPLM. They each do what they're trying to do very well. 90% of the country doesn't have any stations even close to what they're doing.
I was in Plymouth just a week or 2 ago, and my phone only picked up one or 2 stations.

I am very happy that both WPLM and WATD are local, and not part of the national conglomerate machine.

WMJX also changed their slogan to "Relax & Unwind", which is similar to the "Relaxing Favorites" or "(Location)'s place to relax" slogans used by various softer-skewing AC's. And they have a new logo to go with it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom